m3 skinning

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by kingeightsix, Sep 19, 2007.

Sep 19, 2007

m3 skinning by kingeightsix at 5:42 AM (631 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. kingeightsix
    OP

Member kingeightsix GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    ok, i've been looking all over the net but i couldn't find help on how to skin the m3's gba side.
    i was on the m3wiki site and it lead me to download a skinning program but the program's always asking for a smaller 8-bit bitmap when i throw in whatever i can.
    i've seen other people's skins and they look amazing with all the colours and such. it doesn't look like much of the quality was lost and yet the bitmap still works. my bitmaps won't work because the quality is at 16-bits instead of 8 but then when i try to shrink it, it looks like someone barfed rainbow colours and grey pastel onto my image.
    is there a trick to shrinking your bitmaps without much loss in quality? or am i just making mine too wild? the thing is, i've seen others with some nice designs (all on m3wiki).

please help =|

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Shrinking the bitmap? You mean the bit rate stuff? You can use photoshop I think.. something to do with indexed colors. Give me a picture and I'll show you

3. kingeightsix
    OP

Canada
    holy crap lol... thanks 4saken!.. i was just trying to write up a post and i was going to upload 4 different versions of my image but then i thought i'd just try changing the image mode to indexed colour and i saved it as a bmp and finally the 8-bit option was available! sickkk!!!

4. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    How does the image look [​IMG]

5. kingeightsix
    OP

Canada
    well, the image looked crap at first... i realized that using a gradient in your background with only 256 colours makes the image look all noisy and stuff... even though i used 100% dither. so i cut back with the gradient tool and i'm revising it all. i just have to limit my images so they don't use up too many colours at once. the quality if the image gets worse with the more colours you use (so i gotta make sure i have 256 colours or less in the 1 image)...

i'll be uploading a screenshot of my skin after i'm done... thanks a bunch!

6. kingeightsix
    OP

Canada
    didn't i upload pictures of my skin or was i dreaming?

i worked so hard on it!