The Joystick Lunatic
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[EDIT: Bleh, board didn't limit the Title length, and it can't be edited :/]
[Originally: "M3 DS Real kernel v4.0 X's file browser now has a 128 folder+file-count limit"]

I'm posting this for anyone else that it affects, so they know what's going on.

...in short, the problem is basically what the title says.

As of kernel v4.0, if you try to browse a dir (including root
cry.gif
) that has more than 128 entries (directories plus files), you'll see some odd behavior in the file browser (no icons, wrong folder/filetypes, glitched sizes, etc), and you usually won't be able to enter dirs or run files that are shown with the wrong icon (or none at all).

I don't know of a fix yet, if there is one...and this probably won't affect many people, but those into homebrew and/or with larger cards should be aware of the new limit. :/

shansoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they really need to fix the Firmware GUI...

Its seriously ugly plus not user friendly at all, and feel kinda laggy, which is even worse than SCDS One...

They either need to rework or rewrite the entire GUI. But if Sakura ever have a chance to be release with homebrew support...

I might have to say M3 Firmware will be off the line ...

JLsoft

The Joystick Lunatic
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's always the little problems/weirdness that bug me...for example, I -would- have the M3 run some alternate menu on startup so I could browse around quicker, but just my luck, the DirectRun= entry in SYSTEM\BOOT.INI only works with ROMs, not homebrew :/

I even got a cheapo alternate card just because the kernel menu was better, but then discovered the card ran everything I wanted -except- something which I use constantly :/

carterman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL. The M3 Real default firmware needs a lot of work, especially compared to M3 Sakura, and hell, the iTouch firmware. Other things that annoy me about the M3 Real firmware:

1) The fact that the default option for file organization is to go by the FAT tables instead of automatically organizing by name. And then when you do by-name organization, it goes to reverse order first.
2) What does the slot-2 option do when you load homebrew? It won't let me load GBA homebrew from the Folder option at all, what's the point?
3) Touch screen controls are wonky (Also, some love for the lefties would be nice!)
4) Why is everything so damn slow, anyways?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
carterman said:
LOL. The M3 Real default firmware needs a lot of work, especially compared to M3 Sakura, and hell, the iTouch firmware. Other things that annoy me about the M3 Real firmware:

1) The fact that the default option for file organization is to go by the FAT tables instead of automatically organizing by name. And then when you do by-name organization, it goes to reverse order first.
2) What does the slot-2 option do when you load homebrew? It won't let me load GBA homebrew from the Folder option at all, what's the point?
3) Touch screen controls are wonky (Also, some love for the lefties would be nice!)
4) Why is everything so damn slow, anyways?
1) use DriveSort, problem fixed
2) im pretty sure homebrew must be booted from mycard, NDS homebrew booted from the gba pak, from what ive tested anyway,
im not sure if any exp pak can boot gba homebrew
3) faster to use L&R
4) use sakura, unless they fix that some how, heard reformatting the card helps a lot

carterman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point is that I shouldn't have to use DriveSort when every other card worth its salt can organize by name automatically - and we know it can organize by name BECAUSE YOU CAN ORGANIZE BY NAME. The M3 Real interface shouldn't suck when M3 Sakura's works great. While workarounds exist, the fact is we shouldn't have to use them. (BTW, my 4th point was referring to the sluggishness of the interface, not anything microSD related)

shansoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL

M3 Perfect Lite even have better GUI than M3 Real....

isnt that funny?

and I rather have iTouch GUI rather than M3 Real...

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
roadbusta said:
Does this mean we can only store 125 files or less on the MicroSD card before the browser gets glitchy? Or is it only 125 files or less in each folder?
Actually it's 128 files per level (or folder if you like).....If you have 300 files, you have to put 150 in one folder and 150 in the other, and you won't have any problems..but if you keep 300 files on the root of the card or in the same folder, you'll get glitches..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM