macbook air vs macbook Pro tests

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Cyburn2008, Apr 21, 2008.

Apr 21, 2008
  1. Cyburn2008
    OP

Newcomer Cyburn2008 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
  2. GizmoDuck

Member GizmoDuck GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'll go with the Macbook Pro. The Air is only for cosmetic purposes, while the Pro vastly outperforms it.

3. E2EKIEL

Newcomer E2EKIEL Member

Netherlands
    I advice you not to buy the macbook air. the SSD hard drives ar much slower than SATA II. and you have only 1 USB port, 1 Mini DVI port and a audio out. that's it. It doesn't even have a DVD drive. The Macbook pro is cheaper and has a better performance in all aspects

4. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Since when are solid state drives slower then spinning drives? Spinning drives have longer seek times because of all the mechanical parts and having to spin.

5. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Do not get the Air.

6. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    I got the 80gb air and its fast enough already.
    really like the weight and how thin it is, fits easy in my bag.

I mainly use it for my school, but also at home i can play c&c3 game on it, no problem [​IMG]

7. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I myself want a MacBook Air but in my mind I know it is inferior to the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Get the Pro. You'll be happier with the way faster proc. 2.4GHz C2D. Who doesn't want that?

MacBook Pro (Lowest Configuration) vs. MacBook Air (Highest Configuration)

Anything in bold is to show it's superiority over the MacBook Air counterpart. Didn't bold RAM because it's the same and the storage can be debatable. Didn't compare screen res because that's dependant on the screen size.

The only thing left is aesthetics (look, weight, screen size).

8. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you're dying for something that small then there is a Lenovo notebook that's about the same size as the Air, similar specs, HDD and Optical drive and about 1000 USD cheaper. I don't know about European prices though.

9. E2EKIEL

Newcomer E2EKIEL Member

Netherlands
    Check this http://news.softpedia.com/news/Solid-State-Drives-Get-Astounding-Failure-Rates-Inside-Notebooks-81133.shtml ://http://news.softpedia.com/news/Soli...ks-81133.shtml ://http://news.softpedia.com/news/Soli...ks-81133.shtml

Dell, one of the most enthusiast promoters of the new storage media, admits that the solid-state drives are experiencing performance issues with applications that use small files, such as Microsoft Outlook. Dell also claims that this issue is fixed in Samsung's new line of solid-state drives, that is implemented in the PC vendor's mobile offerings.

I work at the Applecare Technical Support in the Netherlands, we had the possibility to test all kind of iApps on it and the performance of the MacBook Air is lower than the MacBook Pro.
    Of course, data transfer is faster on SSD but the only way to see that on the macbook air is to copy/create large files from the HDD to the HDD as files coming from peripherics are still limited to the speed of USB or WI-FI.

the Macbook Air is a great notebook if you have a 2nd powerful mac. But I still prefer the MacBook Pro

10. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Actual rw times are much faster but yes seek times are improved, from 7ms~(estimate) to .1ms

11. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    MBPro, the air sucks really bad, for the price you get practically NOTHING.

12. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    lol, worlds thinnest laptop? only 1.36kg?
    yes, you have to pay for these things, but if you have the money i would say buy it.

mbpro is also really nice, a friend of mine has it, but it sure is heavy and bulky when compared to the air.
    however it is very fast and you can run almost any app/game on it.

in the end it really depends on what you want to do with a laptop.
    for only internet/office use i would get the air.
    when you play games and programs like photoshop and video editing programs, get the mbpro.

13. vicv666

Newcomer vicv666 Member

United States
    i own a macbook pro and its really good the only thing i miss of windows are the virus XD it was good to delete them manually XD
    the air is a crap, the comparison H8TR made was god but just aclaring somwthing, the mac book pro 15", the one i own has only 2 usb ports