Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
m3rox said:
Linkiboy said:
Emphasis on professional. And 3D.

Both of which you obviously know nothing about.
Ive come to the same conclusion after your comment on being able to do it with intergrated graphics.

I'd love to see your 32MB graphics card run 3ds max with a 1million poly model in all 4 viewframes.

I've been modeling since 2001, I know what I'm talking about. Trying to turn my own statement back on me isn't going to work.

Nobody uses 1 million poly models. I don't know where you got that from. If you're talking about a high-res character model. I can assure you that the final model would only be 10k max polys. All of that detail you see is generated in a sculpting app like Zbrush or Mudbox, and applied as a normal map to the lower poly model to give the appearance of detail.

I use Lightwave, Zbrush, and Maya btw
wink.gif
(not on my desktop of course, I use my laptop which has a 128 mb graphics card (it's a Geforce Go 7300), as Zbrush won't run on a 32mb graphics card, it needs a little more than that, but not much more)

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A few of the computers at my work use the Quadro FX5800 which are like $3000 cards and they can't do full speed on some of the stuff they're given. However that could be a CPU bottleneck due to the application.

If you're doing 3D work you'll want something beefier than a standard gaming graphics card, however if you're going for just 2D work a gaming graphics card can do the job easily, as long as the picture isn't of enormous proportions.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Use either Macintosh, Hackintosh or Linux. Stay far far away from Wyndoze. Though for graphics designing, I'd gravitate towards Mac. It has very professional graphics software and is just plain awesome.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
Linkiboy said:
m3rox said:
Linkiboy said:

Ive come to the same conclusion after your comment on being able to do it with intergrated graphics.

I'd love to see your 32MB graphics card run 3ds max with a 1million poly model in all 4 viewframes.

I've been modeling since 2001, I know what I'm talking about. Trying to turn my own statement back on me isn't going to work.

Nobody uses 1 million poly models. I don't know where you got that from. If you're talking about a high-res character model. I can assure you that the final model would only be 10k max polys. All of that detail you see is generated in a sculpting app like Zbrush or Mudbox, and applied as a normal map to the lower poly model to give the appearance of detail.

wink.gif
(not on my desktop of course, I use my laptop which has a 128 mb graphics card (it's a Geforce Go 7300), as Zbrush won't run on a 32mb graphics card, it needs a little more than that, but not much more)
Models prepared for CGI imagery? I dunno about you but in the 3d art classes here they've got quite a few examples of 100k+ poly models and you can easily reach 1 million polygons in a scene with multiple objects.

Granted we don't have CAD grade workstation graphics but they're definitely not 32mb.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
m3rox said:
Linkiboy said:
m3rox said:
Linkiboy said:

wink.gif
Models prepared for CGI imagery? I dunno about you but in the 3d art classes here they've got quite a few examples of 100k+ poly models and you can easily reach 1 million polygons in a scene with multiple objects.

Granted we don't have CAD grade workstation graphics but they're definitely not 32mb.

If you don't believe me, go over to cgtalk and get flamed by those in the industry.

sphere9

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Midna said:
Use either Macintosh, Hackintosh or Linux. Stay far far away from Wyndoze. Though for graphics designing, I'd gravitate towards Mac. It has very professional graphics software and is just plain awesome.

I thought we had established that the software was the same across both platforms now?

Why would I use Linux, there doesn't seem to be much (anything) professional available for that.

Posts merged

And stop the 3D war, I don't care.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1