Hardware M3 Lite isn't working

drittz78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, not sure I'll get a reply as the flash cart is so old. I am having issue getting the M3 Lite Slot 2 cart working. On occasion it will see it and boot but most of the time it won't recognise it's inserted into my DS Lite. I have cleaned both the cart and DS contacts. Could it be the battery is dead or would it still work with a dead battery?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dead battery usually just means saves stored on the SRAM and onboard clock get lost. Unless it has got a bit leaky and broke something a battery tends to do not a lot once it has gone.

If you cleaned the GBA slot then you would probably have seen if anything has gone awry in there, though GBA slots are usually far better than DS slots for not having bent pins. If you have an original GBA game then do also try that to make sure that works.

Sounds more like an intermittent contact issue. Either the GBA slot is iffy on your DS (happens often enough -- will work in other things) or the case-pcb-pins combo combined with the tolerances of the GBA make it a dubious prospect.
Most at this point usually try what is known as the paper trick. Fold a strip of paper a few times and put it between the M3 case and the m3 pcb to force better contact and it will hopefully start to be seen again.
Also while you cleaned the contacts I don't know how well it took, so some would insert and remove it a bunch of times while they were at it as a mechanical cleaning of sorts (do it after paper, assuming it does not cure it outright, for better results).

Reactions: drittz78

drittz78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dead battery usually just means saves stored on the SRAM and onboard clock get lost. Unless it has got a bit leaky and broke something a battery tends to do not a lot once it has gone.

If you cleaned the GBA slot then you would probably have seen if anything has gone awry in there, though GBA slots are usually far better than DS slots for not having bent pins. If you have an original GBA game then do also try that to make sure that works.

Sounds more like an intermittent contact issue. Either the GBA slot is iffy on your DS (happens often enough -- will work in other things) or the case-pcb-pins combo combined with the tolerances of the GBA make it a dubious prospect.
Most at this point usually try what is known as the paper trick. Fold a strip of paper a few times and put it between the M3 case and the m3 pcb to force better contact and it will hopefully start to be seen again.
Also while you cleaned the contacts I don't know how well it took, so some would insert and remove it a bunch of times while they were at it as a mechanical cleaning of sorts (do it after paper, assuming it does not cure it outright, for better results).

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I'm going to try the paper trick and stupidly didn't think to try a GBA cart as well. Glad to know it isn't the battery.

drittz78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The paper trick worked for it being detected so thanks @FAST6191. Just one more question on this if you have experience of this cart. Do I need any software on the SD card for it to work. I have formatted the 2gb card fat32 and used the M3 software to transfer games to the cart but when I put the cart in it detects it and shows the GBA screen but then goes blank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Needs the Mario pipe sound lol