M3 GBA Expansion not working anymore on GBA Exploader.

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Soul_Alchemist, May 13, 2014.

1. Soul_Alchemist
    OP

Soul_Alchemist Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2008
    It used to work before, but it suddenly "died". It still gets recognized as "M3/G6" on GBA Exploader + SuperCard, and as "DS Option Pack" on the DS Menu. I tried letting my DS battery die running games and recharging it with the M3 GBA plugged in, but it didn't work.

[​IMG]

Is there anything I can do?

Also, can anyone tell me can kind of battery's on the M3 GBA Expansion to see if I can replace it, would it even work?

[​IMG]

2. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
    CR-1220 or smaller

Soul_Alchemist likes this.
  3. Soul_Alchemist
    OP

Soul_Alchemist Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2008
    Thanks a lot how_do_i_do_that!

I taped a new battery (around $3.4US at my local overpriced clock store) and everything works like it should again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. albertar

albertar GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2015
    United States

Hey is your m3 gba expansion saving properly to the sram? I find that my m3 gba expansion plays but nothings gets saved to the current sram when I turn it off

5. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    If your not getting anything when you turn it back on then the taping to the battery is likely coming apart.

---

I buy these in bulk when I got to replace several at a time: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CR-1220/FCN/P279-ND/1874890

It is also listed in the Maintenance section: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-tell-which-version-of-the-3in1-you-have.130659/

6. albertar

albertar GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2015
    United States
    Yeah I realized that it wasn't taped onto strong enough. It works now though. Thanks!

7. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

Mar 16, 2004
    United States
    CA
    I had a problem like this once and tried taping a new battery to it but eventually it just stopped working all together and the pin snapped on me after that.
    It didn't save sram as soon as I had it oddly enough.
    I guess I should try at it again oh try to buy a new one? hmm.

8. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    If you got no soldering skills to fix the broken tabs, then buying replacements is more or less your option other than doing noting.

9. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

Mar 16, 2004
    United States
    CA
    Soldering isn't too much an issue but I suspected other problems and gave up on it. Got the whole kit for 15 bucks but doubt I could find that again. Probably was a bad one from the get go.
    Any suggestions on what cart I should look for? I'd love one to work on the original model too and I bet I'll be paying a pretty price anyway so might as well weigh my options.
    If I find my 3in1 lite adapter I guess I'll try soldering it back together anyway just see if I get lucky. Hopefully I left the pieces together. Ya pretty sure it was more than the battery that was wrong with it, was a long time ago.

10. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    Within the first 5 years the problem will always be the battery, since it is the first to go. Unless your really unlucky and the surface mount chips fall off the board due to poor solder contacts or poor solder reflow process.

11. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

Mar 16, 2004
    United States
    CA
    Thanks for the info.
    Hope I can find the darn thing sometime soon, now I wanna try fixing it again.

12. Gyron

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    It's an ML-1220 Rechargeable Lithium, but like 'how_do_i_do_that' says, you can use a regular non-rechargeable CR-1220. Plus, they are much cheaper (£1 here for Panasonic brand). Note: If you're using the GEP to play the Pokemon games or Kuru Kuru Kururin, then change the battery like for like, ie. use an ML-1220(rechargeable) rather than a CR-1220. The reason is, if you don't remember to save your game each time you play Pokemon, then your save will get screwed up. This effect doesn't happen when an ML-1220 is installed. Kuru Kuru Kururin doesn't save correctly on the GEP if a CR-1220 is installed. The CR-1220 does work fine in the GEP for the vast majority of games though. I would use a soldered tabbed one rather than taping though to ensure permanent good connection.

gbaexbatt.jpg

Last edited by Gyron, Sep 15, 2015