Mac adress blocked on Wii U to avoid firmware upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by alucard_xs, Aug 17, 2014.

1. alucard_xs
    OP

alucard_xs GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2012
    Canada
    Hi dudes,

I'd like to know if I can avoid firmware upgrade on my Wii U if I block its MAC adresse from my routeur ?

Thanks

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    That'll completely disable the WiiU from accessing the internet. You might as well delete the internet settings on the WiiU itself.

3. alucard_xs
    OP

alucard_xs GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2012
    Canada
    thanks for your answer.

4. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    That doesn't protect you from someone adding the internet settings back. Mac address blocking is safer.

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Then just tell whoever else uses it to stay the fuck out of the internet settings? And anyone who is young enough not to understand wouldn't be able to connect it to the internet in the first place. Mac address blocking doesn't protect you from someone removing the block, if you're really going to take it that far.

6. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    That doesn't protect you from someone adding the internet settings back. mac address blocking is sag
    You can't just tell people that and expect them to listen. They don't listen. You should have seen threads on here about people's little brothers or whatever putting the internet back. People do what they want. No, they can't remove the mac address block if you are the only one who knows the router password. Do you really tell everyone in your house the router password? Maybe you are one of those lazy people who leave it on factory default settings.

7. Onion_Knight

Onion_Knight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2014
    MAC address is useful if you want access to your local lan but not then internet. I've got two WiiU's both blocked by MAC address, and I can reach my Internal Plex Media Center with both, and also use the browser exploit on both.