Visit site
XP
Country
United States
joda said:
Daco said:
bullcrap. a game can be patched. it just depends on how the game was designed
wink.gif
The Wii, in the way it was designed, has no way to persistently patch games.

any game can download updates from a server and patch itself, remember PSO for GC? it did the same.
Activision patches their games aswell if they just download a patch or a whole main.dol I don't know.

Also there is a function in the SDK to get the Wii's MAC.

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
SanGor said:
joda said:
Daco said:
wink.gif

The Wii, in the way it was designed, has no way to persistently patch games.

any game can download updates from a server and patch itself, remember PSO for GC? it did the same.
Activision patches their games aswell if they just download a patch or a whole main.dol I don't know.

Also there is a function in the SDK to get the Wii's MAC.
Here my friend, you are wrong.

Games can of course download stuff from the web, but the Wii does still not have any infrastructure for keeping patches persistent. Remember Wii games are on disks, not installed on NAND. (This excludes WiiWare titles of course, which nintendo actually updates from time to time.)

How do you suggest they save the new dols? You can't force the game to download a new dol on every launch. A normal sized game dol would use up a few hundred blocks of precious NAND space. Or otherwise have the game say: "an sd card is required for running this game ...". No, that's not feasible.

Also, I quote a marcan rant from a while back:
QUOTE(http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-will-never-get-any-better/)
As it turns out, Nintendo chose not to have any operating system or common code at all running on the Broadway CPU. When you run a game, everything that shows up on your screen, ever, is being loaded from that spinning polycarbonate disc. And there are no mechanisms for anything else to run on that CPU: no update infrastructure, no Home Menu updates, nothing. If they ever want to have a “hypervisor” run above games, they’ll need to get a new CPU with full-blown virtualization capability (or an emulator), because games assume they have direct access to the CPU and most of the hardware.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
How do you suggest they save the new dols? You can't force the game to download a new dol on every launch. A normal sized game dol would use up a few hundred blocks of precious NAND space. Or otherwise have the game say: "an sd card is required for running this game ...". No, that's not feasible.
Actually, I just checked 9 random main.dol's from some ISOs I have laying around, all of them are under 12MB (smallest was 3MB). If the game had an updater built in, storing a DOL as part of the save file would be doable, although it'd lead to larger save files.

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
techboy said:
QUOTE said:
Actually, I just checked 9 random main.dol's from some ISOs I have laying around, all of them are under 12MB (smallest was 3MB). If the game had an updater built in, storing a DOL as part of the save file would be doable, although it'd lead to larger save files.
This also requires that it's possible to load and run binaries from save files using official SDK IOS functions. Even if so, it'd be a real hog both space (12 MB is around 100 blocks of NAND space) and efficiency wise. Far from everything potentially needing to be patched is contained within the main dol as well ...

I don't think it's feasible ...

Daco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
pst
games *can* be patched while they are being run. but the game needs support.

if i make the game look in its title for a certain file, and if not found use the disc's version of the file i can easily patch the game

space issue? np, use a diff method. easy to patch big files without needing to save the whole file again

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Arm the Homeless said:
QUOTE said:
[Universal EC20102 bypass - mdmwii - REGION FREE]
F6000001 8001807f
7F83E378 38A00006
D2000004 00000003
3A6000ZZ 9A640005
3A600000 38A00006
60000000 00000000
e0000000 80008000

ZZ = Desired LAST MAC value (it should be different to real MAC)

Requirements: Gecko OS 1.80 or later. Not on USB loaders or Ocarina. (Why should you need to use a USB loader? After all, it is specifically a backup loader, which obviously means you have the original discs.)

Requirements: Cfg USB Loader. It maybe works with other loaders, i dont know but ive been using this MAC Spoofer code for a while with no problems using cfg. And thats from before they added the updated gecko cheat engine.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
SanGor said:
That wasn't patching itself so much as downloading an up to date executable each time it connected to the internet (which is exactly why it was exploitable for running homebrew). It wasn't exactly patching anything.

Daco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
9th_Sage said:
SanGor said:
That wasn't patching itself so much as downloading an up to date executable each time it connected to the internet (which is exactly why it was exploitable for running homebrew). It wasn't exactly patching anything.
true, but later versions do it differently.
but apart from that exploit psogc gets more files from the internet then you think, making it patchable for online play

psobb even has that check i metioned earlier. basicly it looks for certain files in the data directory ; and if not found get the file from an archive
easy patching

EDIT: and as psobb is basicly a PsoX (pso xbox) port + ep4 i'd say psoX prob has it too
meaning it can get patched

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Daco said:
afif95 said:
idunnoilikends said:
Well activison released a update today for the game..
fixing hackers and bugs
A game cannot be patched, let alone be updated on the Wii. So your theory is flawed.

wink.gif

Wii games are not designed to be updated. And that's something good, a console has to work this way: Grab it from the attic in 10 years, grab a disc, play. I doubt that's possible this very way with the xbox360 and ps3 for all games, since there the developers have the freedom to produce crap and fix it after the release.

QUOTE(Arm the Homeless @ Feb 28 2010, 02:39 PM) QUOTE
[Universal EC20102 bypass - mdmwii - REGION FREE]
F6000001 8001807f
7F83E378 38A00006
D2000004 00000003
3A6000ZZ 9A640005
3A600000 38A00006
60000000 00000000
e0000000 80008000

ZZ = Desired LAST MAC value (it should be different to real MAC)

Requirements: Gecko OS 1.80 or later. Not on USB loaders or Ocarina. (Why should you need to use a USB loader? After all, it is specifically a backup loader, which obviously means you have the original discs.)

NeoGamma, configurable usb loader and most likely usb loader gx have the new Ocarina engine now, so i guess that code will work with these 3 too. Just wanted you to know.

Daco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
WiiPower said:
Daco said:
afif95 said:
idunnoilikends said:
Well activison released a update today for the game..
fixing hackers and bugs
A game cannot be patched, let alone be updated on the Wii. So your theory is flawed.
wink.gif

Wii games are not designed to be updated. And that's something good, a console has to work this way: Grab it from the attic in 10 years, grab a disc, play. I doubt that's possible this very way with the xbox360 and ps3 for all games, since there the developers have the freedom to produce crap and fix it after the release.
might i refer you to the posts i made earlier?
it *is* possible AND have the possibility to get the game after 718918949 years and play it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Switching my home routing/firewall solution from pfsense to OPNsense. Boy how I hate networking...