M3 Perfect Lite Saves

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Gman 101, Mar 25, 2008.

Mar 25, 2008

M3 Perfect Lite Saves by Gman 101 at 10:37 AM (1,767 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Gman 101
    OP

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    YAY!! I got my M3 in the mail and my two EVGA 8800GT's today!!! I only have one problem, which is... how do you put the .sav files into the .dat files? It looks like the M3 uses .dat files as the save format for games... which seems slightly confusing for me since I'm used to using .sav files. The readme file doesn't seem to make too much sense, so can anyone help a noob out?

EDIT: Ok, I got saves working for my games EXCEPT Pokemon Emerald. The .sav files don't seem to write to the .dat files, whereas my Pokemon LeafGreen saves write to the .dat file. I've tried different redownloading the Emerald version but it still doesn't work. Any help for this instead?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Converting saves to the M3 .dat format takes a bit of work, but if you post the save you want to convert, and a save from the game you want to use that save file with, I can probably convert it for you.

3. Gman 101
    OP

Australia
    Actually I found out that it's a problem with the save type. My LG version was 128KB (from my EZ 3-in-1) and my Emerald is from the ELink (which is 32KB). How do I convert from 32KB to 128KB?

Here's the save file: http://www.mediafire.com/?qvywaptkoe9

4. Destructobot

United States
    That file is only 147 bytes. It looks like a blank save file from no$gba.

If you got a 32KB save file from the elink, you (or the elink software) must have transferred the save incorrectly; Pokemon saves need to be at least 64KB to work.

5. Gman 101
    OP

Australia
    I don't think so... VBA can use that save file, and it came out as 32KB, so I don't know what happened (My Pokemon Emerald version randomly screwed up on the ELink and it doesn't save anymore for just Emerald version). Is there a way to convert it to 64KB?

6. Destructobot

United States
    I've never heard of a working pokemon save that was only 32KB before. The proper save size is 128KB, and that holds the last 2 saves (the latest save and the one before as a backup), which are 64KB each. If you SRAM patch a pokemon game with GBATA or some other SRAM patcher it will use 64KB saves instead of 128KB saves (only keeping one copy of the save and no backup), but it will give you an error about corrupt data every time the save is loaded.

You can convert a 64KB save to a proper 128KB save by appending it to itself and then loading it in an unpatched copy of the game in VBA, then saving in-game (make sure you have the save type set to 'Flash' or 'Auto Detect', and the save size set to 'Flash 128k'). I suppose you could try that with the 32KB file, but I doubt it will work. All you have to do is open the save in a hex editor, copy the entire file, and paste it onto the end of itself three times to get a 128KB file.

7. Gman 101
    OP

Australia
    Ok I just realised, it possibly came about from NO$GBA, which has now screwed it all up T__T

Luckily, I had a save states on VBA, but now if I try to save in game, it would come up with an error saying that it couldn't be saved and it looked for a backup save. Is there a way to save?

EDITE: IGNORE ABOVE

To update a bit, I managed to get back the save file which is now 64KB, but it still doesn't work in the damned M3... any other suggestions?