M3 with GBMicro; Red LEDs 80% of time, sometimes shuts off randomly

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Lemmy Koopa, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Lemmy Koopa
    OP

Member Lemmy Koopa M3 Perfect fanboy

United States
    Hi. I'm wondering if anyone who owns an M3 Perfect and Micro has the same experience I have. My micro's LEDs are red like 80% of the time despite not having low batteries.

I know it's probably because of the onboard SRAM, but does this happen to anyone else but me? I'm wondering if it's just the Micro, or if it's the battery, and maybe getting a new Micro battery will solve this problem.

It also sometimes shuts off despite not having actually low battery life. Jiggling the power switch sometimes gets rid of the red LEDs. There's also sometimes a buzzing noise in the headphones if the LEDs are red.

2. Shorkio

Member Shorkio GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Does it happen with any other cartridge?

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Same happens on my EZ Flash IV with my micro. Turning it on-off solves it. Just to go red after a while, this time presumably because it really needs a charge :P

IIRC, flashcards need way more power than a normal cartridge.

4. Lemmy Koopa
    OP

United States
    Nope

Same. Sometimes jangling the power switch will get rid of it without turning it off. The Micro does use a different battery, but I'm just wondering if it might be from being a bit old.

I guess this would probably happen on any SD slot flash card, since they need the onboard RAM for the GBA to deal with a ROM in realtime.

5. Lemmy Koopa
    OP

United States
    Another thing I noticed when the red LEDs are on is an ANNOYING buzzing noise in the headphone jack, which isn't good when using my M3 as a music player.