Hacking M3 Lite Language Changer

lenselijer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I recently bought both the M3 Lite Chinese & English versions.

Compared both pcb boards but they look exactly the same, so why cant i use english firmware on the chinese m3 lite.
The chinese version is cheaper then the english one, so it would be nice
smile.gif

Here is a picture:
m3lite.jpg

Nothing special, unless you look close, you see 4 gold pads in the top right.
They say: TDO, TCK, TDI, TMS
This is a typical JTAG Port. I use it to program cable modems and settop boxes.
Looked it up on google:
Test Clock (TCK), Test Mode Select (TMS), Test Data In (TDI), and Test Data Out (TDO).

You can program the Altera Max II chip using this port.
My idea is to try to read the contents of my chinese m3 lite, because i dont care if that one breaks
smile.gif

When it's successful I will read out my english m3 lite and use the firmware to flash the chinese one.
I think this would work, but I need to know if i'm on the right track. Is the firmware really stored inside this Altera Max II chip? or is it somewhere else?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well the firmware is hardly going to be stored in one of the resistors is it? I'm pretty certain you have the right idea, hehe.
smile.gif

It will be interesting to see your results, but I doubt it will really benefit anyone else in the long run as they'd have to build or purchase their own JTAG cable.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cool idea! I'd always wondered what the difference must be between the different language versions.

Is the JTAG cable you use the same or similar to this one?
Do you need a driver for the cable to work or just some specific software?

I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They may have not enabled/added in system programming, and even if it does have an interface, most likely the language settings are stored in the user locked area (requireing a key to read/write).

More likely the JTAG is used for quality assurance tests / debug info when its actually running.

Any rate, good luck - MaxII/CPLD's are generally quite secure from being read out (and in the case of M3, they double crypt most everything to try and ensure the competition doesnt clone their products).

edit:/btw, with older M3 SD, it was possible to change the firmware version to English, but after e19 or so it stopped booting into the menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: