Hacking M3 Real – what version of card do you have?

Does your M3 work properly and what version is it?

• I have an old "2" and it works great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have an old "2" and it's freezing

• I have a new "E" and it works great

• I have a new "E" and it's freezing

• Total voters

Swalk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thought this deserves its own topic and a poll, to see if there's anything in this.

I have two M3 Reals bought in December that Zelda and every rom I've tried so far work perfectly (including online play), but a new one bought in January crashes constantly - or fails to run roms at all. All M3s were bought from the same supplier, just different batches.

The DS crashes when the gameplay changes and a new screen should load, I assume it's loading data from the SD card to either memory in the M3 cart or the DS and it's when accessing the SD card that it crashes.

The problem seems directly related to the size of the rom: small roms like Mario Kart, Catz 2 and Brain Age 1 seem to load and run fine.
Medium size are intermittent, some load the first screen then crash when selecting an option, others load and run for a while before giving a blank screen.
Large roms like Zelda and Simpsons often give a blank screen as soon as you try to load or fail at the first screen change, but have occasionally run for up to half an hour..

This is using any one of three SD cards that are all Japanese Kingston 1GB with a mixture of FAT, FAT32 and 2.9 or 2.8 and all work perfectly in the older M3s but not the new. I've already had one replacement for it but the problem's the same, still trying to get it resolved. My supplier has been brilliant, but he's getting fobbed off by the distributors who refuse to accept there's a problem.

More than a week of testing with three NDSL consoles, three SD cards and three M3 Reals and a varied selection of roms and homebrew prove in my mind that it's not firmware or the supplied card reader but the latest batch of M3 Real carts, it could possibly be an SD card compatibility problem but the posts on here show people with just about every brand and size of SD card having problems (I work in IT/Systems and am used to diagnosing this kind of problem).

Whether you have problems or not could you check the code on the pins of your M3, the new batch are marked "M3-NdsReal-CPE" previous are "M3-NdsReal-CP2" – 2 = good, E = problems!

If as many people as possible answer the poll then we might get a clear picture of what's going on.

Thanks!

Sorry about the blank poll option, one too many returns and I can't edit it...

Myztikal_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
M3 DS REAL - CP2

Works almost-perfect with roms.

Freezes very rarely, experienced it maybe twice in the last month.

all games have worked so far.

I'm using SanDisk 2gb and use a FAT32 system.

Swalk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the new batch M3-NdsReal-CPE, and so far eveything has worked well other than cooking mama 2, which freezes at the pizza section, I"m running a kingston 4gb microsdhc if that helps
Just cooked a pizza with the problem card! Cooking Mama 2 is one of the few mid-sized roms that doesn't seem to problematic. And it's always worked perfectly with the older cards... I'm just getting more confused now!
What roms have you had running without problems?

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
M3 DS REAL - CP2

ordered it from divineo.com sometime after the new year (can't remember i thinkkkkk around the 15thish), was the Real Perfect bundle (comes with GBA and Rumble packs)

working perfectly thus far, just got it in the house yesterday but i put it through its paces... everything from GBA roms and NDS roms to media w/ videos and mp3's... all of which play just fine, also tried the rumble pack on my older european black ds lite (worried about rumors of the rumble pack bricking some peoples lites... noticed the casing on the rumble pack was reaaaalll loose so i tightened the screw down and gave it a shot) works fine from what i could note, didn't brick my ds either.

the only thing i had any problems with was the built in media player function when playing dpg movies the bottom screen is bright f'en pink and that irritated me also the video skipped a good bit. not sure whats up so i through on a regular version of moonshell and it played the videos fine *shrug*

oh 6GB Class 4 Sandisk MicroSDHC is being used
smile.gif

snowcorn22

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malta
CP2 works fine....
just recieved a new one today and it's a CPE...

Put the MicroSD 4GB SanDisk (i use in the CP2), and games also ran fine so far (to early to have checked many games)
Will let you know if I'm having any trouble with it..

Are there any particular games which are freezing?
So i'll check them out...

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
CP2 works fine....
just recieved a new one today and it's a CPE...

Put the MicroSD 4GB SanDisk (i use in the CP2), and games also ran fine so far (to early to have checked many games)
Will let you know if I'm having any trouble with it..

Check "Castlenavia POR" and DOS.

Swalk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zelda PH, Simpsons, Brain Training 2, Nintendogs Labrador, Catz 2, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, Tony Hawk's American Sk8land and apparently Cooking Mama 2 (my earlier test just shows how inconsistent it is!) have all been particularly bad with some refusing to load at all.
There are others that are flaky but these are top of the list from those we've tried.

kreatosoupa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I've had a CP2 from Kickgaming for about 3 weeks now. No problems whatsoever. I use a Japanese 2GB Kingston card.

Xuio

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have old M3-NdsReal-CP2 and it works great (with sandisk 6gb class4) except DoS intro, which lags... a lot (no freezes though).

snowcorn22

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malta

Zelda PH, Simpsons, Brain Training 2, Nintendogs Labrador, Catz 2, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, Tony Hawk's American Sk8land and apparently Cooking Mama 2 (my earlier test just shows how inconsistent it is!) have all been particularly bad with some refusing to load at all.
There are others that are flaky but these are top of the list from those we've tried.

Hey... so, i tried out Zelda PH, Simpsons, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground & Cooking Mama 2, ALL worked fine and loaded.. also played them for a short while.. and saved progress too...
Did they even load for you? when didn't they work?

Didn't try the others you mentioned yet...

naes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CPE, I use a 4GB A-Data Class 6 Card. No problems whatsoever so far. I use the GBA and the Rumble pack from the Perfect Bundle.

Swalk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Hey... so, i tried out Zelda PH, Simpsons, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground & Cooking Mama 2, ALL worked fine and loaded.. also played them for a short while.. and saved progress too...
Did they even load for you? when didn't they work?

Didn't try the others you mentioned yet...
Sounds like your M3's a good 'un, for me they fail to load 80-90% of the time, 10% they'll start then crash when you begin game play and just occasionally they''ll run up to half an hour before crashing, but crash they always will.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho