Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

maduin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, you sclite people have me convinced, even though the voting is dead even, at 27 vs 27, I haven't heard a single good argument (or any argument for that reason) to why I should get an M3, which leads me to believe that the supercard lite users are much more knowledgable about their products, and know what their talking about. Ordering a SClite from kicktrading now. :up:

maduin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just got everything I needed. Supercard lite and superkey from kicktrading, a 1GB microsd and usb card reader from ebay. I'm a little weary about the ebay stuff, but hopefully it'll be good. THe 1GB microsd I got is just the starndard speed as opposed to the ultra, but I'm hoping to not get that much slowdown. Hopefully it'll all get here within the next week.

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need someone to say something good about the M3? Here ya go.

I got the Supercard CF in January when I got my first phat silver DS. It worked great for a long time. I never really liked the menu as everyone seems to agree about, it is ugly but quick with no pausing for a stupid disclaimer. I also got a M3 miniSD in June and a DS Lite and Superkey as an early birthday present from my girlfriend and then she had the Supercard CF and DS Phat and recently she traded it in for a DS Lite on my Gamestop warranty for a DS Lite by saying that the DS Download Play didn't work (what we didn't tell him was it was through an M3 DS Lite) but I digress. Later on I got my G6 Lite because I like to waste money and I knew I'd love it. Realhotstuff just shipped me a supercard lite today as well because I wanted to try it and it was the cheapest flush card so I bought it for my girlfriend's and her shiny new DS Lite.

Anyways, that was just so you could know that I've experienced all the menu crap, saving problems, compatibility issues, etc. I probably know most of everything about these 3 cards now, including how they interact with each other and such. There are alot of other things about Supercard (they're all generally the same I believe) and M3 Lite (based off what I know about M3 miniSD....probably as close as you can get to knowing about M3 Lite right now) that you should know. I apologize if it is a little disoragnized, but I have a lot to say about them so I'd rather write more than spend my time organizing it into a pretty little walkthrough or something.

1. The backup (not saves in general) system is probably the best at least in my opinion. There is no restarting for saves, but I'll talk about that when I discuss the M3. The thing you should know is that when you place games on your supercard, the only restriction is that the savegame and the converted ROM must be in the same folder. What I liked about this was that I could make separate folders for every game I had, and when I wanted to move game+savegame off or on the card, it was an easy cut+paste operation for every game I was interested. What's different about the M3 is that when you move games to or from the card, all your savegames have to be in a folder on the root called DSSAVE or correspondingly, GAMESAVE/GBASAVE for GBA games. What I didn't like about this was that in order to move as fast as possible when choosing games for the card, I decided to open two folders taking up half the space of the screen each and ctrl-click the left side (my computer's/M3's Rom storage) and then ctrl click the right side (my computer's/M3's save storage) then copy paste both at the same time. Ok whatever, I digress again. My point is that it's faster to transfer files in my experience using Supercard rather than M3.

2. Not to rain on the M3's parade, there is a lot that makes up for the first part. The M3 has an extremely effective saving system, both for DS and GBA. Real-Time savegames aren't possible for the DS yet, but as an alternative, M3 allows you to have like 200 saves for every DS game. The Engrish used to make this possible in the M3 manager is a little unwieldy, but with a little cunning you can get very used to it. I used this in Animal Crossing to test out like 10 custom maps I made while in the process of trying to get my girlfriend interested in ACWW by writing a little message in Black and Pink Roses on her (newly made) town, all while not having to access the computer every time I wanted to try something new or take up lots of space on the card by making 15 copies of Animal Crossing like I would've had to do with Supercard (correct me if I'm wrong). On the GBA side, I am more than happy in every way with the M3's savegame menu. It allows you to have 3 real-time saves (more than enough) and again, 200 (maybe even more) regular savegames. In addition, you don't even have to make the 2nd or 3rd real-time save until you really need it, since the M3 itself will create one on the fly, and then you can delete it later if desired. GBA save menu points, and some DS save brownie points easily go to the M3 (assuming you care at all, of course). Only point of annoyance with M3 real-time saves is that it takes a few seconds to save the game when you do, but it's worth it. As a side note, the G6 even takes this further

3. It's been said before, but I'll say it again, GBA compatibility on the supercard sucks. It really sucks. Many games don't run at all, others run too slow to care. This was one of the main reasons I got the M3 in the first place, and looking back, I'll boldly say I wish I got an M3 in the first place, although I appreciate the fact that since my girlfriend has had my supercard CF for a while now (yeah...in a DS Lite now, no less) she has been playing Mario Kart, ACWW, Metroid Prime and Tetris with me 3 states away. I digress again...Back on topic, the GBA compatibility really does add that much more value for me. I gave up trying to play GBA games on my Supercard quick after realizing no game seemed to impress me after seeing how slow they ran. All that needs to be said is that Supercard needs a GBA compatibility list, and I've never needed or found one for the M3. Go take a look at M3wiki.com, the best place to find DS compatibility for the M3 and you'll see their GBA compatibility list is like 10 titles long, with every other of the 2500 roms conspicuously absent.

4. Now, at risk of being flamed by Supercard aficionados, I'll have to say this about it's DS Compatibility. It's good, nay GREAT for it's/their price. But...my experience with the M3's has been much better. OK, you might say "Mario Basket". And I'll give you that, but I'll also say right back at you..."Star Fox", and I also remember Rockman ZX and Tetris' little problem. Now take these words with a grain of salt, and remember the price difference between Supercard and M3 because they are only a couple of examples. But anyway, Tetris came out needing to save on a similarly savegamed original DS cart. OK....well there went my Meteos save....bang. Now maybe things have changed since then, when I used a big old purple superpass and meteos (Later, Tetris when I got fed up with the little save on DS cart thingy), but as I see at (in my experience) the trusted dualscene.net DS compatibility list, it looks like Rockman ZX has the same problem. If I still had that old setup, I guess bye bye to Meteos' save again. Then again, reinmoon can help with that I suppose. But OK my point is that I've never experienced such problems with the M3. Also, the thing nobody wanted to mention during the little "M3 SUXORZ"/"Supercard SUXORZ" little flame war about Mario Basket and then Starfox is that M3 released a patch that fixed the Mario Basket problem a day, maybe two days later after the problem occurred. I KNOW that it took Supercard longer, at least a week or two, maybe longer if I'm not mistaken to release a fix for Starfox, because I wasn't able to try multiplayer out against my now-Supercard-toting girlfriend before I left NJ to drive 3 hours home when Starfox's ROM came out.

OK....that's enough for now. I'm winded from all this talking. I know there's something else I wanted to say between M3 and Supercard but I'll add it maybe a little later tonight. Just a little food for thought.
tongue.gif

OK actually, I take it back... I remembered three (hopefully the last) things, and they haven't been said yet, and I'd actually like to know what others think.

5. It should be widely known that the M3 Lite has a side-loading microSD cart, and the Supercard Lite has a front loading one. Now, I used to think I would prefer a front loading one back when I was looking at the difference between Supercard CF and Supercard SD, and how M3 CF side loaded, yada yada yada. But my main concern was that it seemed to be common that it was hard to get the cards in and out of the DS and that the connections made strange sounds when you plugged it in/out. Well now that I've had an M3 miniSD and it seems all the cards now are made sleeker and fit nicer, I can tell you...I'd rather have a side-loader. It's happened many times where I've accidentally hit the card when it's sitting in there, and I've wondered if I wasn't as careful as I am, whether or not one day I'd just have lost my 35 dollar 1GB miniSD card. Also, It's really not that big a deal to unplug my M3 mini alot, since I do it anyway, switching between DS Lite and GB Micro. Also, I'd personally like there NOT to be a little slot for the microSD card noticeable from the outside, I like the whole "stealth" look. I guess the side/front loading really comes down to personal preference.

6. In my opinion, the Supercard Lite is the LEAST likely to get switchable colors in the future. First, the comparably cheap cost gives them no real incentive to offere them...economically, theres no reason to. Sure it'd be great, but did they offered a change of color between the last carts? Ok maybe that's a little speculative, but what's with the matte purple CF, clear blue SD, clear purple miniSD, and don't forget again that they haven't released more than one color for their latest microSD cart, and nobody is complaining about it essentially. On the M3 front, considering what I've gathered over the past months, G6 and M3 are essentially the same company, with separate teams. No word yet about the menu differences but you have to admit, compatibility is very similar, little nuances like the similar boot up screen blah blah blah all I'm saying is that I'd bet that M3 will allow some sort of color customization with their "flush cart".

7. Last but not least, yeah maybe the menu in the M3 is a little much, maybe they should allow you to "Supercard it up" I guess you could say, but it is what it is. It's made to have a lot of features. That said, when I switched from M3 to G6 menus, I liked it...A LOT. Just go look at my post about the G6 icons, nobody does that much work without caring a whole crap of a lot about his menu customization abilities. That said, my point is, the Supercard's menu isn't changing. Think about it, it's like a feature. Simplicity, for an affordable price. A DS cart for a DS, and it ouldn't get simpler without allowing you to psychically change the rom that will boot up before you turn on the DS. The M3 menu, however, has a lot of potential. One of their "features" is having a LOT of options, and I think they build that in fairly well. Also, lets speculate again for a bit, I'd say the M3 menu will change, for the better. If the G6 added iconifying, you can bet the M3 will be the next to do it. They're brothers, it goes without saying that one will build on the successes of the other. Would you feel more comfortable with a simple menu for a simple price, or do you want there to be a future for your menu? Anyways, thats all I have to say about that.

Whew, I'm even more winded now, but I felt like all this had to be said. Read over my post again if you like, but really it all comes down to preference. Price can be a big factor, I know...but In my opinion I think you're getting your money's worth with an M3. Of course you could argue that if you never play GBA roms, and absolutely adore the Supercard's design, have a white DS lite, and don't care about any whiz bang added value. The Supercard Lite is without a doubt a wonderful starting flash card, I know I was amazed at even the Supercard CF when I got it, it was great. But now my tastes have changed, I realized what else was out there, and I knew the M3 was for me.

At the very least, now you can't say nobody covered the M3's bases, right? Funny story: I just realized you said you already ordered SCLite from Kicktrading. Oh well, hopefully someone else will find my post helpful.
wacko.gif
wtf.gif
smile.gif

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have huge GBA problems with Supercard, only about 1 in 10 to 20 titles run slowly in my experience. You make it sound like they all run slow ... why ? do you really have one ?

note.. I didn't quote you're post for obvious reasons.

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No quoting needed.
From what I remember, I really didn't like how most of my favorite GBA games ran on my supercard CF. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but all I know is that it was enough to make me not want to play GBA games ever. Oh and I forgot to mention the buttons you had to press in order to not lose GBA game saves. Really really jaded me after losing a big save once or twice I guess. I think the GBA stuff just made me want an M3 that much more, because there are so many GBA games I haven't played/finished and I was more than glad with my M3 experience. Just my two cents
happy.gif

Oh and yes I very much did have a Supercard. My GF has it now.

bennyx8903

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^ totally agree with the GBA part about SC, which made me lose some major saves....made me lose interest in playing GBA games, since each game takes 15 seconds to load up, and saving needs the button pressing. but for the DS part about SC, is fantastic, love it so much, quick to load, easy to save, easy to access. for the 6 month i used SCSD, nvr had single problem with DS games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.