M3 vs G6 vs SC vs R4

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by dover19, Aug 16, 2007.

Aug 16, 2007

M3 vs G6 vs SC vs R4 by dover19 at 2:04 PM (2,573 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. dover19
    OP

Newcomer dover19 Newbie

Canada
    I got a regular DS and my brother has a DS Lite. We both wanna get a card and I'm wondering which do you guys think is best and why.

Also, if I got an R4 and say he got an M3, we would still be able to play together right?

Thx.

2. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Yeah, you can play with every flashcart with any other one, or with original games.

Download Play might be an issue, but mostly for Slot-2-cards.

3. dover19
    OP

Newcomer dover19 Newbie

Canada
    a slot 1 device will have problems with GBA roms though right?

4. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Yes. As in they will not work [​IMG]

5. dover19
    OP

Newcomer dover19 Newbie

Canada
    lol, k. sounds to me like a slot 2 device is better than.

6. redsrule2500

Newcomer redsrule2500 Member

United States
    You prefer GBA games to DS Games? huh

7. dover19
    OP

Newcomer dover19 Newbie

Canada
    no but i prefer to be able to play both, what advantages do slot 1 cards have over slot 2 then?

8. KaliKot

KaliKot Newbie

Slot 1 cards have 100% compatibility with DS, and just drag and drop them to the sd no need to patch them unlike with slot 2

9. Sweater Fish Del

Member Sweater Fish Del GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you only get a slot-2 device then you'll also need to get a nopass to go in slot-2 or else you won't be able to play DS games at all. So since you're going to have to get two devices either way, the better option is probably to get a slot-1 flash card like the R4 or CycloDS Evoltion and then get a slot-2 cart specifically for playing GBA ROMs. The EZ-Flash 3-in-1 (a slot-2 cart that requires a slot-1 card in order to load ROMs onto it) is cheap enough that you won't really be spending any more money that way even though you could probably pick up a nopass pretty cheap these days.

...word is bondage...

10. dover19
    OP

Newcomer dover19 Newbie

Canada
    about the nopass, isnt that only if the ds isn't flashed?

11. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    Yes, if your DS is flashed you don't need a nopass. I would recommend you get a Slot 1 and a Ez Flash 3 in 1. Rumble, RAM, and 32MB for GBA games, so thats a couple of GBA games, DS Browser compatibility, and rumble.

12. Sweater Fish Del

United States
    But you can't flash your DS if you don't have a nopass (or some other passthrough device).

...word is bondage...

13. HellShade

Member HellShade GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    As for the 3in1, it's actually as many GBA games as you're willing to put on your slot-1.

You don't actually write the game to the 3in1 unless you're playing it (or you're using NOR for slot1 to 2 linkage)

14. redsrule2500

Newcomer redsrule2500 Member

United States
    slot 2 can't play both, you're gonna need one for both slots anyway.

15. dover19
    OP

Newcomer dover19 Newbie

Canada
    you sure? my buddy has a slot 2 SC and he can play both. the only thing is he has to patch his DS roms before uploading them or something.

16. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    Slot 2 cards with good GBA compatibility are 2-4x more expensive than a slot 1 card.
    A 1 gigabyte ncard is 50$ CHEAPER than a Slot 2 of the same size.

17. kikapo_O

Newcomer kikapo_O Advanced Member

Malaysia
    I prefer Slot-1 Card. first I owned a M3 lite prefect but now I got my R4 ands it's much more easier than a Slot-2 device. U can save a lot of time with the drag and drop function ;D

18. Sweater Fish Del

United States
    The EZ-Flash IV Lite Deluxe is a slot-2 cart with very good GBA compatibility and most places sell it for $40, which is at most $10 or $15 more than the cheapest slot-1 cards. Plus the cost of whatever size microSD card you want.

I don't actually own one, so I can't say how good the DS compatbility is, though. That's the only problem with slot-2 carts is that you need to patch DS ROMs to get them to work, so you're depending on updates to the loader software everytime a new unsupported game comes out and those updates are going to get more and more infrequent as companies phase out their slot-2 carts in favor of slot-1. (Contrary to what most people always say, ROMs need to be patched for slot-1 cards before they run, too, but it's in-card so that you don't notice and since slot-1 cards are the current technology, most manufacturers are prompt about fixing games that don't work.)

I still say the best option is definitely to get both a slot-1 and a slot-2 kit. If you don't plan to play a lot of GBA stuff, get a 3-in-1 for slot-2, if you do plan to use GBA a lot, then get an EZ-Flash IV or other full slot-2 flash kit.

...word is bondage...

19. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    shouldnt this be in the NDS section?