Macbook Air - No Wifi after install Xubuntu 16.04

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Touko White, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Touko White
    OP

Touko White (not)Banned

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I cannot get signal for any Wi-fi afte r install Xubuntu 16.04 to Mac, wiped and added Linux for nothing then.
    Thanks to the pure idiots who suggested I do it when I know nothing about partition or computers in general :(

How to get Wi-fi work? I still have a PS3, and a USB, in case I need to download any files.
    Thanks.

2. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    I fixed this problem after HOURS of research and I hope you didn't have to go through that.
    So, go onto your main Mac OS. Download the file here and put it on a USB
    Switch to Xubuntu and plug in the USB. Go to your terminal and type:
    sudo dpkg -i
    Don't press enter. Press space and drag the dkms file onto the terminal. Press enter.
    Do the same thing but with the bcmwl file.
    You're wifi should start working. If the dkms file doesn't install first, try the bcmwl and then the dkms.

a9lh-1user and Touko White like this.
  3. Touko White
    OP

Touko White (not)Banned

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, it works now.
    I also posted this at my own site as a tutorial and credited you in case anyone else comes across this problem, because of the way I wrote the title, both threads should appear high in search, hopefully.

My computer is saved, now I'm going to have to try to re-map the keyboard because some buttons are wrongly input for some reason)

4. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    Glad to hear!
    What's your website?

5. Touko White
    OP

Touko White (not)Banned

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    The link should be in my signature.