M3 slowdown?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by reverendmarty, Sep 4, 2006.

Sep 4, 2006

M3 slowdown? by reverendmarty at 2:37 PM (1,448 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. reverendmarty
    OP

Newcomer reverendmarty Newbie

Australia
    Hey ive been reading around and im pretty confused as to exactly WHAT and WHY and IF the m3 lite is suffering from slowdown in games and whatnot. I've read it depends on what brand of SD card you have because of the read/write speeds? If someone would clear up the situation that would be much appreciated
    Thanks

2. reverendmarty
    OP

Australia
    Oh and does the m3 cuse any kind of battery life reduction?

3. leoedin

Member leoedin GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Slowdown happens when the game data wants to be read from the card faster than the card can serve it. This is found in slower cards, such as cheap CF/SD/Mini/MicroSD cards etc. If a card is marked as "Hi Speed" or 60-150x, then it probably will cope fine with any slowdown areas. The intro movie to castlevania is a good example of a movie that causes slowdowns.

The M3 will cause a slight reduction in battery life. If a passcard/key is used, it will be greater (taking out the passme device after booting to the M3 Main menu solves this).

Leo

4. Altezza_lex

Newcomer Altezza_lex Member

United States
    V27 adds 8X Fast Boot DMA, so hopefully the slowdown problem will be solved.

5. reverendmarty
    OP

Australia
    Right so with a half decent SD card all will be well on the slowdown front i assume.
    Thanks guys

6. Topsy

Member Topsy GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Well I hope I don't get slowdowns... I ordered a M3 Lite and a 2 Gig Sandisk... I'll letcha guys know how it works when it arrives...

7. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    Read my Micro info from below.

8. SanderT

Newcomer SanderT Newbie

Received the M3 lite today. Eventually had some slowdown with the Castlevania intro. Upgrading to M3 V27 resolved this. Don't forget to re-transfer all of your roms after upgrading the m3 firmware to V27. Otherwise you'll still have the same slowdown. I have a Sandisk Ultra II 1 GB card, but a normal Sandisk 1 or 2 GB card should be fast enough (don't forget to upgrade to V27 though).

9. reverendmarty
    OP

Australia
    Sweet that new firmware seems to have helped alot with the slowdown then? [​IMG]