M3DS real review + news - Scorpei.com

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Scorpei, Mar 9, 2008.

Mar 9, 2008
  1. Scorpei
    OP

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Hey All,

I've just (finally) finished adding the pictures to my M3DS real review. Sorry for being late with the review (relativly speaking, as I was the first with PCB shots writing the review took me a long time). But to make up for it I have 2 great news items regarding the M3DS real. The first is regarding DS homebrew and the second is regarding original GBA saves (

2. Scorpei
    OP

Netherlands
    I suppose I'll be the lamer myself [​IMG]. The two things I mention in the post above are:

1. DS homebrew can be started via the game menu perfectly fine, it can also be ANYWHERE on your microSD card. I see why root is suggested by the M3team but it is no way needed (scummvm for example runs fine from the /nds folder). Surprising no one I know has tested this out before me...... [​IMG]
    2. You can backup your own original GBA save games with the M3DS real without using any homebrew!

See the review / direct links for details.

3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Great review, and interesting new features.
    Tnx for the read

4. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Maybe they didnt tell, because it was too obvious/normal [​IMG]
    Knew these for long( "didnt know that was so important" [​IMG] )

Anywayz nice review [​IMG]

5. Scorpei
    OP

Netherlands
    As for the first point they clearly state that it will only run from root, as do ALL reviews I've read so far from other people. As for being able to backup original GBA save games (partially anyway), that's hardly obvious [​IMG].

6. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

Well maybe.
    To be able to run from any root should be normal actually. I dont know why it shoudnt/supose to work.
    As I am doing it from the first day I got the M3DSR.
    +
    Yah, funny that no reviews mentioned thoses things.

7. Demi

Member Demi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is there a list of what games have EEPROM? I'd like to back up some of my saves, but unsure which is EEPROM.

8. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I gather you are using a newer firmware [​IMG]

9. mooiweer

Member mooiweer GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    its a great card [​IMG] i'm glad i've got 2 of them i use 2x 6gb maybe i was thinking silly but maybe its better to use to same type of memory so i dont have to worry about any slowdowns when running multiplayer games. most games work great but with the transformers game the screen has a ugly line flickering on the top side.. with the original gamecards there is no problem with that. so maybe its a good thing to have/buy the original games with wifi online support. (sadly i still wait for my transformers-decepticon i lent out.. so i only have to go with autobots.. if you ask me there's something fishy about it something real bad about lent out and return things.. i'm mad about it grr.. [​IMG] )
    oh yeah with the gba expansion pack i could not load a homebrew program called: looperadvance v1.0 and i still search for a way to run it on my ds.. because the ds is full stereo and has the handy outputjack. so if you or someone else know how to get it work feel free to reply i really appriciate it,, maybe the file/rom needs to be filled up like a normal sized gbarom? greetings

10. Scorpei
    OP

Netherlands
    Nope worked fine from the first FW version (GBA backup anyway) [​IMG]. There was 1 firmware version that killed homebrew but it killed it regardless of where it booted from. Mailed the M3 team 'bout it and they fixed it pretty quick. I think homebrew in every dir support came when multiple directories were made possible for the NDS menu in 2.7A.