Mac OS X Lion To Hit The App Store Tomorrow

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Foxi4 said:
As I said before - upgrading from Vista to 7 was free of charge. Your argument is moot.
Free? LOLNO.

You had to buy it. Unless you got it like... a few months before Windows 7.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm kinda glad my dad bought his Pro. At least he gets the lion for free.

And I can use my S$220 disc on it for bootcamp

darkangel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
iFish said:
I'll pay $30 for an OS over paying over $120 for any version of Windows.... You guys say Macs are over priced. But in the long run, they last longer and their OS isn't very expensive. But most of you are pirates, so that doesn't matter I guess.
Wait, what?
When I got my Powermac G3.5, it had OSX Panther installed. There were no updates to Leopard or Tiger, as far as I'm concerned. So I had to pay like 200€ for every new OSX version.

This equals to:
Preinstalled Panther -> 200€ Tiger + 200€ Leopard = 400€ (technically 450€, if I'd been able to update above leopard on a G3.5)
versus
Preinstalled Windows XP -> 115€ Vista Home Premium + 0€ Windows 7 Professional Update = 115€

So, uh, sorry, with Tiger and Leopard I paid just until 2007 more for OSX, than I'll do for Windows until like, 2012 or 2013.

And one last thing:
Macs are WAY overpriced. Actually they share a lot of similarities (as in: components.) with normal pc's, so chances are, that your mac can go just as fast as a normal pc down the drain, even though they might look sturdier than your average acer notebook or bestbuy desktop-rig.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
darkangel5000 said:
iFish said:
I'll pay $30 for an OS over paying over $120 for any version of Windows.... You guys say Macs are over priced. But in the long run, they last longer and their OS isn't very expensive. But most of you are pirates, so that doesn't matter I guess.
Wait, what?
When I got my Powermac G3.5, it had OSX Panther installed. There were no updates to Leopard or Tiger, as far as I'm concerned. So I had to pay like 200€ for every new OSX version.

This equals to:
Preinstalled Panther -> 200€ Tiger + 200€ Leopard = 400€ (technically 450€, if I'd been able to update above leopard on a G3.5)
versus
Preinstalled Windows XP -> 115€ Vista Home Premium + 0€ Windows 7 Professional Update = 115€

So, uh, sorry, with Tiger and Leopard I paid just until 2007 more for OSX, than I'll do for Windows until like, 2012 or 2013.

And one last thing:
Macs are WAY overpriced. Actually they share a lot of similarities (as in: components.) with normal pc's, so chances are, that your mac can go just as fast as a normal pc down the drain, even though they might look sturdier than your average acer notebook or bestbuy desktop-rig.
They changed their policy. Now the upgrades cost 30$ each. From now on, it is cheaper to update a Mac than a Windows PC.
Yes, Macs are over priced, but you need to take in consideration their awesome build quality and their great customer support. Also, they are one of the most eco-friendly computers I know of. If one doesn't care about that sort of thing, then a Mac is obviously not for them. For the people who want these in a product, then the price is justified. So will all of you please stop whining that Macs are overpriced? The price stays there because that is what buyers feel it is worth.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i payed 10 bucks for my snow leopard upgrade. and in case the windows people don't know, Mac OS doesn't come with installation codes and if you honor the honor system, you are allowed to install it on 5 computers.

since this is a mac store only thing, my guess they will start reinforcing the 5 computer rule. but 30/5 = 6 dollars per computer.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Pyrmon said:
darkangel5000 said:
iFish said:
Wait, what?

This equals to:
versus

And one last thing:
They changed their policy. Now the upgrades cost 30$ each. From now on, it is cheaper to update a Mac than a Windows PC.
Yes, Macs are over priced, but you need to take in consideration their awesome build quality and their great customer support. Also, they are one of the most eco-friendly computers I know of. If one doesn't care about that sort of thing, then a Mac is obviously not for them. For the people who want these in a product, then the price is justified. So will all of you please stop whining that Macs are overpriced? The price stays there because that is what buyers feel it is worth.

A break down of why the OS became so inexpensive to upgrade:

- $2000 for a better $800 to $900 PC somebody else could build

Look at that alone, and the price you payed for your Mac is more then one would pay for a more powerful PC with three or four Windows OS updates alone. Apple had to lower OS costs in order to make their system more income friendly. Regardless, the point is moot. People that have their Macs like them and are fine with the investment. As much as I like to rag on Mac owners about the cost, I'm sure they are more than a little sick of it.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
Look at that alone, and the price you payed for your Mac is more then one would pay for a more powerful PC with three or four Windows OS updates alone. Apple had to lower OS costs in order to make their system more income friendly. Regardless, the point is moot. People that have their Macs like them and are fine with the investment. As much as I like to rag on Mac owners about the cost, I'm sure they are more than a little sick of it.

no. many of us have moneys and or can get a good deal. i for example got 25% off on my macbook pro through a friend's friend. there are also student discounts (which they don't check if you are a student FYI).

but i also just bought an old used chair today for 500 dollars... does that make you angry?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
nando said:
no. many of us have moneys and or can get a good deal. i for example got 25% off on my macbook pro through a friend's friend. there are also student discounts (which they don't check if you are a student FYI).

but i also just bought an old used chair today for 500 dollars... does that make you angry?

Troll. Flame. Flame.

Take your flamebait elsewhere.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gentlemen, gentlemen, both OSs are equally expensive. And being able to install it on 5 computers is not a valid reason. How many people will use that? Anyway, it's clear who the real winner here is:
LINUX

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
chao1212 said:
Gentlemen, gentlemen, both OSs are equally expensive. And being able to install it on 5 computers is not a valid reason. How many people will use that? Anyway, it's clear who the real winner here is:
LINUX

Equal? $30 = minmum $120? (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx)

You're a math wiz.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iFish said:
chao1212 said:
LINUX

You're a math wiz.
AN upgrade compared to an entire OS.

You're a reading wiz.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
purplesludge said:
iFish said:
chao1212 said:
LINUX

You're a math wiz.

You're a reading wiz.
Those are both upgrade copies....

If I'm wrong, point me to the upgrade copies.

Oh, I'm right.

"You're a reading wiz"

http://d.pr/DXjo

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
iFish said:
purplesludge said:
iFish said:
chao1212 said:
LINUX

You're a math wiz.

You're a reading wiz.

Oh, I'm right.

"You're a reading wiz"

Like we say up here in Quebec:
Et Vlan!!!

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pyrmon said:
iFish said:
purplesludge said:
iFish said:
chao1212 said:
LINUX

You're a math wiz.

You're a reading wiz.

Oh, I'm right.

"You're a reading wiz"

Et Vlan!!!
I wish I knew what this meant. :x

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
iFish said:
Pyrmon said:
iFish said:
purplesludge said:
iFish said:
chao1212 said:
LINUX

You're a math wiz.

You're a reading wiz.

Oh, I'm right.

"You're a reading wiz"

Et Vlan!!!
It's kinda like the french version of "you just got owned!"

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pyrmon said:
iFish said:
Pyrmon said:
iFish said:
purplesludge said:
iFish said:
chao1212 said:
LINUX

You're a math wiz.

You're a reading wiz.

Oh, I'm right.

"You're a reading wiz"

Et Vlan!!!
It's kinda like the french version of "you just got owned!"
Oh, okay. (I don't speak French. Yet I live in Quebec)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Okay iFish, let me get this straight... I'm the hater here, and you're not the fanboy despite the obvious eye-poking "i" in your username. Interesting.

First of all, a Mac computer costs circa 110% more than its PC equivalent. Don't believe me? Compare the price of the latest Macbook Pro with i7 on-board to any i7 laptop on the market. The hardware is overpriced as it is, but we're talking OS X here.

As far as "payed" upgrades go, let's run you down the Mac and the Windows path, starting from the year 2005, the year Vista and Tiger were released.

Vista recieved free-of-charge updates every now and then, and later on, when Win7 came along in 2011, it allowed you to upgrade for $129 if you were an old customer and for free if you bought your Vista recently. That's a $129 total.

Now, let's see how Mac OS "X" was doing:

Tiger launched in 2005, it was upgraded to Leopard for a hefty $129, then to Snow Leopard for $29, now to Lion for a $30. You could do it cheaper by jumping from Tiger to Snow Leopard, but... that VOIDED THE WARRANTY for some bizzare reason and was againts the EULA. So we're talking about $188 here if you were up to date at all times, circa $300 if you were not.

The latest iPhone not only requires iTunes to be up-to-date to sync properly. It also requires the latest OS X, which is *perposterous*. They're not giving you an option to update to Lion, you HAVE to update to Lion if you have an iPhone4 or you're pretty much buggered as far as iTunes go.

So please, don't give me the "you da hater" bullcrap, you're simply wrong about your claims and you cannot accept the fact that Mac updates are pricier and that their numbers should drop to acceptable levels.

When Microsoft releases a "new OS", it's always with an "Oumph!" of improvements. With Mac's, an "update" and an "upgrade" are synonymous words.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Foxi4 said:
Okay iFish, let me get this straight... I'm the hater here, and you're not the fanboy despite the obvious eye-poking "i" in your username. Interesting.

First of all, a Mac computer costs circa 110% more than its PC equivalent. Don't believe me? Compare the price of the latest Macbook Pro with i7 on-board to any i7 laptop on the market. The hardware is overpriced as it is, but we're talking OS X here.

As far as "payed" upgrades go, let's run you down the Mac and the Windows path, starting from the year 2005, the year Vista and Tiger were released.

Vista recieved free-of-charge updates every now and then, and later on, when Win7 came along in 2011, it allowed you to upgrade for $129 if you were an old customer and for free if you bought your Vista recently. That's a $129 total.

Now, let's see how Mac OS "X" was doing:

Tiger launched in 2005, it was upgraded to Leopard for a hefty $129, then to Snow Leopard for $29, now to Lion for a $30. You could do it cheaper by jumping from Tiger to Snow Leopard, but... that VOIDED THE WARRANTY for some bizzare reason and was againts the EULA. So we're talking about $188 here if you were up to date at all times, circa $300 if you were not.

The latest iPhone not only requires iTunes to be up-to-date to sync properly. It also requires the latest OS X, which is *perposterous*. They're not giving you an option to update to Lion, you HAVE to update to Lion if you have an iPhone4 or you're pretty much buggered as far as iTunes go.

So please, don't give me the "you da hater" bullcrap, you're simply wrong about your claims and you cannot accept the fact that Mac updates are pricier and that their numbers should drop to acceptable levels.

When Microsoft releases a "new OS", it's always with an "Oumph!" of improvements. With Mac's, an "update" and an "upgrade" are synonymous words.
You seem angry. Sorry if I made you angry. That wasn't my goal.

And I see your point. I never said I wasn't a fanboy.
tongue.gif

And we both have our opinions, and I'm done arguing.

You can think of it as you winning, maybe you're right.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not angry, that wasn't my point. I'm not even arguing here, I'm stating a fact that you disagreed with. I don't hate on Mac's - everybody chooses an Operating System that suits them best. All I'm saying is that the upgrades seem pricy and insignificant to me.

I also don't particualary take telling me to "shut up" kindly, so you should conscider keeping that in-check aswell.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry iFish but he's right about Windows 7 being an entire OS upgrade. The upgrade editions install the new kernel etc. Moving documents folders to keep that data intact rather than overwriting them as normal. They're kind of like a bonus to those who upgrade their system with every Windows version as they get to keep their documents with each move but if you skip one you'll have to backup.

Lion vs Leopard is more of an OS patch than a new OS like 7 vs Vista. It does add a lot of new features and makes sense to be paid (though with them instantly cutting support to minimum for leopard its apple's old money gouging tricks again) more so than any updates Microsoft give to consumers (being purely the behind the scenes so it don't break kind of updates which I know Apple give for free).
Yes I know 7 is just a variation on Vista's kernel but it changed a good few other things too and does require a kernel replacement so it's an enire new OS and gets a pricepoint as such. Personally I wish Apple would make OSXI already rather than constantly changing and patching OSX. It must be a bit of a mess by now.

Damn that was a long thing to type on an iPod

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't forget your one a day