m3 real perfect bundle impressions, included pics

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by teH XeRO, Jul 2, 2008.

1. teH XeRO
    OP

Member teH XeRO GBAtemp Fan

United States
    *just note, everything i say in here has only to do with my experience thus far with my particular bundle and may not necessarily be accurate in regards to others as to differences in batches of shipments and whatnot.

ok, so i'll get the functionality part out of the way and say it works freakin awesome. sakura's interface and the way it works is refreshing compared to the same boring ways most cart's navigate through menu's and your files. recognizes the gba expansion without any problems and overall the whole package does what it's supposed to do and operates very well.

now for my problems with the build quality of the slot-1 and the black and white shells of the gba expansion. first off, i don't have much of a problem with the slot-1 besides the fact it feels like a tight fit and i need to push it down on one side when inserting it into (and out of) the ds in order for it to spring lock. to make sure my spring lock on my ds wasn't messed up i tested a few of my purchased games and my r4, neither of them fit that tightly or force me to push on one specific spot of the cart in order to get it to lock in or pop out. the microsd slot doesnt bother me at all and the o/s loads just fine (whereas my R4 sometimes i would have to play with the contacts every once in a while to get the ds to read that it was inserted), its just the way the m3 itself fits into the slot-1 that had me notice what i've mentioned so far.

now for the gba expansion and its shells (notice i didnt mention the rumble cart)
    ok so here is my first pic

[​IMG]
    By teH_XeRO

where i've circled you can see easily the corner of the shell doesn't line up perfectly. feels a bit flimsy and the pcb sorta moves around a bit since it doesn't really securely sit in the shell and its only held to the rest of the shell by a single screw that allows for the pcb to pivet slightly from left to right within the shell from that point.

[​IMG]

ok, now where ive circled and pointed to specifically in this picture is the bit of outer casing/molding (white plastic with glossy covering) that lines the top of the gba slot. as pointed out, the part that's been affected by the gba expansion is the upper part closer to where the top and bottom of the ds meet when folded closed. when i removed the gba expansion for the first few times, before i have sort-of gotten used to how to apply the right pressure to take it out without getting this problem, because the shell doesnt fit together nice and clean as shown in the first picture, the shell ever so slighty grabbed the casing in the pic and sort of lifted it as the gba expansion was being pulled out. because it lifted it, it caused a crack in the white plastic beneath the glossy covering lining the slot (next pic)

[​IMG]

it bugs me a little i got this slight crack in my ds now under the gloss, but it doesnt really matter (my ds also has one of those infamous dry cracks in one of the hinges, so i guess it evens things out lol). last thing with the gba expansion shell is it doesnt really fit all that flush to the ds case..one end sorta sticks out farther than the other, as shown in the pic below. my ezflash 4 lite deluxe fits nicer than this.

[​IMG]

now for whatever reason you would think since the rumble's shell is practically identical to the expansion's that i would have all the same complaints about it, but i dont. the corners where the shell meet fit much more nicely together than the expansion, it never grabbed the molding on the outside of my nds to cause a crack, and it fits nice and flush in the gba slot like the dust cover (so go figure).

alright well that's my 2 cents with my new m3 bundle. i hope the problems and compaints ive mentioned dont happen with anyone else and hopefully have to do with a particualr batch of shells that were shipped that werent shaped just right, who knows.

edit: sorry if pics take a bit to load, i tried ot make them as high res as possible so you can see the details

2. Perseid

Member Perseid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I almost let the GBA cart crack the DS but I noticed in time. I unscrewed the back of the cart and screwed it back on and it doesn't do that anymore.

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    didnt get that problem
    I needed to reseat the GBA PCB when I got my bundle because it was tilted
    though once I did that, everything was pretty flush

the rumble pak fits perfectly flush

4. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Thanks for posting those pics up, I've heard few times that people experienced problems like this....Hopefully, my set came perfect for me, no problems you described, I guess I'm just a lucky guy..

I would have no problems with anything than that crack on NDS, it would really piss me off, if something like that happened to me.....It looks like you're handling it well...good for you!

....and I wish I had white expansions....

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    order the extra exp case's from RHS [​IMG]

6. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    I've seen it, but I can't get it shipped to Croatia, plus, I'm not so sure if I need them so much....

I use my M3 Real with GBA expansion in my Crimson/Black NDS, so it's black (it doesn't fit that matte finish, but at least it's the same color)..

7. teH XeRO
    OP

United States
    yea it pissed me off when it happened because i couldnt seem to get the cart out and avoid pulling on the casing..i'm knda over it, my ds is mint other than that (and the dry hinge crack) and it works fine because i take good care of it..i knda messed with rescrewing the shell back together tighter and i try to push the cart directly upwards when i take it out instead of leaning on it and pushing up so it doesnt knab the casing. again, like i said other than the little quirks with the build quality, overall im happy with it because the combination works great. yea and on real hot stuff they give you an option to add the white case for a dollar so i did it, but if they dont ship to croatia i'm not sure who else would sell it.

8. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Well, if DealExtreme starts to sell it (which I highly doubt), I'd buy it right away, as I bought from them before, and there are few things I'm looking to buy maybe..
    But, it's not such big of a deal now, as my Polarwhite is modded, and I'm using a clear transparent dust cover in it....

9. teH XeRO
    OP

United States
    it really isnt that big of a deal...i just figured for the extra dollar it couldnt hurt. the black shell on the polar white case contrasted too much. i'm used to my ez4ld matching quite nicely (especially with the glossy finish they put over it) so the least i could do with the expansion was get a white shell, even though the coat on it is flat.