Quad5Ny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*EDITED*

Hi guys, I just purchased a M3 Real to replace my R4DS but I've noticed some intresting loading slow-downs. We all know the menus on the Real are slow(unless your using the new Sakura OS), but it looks like loading in-game is slower too!

Note: I'm not concerned about a second or 2 in loading times, but rather that the access speed between the M3 cart and the DS is slower(than the R4). 2 Seconds might not seem allot in terms of time but in terms of transfer speed its probably about 1MB/s.

I have tested this side by side with 2 DS's, one with the R4(kernel 1.18) and one with the M3Real(Sakura GBAtemp English). Both carts have a 2GB SanDisk card, ROM's and are defraged.

The game that its easiest to see on is Diddy Kong Racing DS, go to the New Game button and then press "A" at the same time.

(Left: R4 | Right: M3 Real)

I just want to know what everyone else's experience has been.
I haven't tried a SDHC card yet, mine should be here in a few days. Its a Transcend 4GB SDHC Class 6 Card
happy.gif

(Going a little off topic now.)

The back of the M3 Rumble Expansion PCB kind looks like it was sanded and causes the DS screen to flicker when it rumbles.
m3ropenbackfg5.jpg

The M3 GBA Expansions RAM is slower than a standard GBA cart(or the M3 Perfect), I've tried it with Quake2 DS(Simon Halls Version) and memtestARM v0.03 and neither want to run the RAM Pack at full (GBA) speed. Memtest fails at anything but "Slow but safe(4,2)" and Quake 2 DS will only run it on the slowest setting. For Comparison, my M3DS Lite Perfect runs at all speeds just fine.
memtestarmtestingye7.jpg
memtestarmfailvy4.jpg

Also, both carts are too big, they stick out of the DS by about 1mm
ph34r.gif
(I had to sand mine to get it to fit flush).
m3eunsandedxv2.jpg
m3esandedtj3.jpg

(Left: Stock | Right: Sanded)

-Quad
yaynds.gif

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yeah, game loading and patching was quite slow in the old (some would say current) firmware; it's common knowledge for anyone who has tried another flashcart. Fortunately, Sakura have fixed that. Now, if only they fix homebrew compatibility and soft-reset...

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Quad5Ny said:
Hi guys, I just purchased a M3 Real to replace my R4DS and the first thing I noticed was how slow it was.

We all know the menus on the Real are slow(unless your useing the sakura firmware), but to my suprise, game loading takes a (serious) hit too!

Ive tested this side by side with 2 DS Lites, 1 with the R4(kernel 1.18)+2gb sandisk and 1 with the M3Real(kernel 3.7e)+2gb sandisk. Both cards only have the same roms and are completly defraged.

The game that its easiest to see on is Diddy Kong Raceing DS. All you have to do is go to the New Game button and have both DS's side by side, then press "A" at the same time and watch which one loads the intro first..... MY THE R4DS IS FASTER BY ABOUT 2 SECONDS!
hate2.gif

I just want to know what everyone else's experience has been, if you guys want, i can post a video.

P.S. I havent tried a SDHC card yet, mine should be here in a few days. Its a Trancsend 4GB SDHC Class 6 Card
happy.gif

-Quad

Two seconds!? Does it really matter?

Anyway, just use the Sakura firmware, it's faster and easier to use.
wink.gif

Quad5Ny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sakura is a Beautifull peice of software, but when it comes to loading data in-game, the R4 is still faster.

Sorry for the huge post guys, I just wanted to get all that off my chest.
yaynds.gif

strata8

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
*The M3 Rumble Expansion has a completly un-sheilded PCB(in fact.. the back looks like it was sanded), and causes the DS screen to flicker when it rumbles.
That's odd, mine looks and works fine...

QUOTE said:
*And the M3 GBA Expansions RAM is slow as hell, ive tried it with Quake2 DS(Simon Halls Version) and memtestARM v0.03 and neither want to run the RAM Pack at full speed(memtest will only run at 4,2 and Q2DS will only run it on the slowest setting). For Comparison, my M3DS Lite Perfect runs at all speeds just fine.
The RAM in it is for running things that use static ram, such as DSLinux or the Opera browser. It's not meant to be fast. If you want a RAM pack for running games (for Quake or Quake II) get the EZFlash 3-in-1.

*Also, both carts and the replacement shells are too big, they stick out of the DS by about 1mm (I had to sand mine to get it to fit, if anyone wants to know what to sand I will post pics).
From my experience, only the GBA expansion pack is supposed to stick out.

EDIT: Also, try using M3 Sakura with the GBA expansion pack in there, as it increases loading speeds greatly.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
strata8 said:
EDIT: Also, try using M3 Sakura with the GBA expansion pack in there, as it increases loading speeds greatly.

really?

out of interest, loading of what? the OS? games (seems unlikely)?

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Loading of GBA games...and it does load them drastically faster..

Mine expansions came just normally, nothing to sand, fit flush and my rumble doesn't flicker screen at all..I've used my rumble quite a bit (trough all EBA, Picross and few more games playing), as I really enjoy having rumble feature..
Loading of the games isn't problem at all, as you actually have a "last used" loader as soon as you turn on NDS in Sakura, and it starts game right away..

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
with an expansion m3sakura should do all in-firmware processing faster.
m3sakura can't run without 16MB of expansion RAM.
to fix that, they make use of virtual memory, which writes/reads to the microSD.

if you use a RAM expansion, it will use that for memory, which works faster than writing and reading from and to a microSD.

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It just came to my mind that people are bragging and whining about TWO seconds?!?!?! WTF...

Go buy yourself a game if it bothers you waiting for two seconds..
Look at all options you have with one flashcart, with Sakura, you can run multimedia, GBA games ROMs, use cheat engine..and you have a problem with two seconds..

EDIT: And read again what thedicemaster wrote, it's true..

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
sounds awesome. i haven't heard of any other loader utilizing an expansion pack for general functions.

but how do you know this is the case?
i have heard about the virtual memory usage before but i haven't heard that it can utilize the expansion in it's place.

strata8

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OSW said:
sounds awesome. i haven't heard of any other loader utilizing an expansion pack for general functions.

but how do you know this is the case?
i have heard about the virtual memory usage before but i haven't heard that it can utilize the expansion in it's place.

Well, it scans for a GBA expansion pack on bootup... so...

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
When you start NDS and Sakura is about to boot, check under animation on the top, it will detect expansion..
And if it's not there, I believe it'll use swapfile.$$$ instead (and that swapfile is located in Sakuras SYSTEM folder)..
That's why Sakura needs to have a bit of free space on microSD, or it won't work..

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
just checked, i think in general use m3sakura needs 5MB ram.(just menu, nothing else)
4 from the DS, 1 from swapfile(only 1 out of 16MB of the swapfile is actually in use)

Sonius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
It just came to my mind that people are bragging and whining about TWO seconds?!?!?! WTF...
take a run of 100m, there is a great difference when you run 11 or 13 secs
wink.gif

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
laugh.gif

But I'm not planning on running anywhere..If I really need that two seconds for a game, I'll buy it in a shop..But having all those extra options is worth waiting for 2 seconds!!!!I's not like my life depends on them..

I just think some people are so spoiled..

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Toni Plutonij said:
I just think some people are so spoiled..

I agree. Remember a time when people actually had to buy games?

Now people feel they can complain when a product they own that allows them to get every game for free loads two seconds slower then another? Get a grip.

cosmo2389

Trophies
Website
www.myotaku.com
XP
Country
United States
OMG... 2 Seconds... I have an M3 Real, so I know what you mean, but can you really complain about loading time against an R4 when the M3 Real has soooo many more features...?

As for the insert, the team is Chinese (I think), I bet if you wrote something in a language not your own, you would have trouble as well....

And M3 Sakura's gonna kick butt, I'm using the GBAtemp translated one, and I think it's awesome, for those of you having trouble with Homebrew not working, get FlashCartOS because every homebrew I have tried works flawlessly when booted up through this app!

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah quit yer whining about two seconds. at least you don't have a ds-x, that takes about 30 seconds from poweron until you're in the game
tongue.gif
(tons of menus, menus have loading times, then the game has loading time...it adds up)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: