Hacking M3 Real Download Play?

llatnik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, I got myself a M3 Real, and I read in a review that it will actually DO download play, which my old M3 Simply wouldn't (save for Puyo Pop, go figure) and in that review they said they got download play working with mariocart even, how the hell do you do that, I heard you start the game with , okay... no luck there is there some button combination to activate this magical and elusive mode?

mainly for MArioParty in future, but for now having the ability to use download play would be quite handy

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've yet to have a problem with the Download Play feature on my M3 Real, Mario Kart and Mario Party included.

Do you have soft-reset or cheats on when you try it? I know the commonly-held belief here is that it automatically shuts them off, I've noticed that's not always the case.

Also, are you trimming the roms before you put them on your card? If so, what trimmer are you using? The older trimmers would break DP. I recommend using NDSTokyoTrim. I've yet to have a download play issue with it.

llatnik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nope no soft reset or cheats, and i use the rom trimmer from linfoxdomain (M3G6_DS_Real_Trim_Tool_v1.10beta) I get the feeling I'm just not doing it right and theres something huge and stupid I'm missing

would someone be willing to walk me thorugh it? imagine I'm as dumb as someone who both lives under power lines and puts lead paint on their breakfast cereal and spends their afternoons having rousing games of "hit self with hammer till i go nap nap" reealy simple instructions, for someone who needs to wear protective headgear to make a sandwich

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
What version of firmware did you have on your m3 simply? If you have 1.07 or later, download play should work. All the games, including mario kart, work for me on my simply even with soft reset on, as the person above me said, make sure youre using r4 trimmer V2.0, or use what he said.

llatnik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well on my M3 simply that i had and the M3 simply my wife still has they had and hers does still have the most up to date firmware, and have never done download play, nor have i heard of m3 simplys having wide download play support

M3 simply aside, given I don't have one any more I need to know how to make download play work.

Download play does mean when you send a temp copy of the game to a DS with not game/flash card in it, form your flash/original cart yes?

if so how do i get it to work, how would you activate it? I know how i think you do but it simply isnt working for me so what is it you do, step by step?

when i go to the game list I press A on the game i want and it gives me the game options page with soft reset etc from there i either start the game with the A or Y button, and then download play doesnt work

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have some information that might help you.

Download play has given me difficulties with certain .NDS backups which I am unsure of what the culprit is.

Mario Party is definitely one game where download play had worked and then had stopped working for whatever reason. I wasn't sure if it was the M3 DS Real itself, the DS, the memory card or the game.

My first attempt was to reformat the 1gb MicroSD card using SD Formatter 2.0. The format process took longer than usual but after throwing the necessarry system file and 2 ds backups to try one of them being Mario Party, all was successful!

Perhaps the memory card just needed a healthy cleansing but this method worked for me. I suggest trying the same if you have not done so already. The cart may be defective if that fails you?

Good luck!

Digital

llatnik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE(sylux92 @ Feb 12 2008 said:
make sure youre using r4 trimmer V2.0, or use what he said

I tried that with no success but in my search I found a rom trimmer that seems to have fixed my problem, its called: NDSTokyoTrim, if you have a M3 Real I would recommend it, two of the three I found aside form this one however seemed to react badly with the Real, this may however be the SD card contributing as the Real also seems to have a very picky taste in what MicroSD cards it will work well with.
But yes, the rom trimmer was the culprit. well spotted and now lets hope I actually WIN at marioparty, if not i will indirectly hold you responsible^^

Perhaps the memory card just needed a healthy cleansing
It may not have been the cause of my download play problems but things load that precious bit faster, so my heartfelt thanks ^^

mat88

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have 2 DS, 1 DS lite unflashed, and 1 DS phat flashed.
With the Lite unflashed, download and play works for some games ... but with the Phat flashed, it's working for every games. So flashing your DS might solve the problem ...
Download and play isn't working very well. ..

tguellich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does download play work for all games. Say, if a friend wanted to play Phantom Hourglass I could download it to them? Or does it only work for games where it was possible on the cart from the beginning, like Mario Party?

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried that with no success but in my search I found a rom trimmer that seems to have fixed my problem, its called: NDSTokyoTrim, if you have a M3 Real I would recommend it, two of the three I found aside form this one however seemed to react badly with the Real, this may however be the SD card contributing as the Real also seems to have a very picky taste in what MicroSD cards it will work well with.
But yes, the rom trimmer was the culprit. well spotted and now lets hope I actually WIN at marioparty, if not i will indirectly hold you responsible^^

So let me get this straight. You were having Download Play problems and trimming your Roms fixed the problem? From what I have read, it sounds like trimming roms and mess or remove features rather than enhance them.

Download Play has suddenly stopped working for me and now I am trying anything I can do before a reformat of the card. So far I have removed and added a new Firmware 2.9 (SYSTEM) and now I will try trimming the roms I am trying to play.

I'll provide an update if all goes well!

Digital

llatnik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I found a rom trimmer that seems to have fixed my problem
what i meant by this was that the rom trimmer i Was using was the cause of my problem, I didnt know rom trimmers could damage roms so i didnt even consider using the untrimmed roms, which also work, but are hueg ^^

So flashing your DS might solve the problem ...
QUOTE(llatnik @ Feb 13 2008, 12:58 AM)
I found a rom trimmer that seems to have fixed my problem
sometimes you just gotta read the whole thread ^^

tguellich: Download play just means download from carts it was originally intended for,(like mariocart marioparty puyo pop etc) what you are talking about is piracy and everyone needs a flashcart for that, avast ye matey!

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh really? Well I'm glad you found one that worked!

I used NDSTokyoTrim which trimmed enough to have about 340mb of extra space and Download Play has been working flawlessly so far.

Thanks for the program.
biggrin.gif

Digital

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't until late last year that they found out the part of the rom that contains the rsa signature protocols. Old trimmers used to take off that part with the rest of the dummy data. Trimmers created since then know not to take that part off.

NDSTokyo is the trimmer I swear by and recommend to everyone. I especially love the fact that it can be set to "always on top" which makes dragging and dropping easier. I only wish that they would add the "remove scene numbers" function so it's one less step for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.