M3 Simply Moonshell mp3s skipping?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by FyL, Jul 17, 2006.

Jul 17, 2006

M3 Simply Moonshell mp3s skipping? by FyL at 5:44 PM (1,640 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. FyL
    OP

Newcomer FyL Newbie

United States
    I have the exact same problem with my R4DS - MP3 playback hiccups about once every 5-10 seconds, when moonshell turns off the screens, and when I drag the windows. Video playback is also compromised. Formated at Fat 16, don't remember the cluster size I set. Kingston 1GB - think it's a Taiwanese one. Running moonshell 1.5 with the 1.05 R4DS firmware.

I figured it was a bandwidth issue, as it seems to skip more often when there is more sound in the mp3, a clean vocal didn't seem to skip as often (but still skipped) as a full band playing. I tried encodings from 320kbps to 120 kbps with no noticeable difference in the rate of skip, so then I decided it must not be bandwidth after all - but maybe moonshell's decoding process needs a bit of tuning to work more efficiently on the Slot-1 cards.

Hoping that a new version of moonshell will help iron things out. Anyone tried with OGG Vorbis? Any better?

2. magikalfly

Newcomer magikalfly Member

Anyone else find that mp3's skip when using the moonshell that's included in the M3 Simply? I want to get a feel for what other people are experiencing. Maybe it's just me but I've tried on several different microsd cards, even the latest Ridata which is SUPPOSE to be freakin fast... I've tried a 320k mp3 and a 128k mp3. Both skip. It's not critical but I just want to know you know?

3. AionSkull

Newcomer AionSkull Member

United States
    Weird, Ive had no problems playing MP3's in moonshell, and ive got a cheap micro sd. Have you tried deferent mp3's? maybe they are bad encodings?

4. vlkyr

Newcomer vlkyr Member

I have the same problem for my mp3s and videos that play...

What version are you using

5. magikalfly

Well, the only version that comes with the Simply is 1.5 I believe. I've tried 3 different brands of microsd cards now and 2 different Simplys with two different firmware versions. Again, not a deal breaker or critical by any means but ..c'mon

6. AionSkull

United States
    Do the included startup.mp3 and shutdown.mp3 break up as well? how bad of a skip is it?

7. magikalfly

startup mp3's play fine. It's not so much as a skip as a hiccup every 5-10 seconds. I'm hoping other people have it too so it can be a moonshell error or something and not cause of my microsd cards. But I DID try a grip of different combinations of microsd cards, firmware, format, and simplys.

8. AionSkull

United States
    I can make mine 'hiccup' when i move windows around, but other then that both movies and mp3's work flawlessly.
    im useing:

moonshell 1.5
    m3simply 1.02 beta (although the other versions had no problems)
    on a dslite

Maybe their is something else(i dont know what) useing up the processers somehow? have you tried closeing the lid while playing? that might free it up some, if thats the problem?

weird problem. but i had to reformat my card just to be able to use themes.... and i dont know why that worked. maybe try a reformat?

9. fitzbean

Newcomer fitzbean Advanced Member

United States
    no problems with mp3s, but videos are a bit skippy - i figured it was my encoding however.

10. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    do you have it on 0,0,0?

11. darksavior

Member darksavior GBAtemp Regular

United States
    make sure you format your card to fat16 64k clusters!. that fixed my problem for the most part. i still got a skip every once in a while. i updated to latest moonshell and that works perfectly

12. magikalfly

Same with me FyL. I've tried various formatting with various cluster sizes. I'm glad you have it too..just so I know it's not just me. I'm hoping it is a moonshell error. Slight possibility that it's still a read speed issue but at this point, I highly doubt it. I believe moonshell is on the verge of going final so hopefully they'll incorporate that into the next firmware. and of course, R4 will probably have it first.

13. darksavior

United States
    btw im using 1gb kingston taiwan. just format to 64k, update moonshell, problem solved

and dont depend on r4/m3 to supply an updated moonshell. if you want a fix NOW, go dl it yourself from moonshell's site

14. magikalfly

Ok if I get the update, is there a way to integrate the new moonshell with the M3 loader? Do I just replace the files or what? Because I tried that and failed.

15. darksavior

United States
    delete the shell folder and _DS_MSHL.NDS on your card.
    run moonshell's setup and itll install to card.
    rename the new moonshell nds file to _DS_MSHL.NDS

16. FyL
    OP

Newcomer FyL Newbie

United States
    DarkSavior - thanks for the tip!

I went to Infantile Paralysiser's site, and grabbed the latest version (let it be noted it was dated for January 19, 2007 -- tomorrow for me). set it up, picked the options, transferred to my micro card, and now the mp3's work perfectly! I haven't tried a DPG yet, as I deleted the ones I'd made after they skipped so badly, but I'm guessing they couldn't have done anythign but improve.

Anyways, while it was a secondary use for the card, it was annoying to not have it running - now that it does I'm super psyched. I also dig the customization I could do to moonshell myself, and will probably roll my own with each new firmware update, as I like having the clock and nicer themes.

Thanks again!

17. vlkyr

Newcomer vlkyr Member

Which ROM image did you choose? Like which one you renamed to _DS_MSHL.NDS?

edit: nvm i downloaded the wrong version

18. magikalfly

awesome. thanks darksavior!!

19. darksavior

United States
  20. FyL
    OP

Newcomer FyL Newbie

United States
    An addendum concerning DPG video for those who care - I'd mentioned in my first post that the DPGs would stutter as well. The video would freeze for seconds at a time during high motion parts, although the audio seemed to stay playing during these parts.

After upgrading to the new moonshell, it seems that I get ONE of the long pauses, towards the beginning of the video, that lasts a second or two (audio continues fine) - with 2 different videos. In the first 5 minutes of the longer of the two, I had one small section - about a 1/4 of a second - that lagged, during another high motion sequence. Aside from that, it was OK. Definitely an improvement from the upgrade, although not as wonderfully effective as the music playback.

Just thought I'd let those concerned know.