m3 lite micro sd on gba sp

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by aphexpusher, May 6, 2008.

May 6, 2008
  1. aphexpusher
    OP

Member aphexpusher GBAtemp Regular

United States
    is this possible? if so how? the gba plays gb and gbc carts so it should be able to load straight from m3 lite right? an emulator would be silly I think..... [​IMG]

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Wrong. GB and GBC carts run at a higher voltage than GBA carts. There is a small switch in the cartridge slot that sets the GBA to GBC mode, and the M3 will not activate this switch (it would probably get fried if it did).

You will need an emulator, a GBA flashcart with a GB bridge (a seperate piece of hardware that plugs in between the GBA and the flashcart, only old style GBA flashcarts had them), or a GB/GBC flashcart.

3. aphexpusher
    OP

United States
    well what would you recommend I do? what is the best solution in your opinion? actually if anyone can give their opinion on my situation that would be awesome. thank you for all the info. I just want to play some old school gb and gbc roms on my sp [​IMG]

4. Destructobot

United States
    Anything but an emulator will require you to buy extra hardware that isn't easy to find these days. Goomba Color has been updated a lot recently, and it's quite good at this point. You can get the most recent build here: http://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php

I've never used an M3 Perfect, but I think the game manager will automatically wrap an emulator (Goomba or Goomba Color) around GB/C games for you. I think you can also change the emulator file it uses to a more recent version, but I'm not sure exactly what file you'd need to replace. You can also just compile some GB/C roms and the emulator into a .gba file yourself with the tools that come with Goomba Color.

5. aphexpusher
    OP

United States
    what were the names of some of the older hardware? just curious. knowledge is power! [​IMG]

edit: one more question: how well does goomba play on the gba? is it fullspeed full gfx and good rom compatability? any lag or whatnot?

6. Destructobot

United States
    I'm not sure about the names of the GB/C flashcarts. The Flash2Advance (a very old GBA flashcart) my friend had came with a GB bridge - it was big and ugly, not an ideal solution. I don't know of which others off the top of my head, but I'm sure that wasn't the only one.

Keep in mind that you can't use a GB bridge with the M3.

7. aphexpusher
    OP

United States
    alright so goomba is the way to go.. you think you can answer my other question as well? just addecd it so you probably missed it.

8. Destructobot

United States
    The current version of Goomba Color works quite well, but it's not perfect. Some GBC games don't run at full speed, and some games have glitches. Some games don't work at all. A lot of games do run perfectly or near perfectly, so it's definitely worth your time to look into it.

9. aphexpusher
    OP

United States
    appreciate it destructobot. you are awesome. [​IMG]

10. Jack-Of-Trades

Member Jack-Of-Trades GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Not sure if this is a problem with m3 (if it softresets into a game or hard reset's

But if it does Hard reset into games look for gbata and use it to "fix Header" so you dont have to use a soft reset kernel

That way you can still use homebrew games/apps

11. aphexpusher
    OP

United States
    i dont understand... sry [​IMG]

12. Destructobot

United States
    If the rom header is borken, the .gba file won't load. I don't think it will be a problem with the M3, its sister product the G6 Lite fixes GBA rom headers automatically.

If you try to start a .gba file and it hangs on the Game Boy screen with the word "Nintendo" garbled, you need to fix the header with GBATA. This rarely happens with unhacked commercial games.

13. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Hehe, I keep reading the thread and thinking "I know the answer to that" and then scrolling down to find Destructobot's already answered it exactly the same way I would have done.

Goomba Color is indeed your best option at the moment, and it works well. You could probably update the emulator core in the Game Manager's folder in Program Files, but it would be just as easy to make your own compilation with the Goomba Frontend tool. Instructions can be found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Goomba

If a game runs slow, try messing with the Speedhacks menu (press L+R to get to the Goomba Color menu in the first place). In particular, try changing the Double Speed feature to "timers" rather than "full" for a hefty speed boost. The LCD speedhack helps out a bit, but not quite as much.