M3 Lite Compatibility

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by FuLei, Dec 14, 2006.

Dec 14, 2006

M3 Lite Compatibility by FuLei at 11:22 PM (817 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. FuLei
    OP

Member FuLei GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey, I've been looking at the M3 Lite and have a few questions. Firstly, I have a 1 GB Micro SD already for my phone, and would be completely willing to give it up for DS games, and it's a SanDisk, non-Ultra. Will this work fine, or would it run slowly? And also about the card, I usually sync it with my phone, and i have some adapter, but like there's no place on my PC for it (it's like 4 years old) Also, I'm new to this, and am not sure what trimming and reseting and all of that is. Is it fairly straightforward, do most games work, and if it doesn't work, then can you simply follow the online instructions for trimming, or is it that you have to trim (whatever trimming is) almost all of your games? Do you think it's worth going for DS-X or the G6 Lite over this because of these issues?

Thanks,

FuLei [​IMG]

2. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It should run all (afaik) games at full speed as long as you format it using FAT16 with a relatively small cluster size.

Trimming is about removing unneeded newlines and stuff in roms in order to reduce their size. The M3 software does this for you, you don't need to bother with doing anything manually. I have yet to encounter a rom that does not work when trimmed (i.e. as you're just removing non-important empty space, why should any rom fail as a result of being trimmed?).

Software resetting will let you use a certain key combination to jump back to the M3 menu (from where you can launch another game or whatever) without physically resetting your DS (this gets annoying after a while, so it's a nice touch). The patch to allow this is automatically applied by the M3 software if you request it. It does however not work with all roms (check a compatibility list, I've linked a site below on which a pretty comprehensive one can be found).

In case you're wondering about something else regarding the M3, the wiki's a good place to look. http://www.m3wiki.com.

3. FuLei
    OP

United States
    Thanks! And also, and what do i need to buy in order to connect the sd card to the computer, as the gadget that I have is called a microSD/TransFlash Adapter, but I have nowhere to put it on my computer. And also, what site do you recommend buying it from, and everyone seems to be buying Passcard 3, is that the best choice?

4. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Any passme-type device (superkey/passcard) should work fine. Just see to it that you get a nopass-type device (a regular DS card basically) and not one of those that stick out of your DS (passme2). The Passcard 3's usually bundled with the M3, but it really doesn't matter which one you get (some are supposedly incompatible though).

As for writing to your microSD card, you need a card reader with the ability to read SD-cards (your transflash/microSD to SD-adapter will allow your microSD-card to go into the slot for regular SD-cards), you should be able to pick one up at any local electronics shop for around $10-$20. There's some place selling them for as low as $3 if you're looking to get one as cheap as possible, I'll get back to you with a link to it as soon as I've found it.

Edit: and here it is; http://ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA2018.htm.

5. Velocity

Newcomer Velocity Member

United Kingdom
  6. FuLei
    OP

United States
    Cool. Thanks cenotaph!