M3=R4>>Supercard?(new oner slot carts)

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by shonosuke, Dec 29, 2006.

Dec 29, 2006
  1. shonosuke
    OP

Member shonosuke GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    M3 simply and r4 have the same manufacturing
    Supercard seems to be inferior (less compatible with roms?)
    And whats the save type problem i keep hearing about in SC?

2. ambitous21

Member ambitous21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you just have to choose it manually for now.
    1 time only though, as it saves your setting.

3. ym2kmobile

Newcomer ym2kmobile Member

Singapore
    [​IMG]

Thier hardware photos says it all [​IMG]

4. Daemos

Newcomer Daemos Member

Canada
    I'm not too sure what you mean by that picture...is that why the supercard isn't as good as the R4/M3? The hardware or?

Although now that I look at it, I see the supercard uses a battery...and the R4/M3 doesn't is there a reason why?

As well the chips are different too, anyone have the specifications?

5. cornaljoe

Member cornaljoe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    As you can see the SCDS1 hardware is more complex than the M3/R4. So it will have more problems in the start but could turn out better in the future. Also it seems like the SCDS1 uses battery powered SDRAM for saves which is not in real DS carts. That could explain the problems with saves people are having.

6. jocka

Newcomer jocka Member

Germany
    which one is MORE powerfull?

R4 / DS simply?
    help me to identify this chip in the circle!

or

Supercard DS
    http://www.actel.com/products/pa3/

less parts on R4 would drain less the battery...

7. ym2kmobile

Newcomer ym2kmobile Member

Singapore
    As you all point it out alreadly.

Supercard Hardware is more complex. The M3/R4 uses a single chip solution, from the PCB traces, most of them route directly to the IC I/O. It seems that they had got a more efficent way to decrypt & send data from the flash. Thinks this way, if stuff can be done in a single chip solution, why run the hassles of using two chips and transmit data in between them.

Second, the battery. If the cart rely the uses of a battery, thats means your battery will eventually run out. You then have maintance hassle for battery replacement.

Third, the 2 chips solution to me will drain more battery power to the stright forward 1 chip solution.

Fourth, the mechnical PCB layout, M3/R4 had a small curve design for the ease of taking in/out the micro sd.

Lastly, more component add up to more cost. More labour cost for mounting the component. The reason why supercard is more expensive then M3/R4.

8. tachikoma

Newcomer tachikoma Newbie

I need some advice please >.< I ordered a DS-X while back ago, but it has constantly been delayed, I was thinking of canceling my order but now I have the option to choose a R4 + 1GB microSD memory instead. And it would be shipped on the same day so no more waiting, should I do this? How does the R4 compare to DS-X?

9. YodaBoy

Newcomer YodaBoy Member

Australia

I can’t say how it compares to the DS-X but I can say im sold on it.

As soon as some things I have ebayed get pay-paled I’m going to order an R4. I have been following the flash cart scene for 6 months and I have never seen such a consistently positive response to a product in that time.

I have been waiting to see the difference between the R4, M3-simple and M3-real, well the simple and R4 are identical and the R4 is cheaper. If the m3 real comes out and happens to offer more then the R4 will go to my girl friend.