Mac compatible game?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by SavageWaffle, Apr 5, 2008.

Apr 5, 2008

Mac compatible game? by SavageWaffle at 5:20 PM (2,614 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. SavageWaffle
    OP

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I decided to get a MacBook(Black, highest option available) Refurbished. Its about $1,050 with free shipping from Apple. I do know it has poor graphics. But i need a notebook like now. Of course while im working, il be bored once in a while, i noticed that most games are for Windows only. I do know theres somthing called "Bootcamp" for the Mac to run Windows. But the reason im getting a Mac is to avoid Windows(its overrated =O). I guess what im really saying is:
    If i download this game(Maplestory, i liked it first, but got bored, but want to start over again, and its only for windows) on Bootcamp, and i go back on Mac(OS) and i get rid of BootCamp, will Maplestory still be there? And will it be compatible with the mac? Or do i need to keep BootCamp on my Harddrive(which im trying to avoid).

And if the Mac really sucks, then im looking for a Laptop thats possibly light weighted, and isn't that expensive. Must have "Oh Kay" Graphics.

2. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    You need to understand how Boot Camp works; It allows you to boot into Windows. You will need it if you plan on playing Maple Story. If you get rid of your Boot Camp partition, you will delete Windows and everything that went with it on that partition -- Including your game.

An alternative is to get VMWare Fusion and run Windows while inside the Mac OS without having to reboot. The other option is Parallel's Desktop, but honestly Parallels was so unstable for me.

And don't start a 'If the Mac really sucks...' kind of deal, the last thing we need is an attack from fanboys on either side.

3. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    So if i delete Boot Camp, then everything i downloaded with it is gone too? And what if i just put Boot Camp on my hard drive, then can i play Maplestory on my Mac OS? And what is VMWare Fusion

4. stormwolf18

Member stormwolf18 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Windows overrated ? To me, Apple is a lot more overrated.

Also if you wanna play games, stick to windows, not to apple.

Yeah, sorry to tell, but apple sucks. Just like their overrated pos that is the ipod.

5. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    WINE might be able to run some games. Works great for some Windows apps I am forced to use occasionally on Linux). WINE for Mac

stormwolf18 - Your going to get this topic closed for a harmless question if you keeping spurting shit

6. hankchill

Canada
    Boot Camp isn't a program, it's just added functionality that creates a 2nd partition bootable into Windows. All Windows stuff goes on that partition, so getting rid of that partition would clear everything in Windows.

VMWare Fusion is just for setting up a Virtual Machine -- You can have another OS running inside the currently running OS natively.

And to stormwolf18:
    Don't be a dick. Like I said, we're not here to start a flame war. If you don't want to participate in the discussion, then get the fuck out [​IMG]

7. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    So VMWare is better i guess? But how am i going to install Mac+Windows on 1 laptop without Bootcamp?

8. hankchill

Canada
    That's what VMWare does [​IMG]

VMWare Fusion is an application that runs on top of OS X. Using Bootcamp requires a reboot and setting your startup disk to the Windows partition. To use Fusion/Parallels, you don't need Boot Camp [​IMG]

9. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Awesome. So VMWare is best?

10. hankchill

Canada
    I only mentioned it 3 times [​IMG]

Try both, Fusion and Parallels. Whichever one tickles you the right way is the one you should stick with [​IMG]

11. GodMedia

Newcomer GodMedia Member

United States
    Okay, let's get this all straightened out. Your question seems to imply that you think that there is some way to make a Windows program be a Mac program, this is not possilbe.

You are going to be getting a Mac, and that Mac will be running some version of OSX. OSX cannot run any Windows software at all, in any way without some other special software.

If it is OSX Leopard, it will have the ability to use Boot Camp. What Boot Camp does is literally split the space on your hard drive so that it will be like having two hard drives. One of these hard drive spaces will continue to be your Mac drive with OSX just like before. The other hard drive space can be formatted and you can install any other OS you like to it (like Windows). Leopard even includes drivers so that Windows will run properly on your Mac. With Boot Camp, you will need to decide whether you want to run OSX or Windows each time you start up your Mac. Depending on which OS you choose, you will be running strictly in that OS. It will be like having two laptops in one, but the programs from one OS will not run on the other, this is not possible.

The next possiblity is to run Windows inside of the OSX like an emulator. Programs like VMWare Fusion and Parallels will allow you to set up a virtual PC on your Mac, then you can install Windows on that virtual PC. Then you can install whatever Windows software you want on that virtual Windows system. This lets you run Windows and it's programs without having to re-boot and leave the Mac OS, but Mac itself will not be running the Windows software, it is running inside of the virtual Windows system inside of VMWare or Parallels.

A neat thing about VMWare or Parallels is that if you have a Boot Camp set up, you can access the Windows side of your hard drive and run that copy of Windows inside of the virtual machine on the Mac side. This is still just running an emulator of a Windows machine, though.

In short, there are ways to run Windows on your Mac, but they are emulations, or you will be booting into a different OS on a different drive (the other part of your main drive). This is the only way to run programs made for the Windows OS on your Mac. Even WINE, which was also mentioned, is just a form of an emulator to run individual programs on your Mac.

12. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    Well I know that my old favourite game "Battlefield 1942" got a port for MAC.
    You could always play that [​IMG] it's still awesome, tho a bit old now (6 years).
    Don't know how many still plays it, but would guess a couple of hundred atleast.

13. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    I have to say it, WINE Is Not a Emulator.

14. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Using Parallels or VMware Fusion is not emulation, it's virtualization utilizing Intel VT.

15. DrKupo

Banned DrKupo Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp

United States
    If you are gaming, Vmware will not do. Boot Camp is your only real option.

16. INTERNETS

Member INTERNETS GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I take it that, like most users on the Internet, you have yet to spend more than five or ten minutes in front of an Apple product.

17. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I believe Parallels only does up to DX8. Unless you're playing some really old games, it's not recommended.

18. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    bootcamp works fine with games, i have a macbook air and it runs c&c3 without a problem. i use low settings of course, because it only has integrated graphics card.

19. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    Boot camp is the best option for playing games, because if you boot windows while running mac osx, then it is running 2 OS' at once. This eats up a lot of CPU power, and you dont want that, your game will slow down. In boot camp however, it is only running windows, which means it will eat up less, although still eat up more CPU power than windows machines, because it is sort of like emulation.
    If you have a just a macbook, you should just use bootcamp. All you need is a copy of XP, and then download the bootcamp from apple.

20. DjFIL

Member DjFIL GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Because of your choice to get the MacBook (eew... GMA950 video card, don't worry I have one too)... you are really limited in gaming. and you have more options then I've seen mentioned. On my macbook if I play games, it's either on console emulators, DOS emulator or a OS X native game (there are more then you think). I hate using bootcamp, as I don't like rebooting every time... and again because you don't have a macbook pro (which has a good 3d video card, geforce 8600 currently), fully booting in to windows isn't really worth the time. Here is my list of gaming options on Mac.

1) Mac OS X Native games... just go through the category search on pirate bay or mininova, you'll find more then you think. (including lots of unofficial ports using Cider; http://www.transgaming.com/products/cider/)
    2) Playing Windows games via Virtual Machine or WINE... via parallels or vmware is ok, if not's not too graphically intense (but can't really be graphically intense due to your macbook's video card)... or there is now crossover games (http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/group/?app_parent=4100) that could do this too.
    3) Playing DOS games... this one is my personal favorite... love the retro DOS games (easy to find abandonware downloads for these games), and DOSbox is awesome for this. (http://www.dosbox.com/)
    4) Old console emulators... there are very good emulators of Genesis and SNES available on Mac... another great way to get your gaming fix on the Mac.

One of the things I did before going to Mac... understanding that my "real" gaming on a PC is over with... but that's 100% fine with me since I have my 360, Wii & DS to play games on... but when my MacBook is the only option with me, then at least I do have a few options more then Solitaire (i do love my solitaire widget though).