M3 Real Skinning Blues...

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Sumiregawa-kun, Jun 4, 2008.

Jun 4, 2008
  1. Sumiregawa-kun
    OP

Newcomer Sumiregawa-kun Member

United States
    So here's my question.

I have the desktop and top_desktop working in their fine, respective bit modes.

However, I also created a scrollbar, bottom bar and a scroll block, and these do not work. I must admit, the "manual" is very lacking in regard to telling me what mode the rest of these images should really be in. Is there an easy reference, or something I'm missing here? I'd really like to get the rest of this working, and I'm sure there's a skinning guru or two who can point me in the right direction...

2. Sumiregawa-kun
    OP

United States
    So... not to be rude but... anyone? Surely this can't be the first time the question has been asked, but I can't find the answers for the life of me.

3. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Download the firmwares and there should be skin1 and skin2 folders in the SYSTEM folder, just make images for all of them, they'll be easy to guess where they go.

EDIT: Sorry didn't answer properly, all the files should simply just be 24bit except for the top screen image.

4. gangsterboi

Member gangsterboi GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    What specs are your pictures? All must be below 24 bit (top desktop 8bit) And they need to be the right size.

Could you post pictures of the files that aren't working?

5. Sumiregawa-kun
    OP

United States
    Sure.

I finally got the bottom bar working by saving it as 24-bit, thank goodness, but the scroll bar and scroll block refuse to show up, no matter if saved as 8-bit or 24-bit. Here's what I saved on 24-bit -- it's effectively a recoloring of the default skin 2 bar included with the M3 Real.

...and grr, since it won't let me post the bmps I have to rar it.

http://sempai-net.com/scroll.rar

6. gangsterboi

Member gangsterboi GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I don't know what could be wrong everything seems to be right. Try using a scroll bar and scroll block from someone else's skin and see if it works.

7. Sumiregawa-kun
    OP

United States
    Yeah, other skins' scroll bars and such seem to work just fine. It's really puzzling to me, mostly because it is really just a re-color of the bars from the default skin2. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? The silver bar it uses because it can't understand my own just isn't cutting it on my design. [​IMG];

8. Chaos45

Newcomer Chaos45 Member

Canada
    If you're using photoshop then that might be the problem, I ran into the same thing when I was making my skin. If I understand correctly, then opening the original image in paint or something simple and copying the image from photoshop over the original and saving it should solve the problem. (I assume the problem you're having is .bmp's?)

9. Sumiregawa-kun
    OP

United States
    Holy crud. That actually worked o.O

Yes, I was using Photoshop. Just opening the original bar in Paint, then copy/pasting the one I wanted to use over it, then saving WORKED.

That is so strange. Thanks very much, Chaos!

10. Chaos45

Newcomer Chaos45 Member

Canada
    Glad I could help. Happy skinning [​IMG]

11. Nagaroth

Newcomer Nagaroth Member

Spain
    You can keep using Photoshop, however when you are finished editing and want to save it as BMP make sure that not only you pick 24-bit mode but also OS/2 mode instead of Windows. That should do the trick.

12. Sumiregawa-kun
    OP

United States

Hmm, I wasn't really watching that. I'll have to try that when I get home! [​IMG]

13. Sumiregawa-kun
    OP

United States
    Hrm, ok. So I tried saving in OS2 format, but it didn't seem to take. What advanced mode settings does one need to have? Perhaps those should be tweaked also?

Secondly, has anyone actually gotten the font colors to WORK? That is to say, I can see that it will allow for changing from black to white, but when attempting to put in custom values for the RGB, they don't show properly. Any thoughts on this?

14. Nagaroth

Newcomer Nagaroth Member

Spain
    Hmm... I had some problems with the color depth and system mode when I first tried, but as soon as I figured out it had to be OS/2 - 24 bit I didn't need to tweak anything else.

As for the font, can't help there :/

15. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Changing font color is impossible in original firmware of Real..It can be either white of black, nothing else..

System for color wasn't ended properly, and firmware doesn't use it..

16. Sumiregawa-kun
    OP

United States

Aw shucks. Does Sakura support it, then?