Hardware m3 miniSD memory

revred

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
-There is a memory chip on the M3 Adapter cart that might be limited of erase-write cycles. Is it true? how many?
-I like to play games like Pokemon,DBZ et cetera. These games require a lot of saves and a regular game pack is limited to 10,000 write cycles. Does the M3 is limited too?

THANKS!!!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The "limit" you speak of is the minimum amount of writes to a flash memory before "flash senility".

Because of the way the flash memory works, some bits inside the memory card might become invalid, and become unwriteable. The card controller or reader/writer then isolates the whole memory block containing that bit (1KB, usually), and the card loses that much capacity.

You can still continue to use that card, but more and more faulty bits will pop up with time. This is called "senility".
This happens when you write to the card, so it can't corrupt the data. If the writer sees it can't write to a particular bit, it decides the bit's invalid, and isolates it.

The actual limit at which the senility occurs is about two to three times the declared number, because of a huge safety margin.

The limit is usually very big. Don't worry, a single game can't reach it. Or more games, for that matter.

Flashcards have the declared limit because the memory is built-in and can't be replaced. The M3 is an adaptor type card, where you use a replaceable memory card. I don't think the limit applies to it. Since the saves are written to the memory card, the "limit" is the limit of the card, not the M3.

And the life of a memory card is so long, you'll sooner buy a bigger memory card than reach the read/write "limit".

More about flash memory here

Don't worry, be happy
gbasp.gif

revred

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your reply!!!
The "limited" that I mentioned is: every time you load a game to the fast memory, one write is off. I mean that if you have 10000 erase-write cycles and you load a game to the memory, 9999 erase-write cycles left.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.