Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm planning on getting an M3, and I'd like to know, are there any differences between the M3 CF and SD version, apart from the size and media type. I'm talking homebrew support and such; I hope game support is the same
happy.gif

The thing is, I have two 1GB and one 512MB CF card, and one 256MB SD card. So the CF version would be a much better choice, cost-wise.

But I would mostly use the M3 for GBA games, so I wouldn't need much memory (I have a GBAMP for homebrew, and buy the DS games), and the M3 SD is smaller and doesn't stick out as much.

Advise.
Thanks in advance
grog.gif

PS The choice is only betwen the SD and CF, no G6, no MiniSD, no MicroSD, no Lite anything, please.

FSSimon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My m3/cf has been serving me very well. I have yet to stumble upon something that doesn't boot. Homebrew support is excellent. Rein, moonshell, DSorganize all work fine. GBA support is also first rate.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seconding the CF version. I bought it last year and so far most games worked without a problem. And if it doesn't work, I just update the Game Manager and it's okay again. Unfortunately, the big downside is the fact that it sticks out from the slot.

dbrood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've also got the M3 CF version as i had numerous CF cards just lying about (plus a 1gb CF card is only about £8-£12 from www.ebuyer.com)

Never had any problems, sure it does stick out, but to me thats an advantage cos ive got big bannana hands the adapter acts as a "handle" on stylus intensive games lol

kobewan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Game support is, as far as I know, the exact same. Homebrew support on the CF is much better, I think that it is the same as GBAMP but I'm not certain about that. Also, I believe that with the newest firmware (V27) SD is a little faster, but that can be countered just by having a fast enough CF card.

While CF does stick out a little bit, I can't imagine that would be much of a problem. I have a miniSD on a DS Lite, and when playing it my hands never touch the card itself. The only disadvantage is that it loses its "pocket size", but thats not really a big drawback.

Summary : If you want homebrew, get a CF. If you want to save money on media, get a CF. For you, pretty much the only reason I can see for getting an SD is if you mind the size too much, but its a small reason since the SD cart also sticks out.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go for the CF version. As lakersfan said, it has the best homebrew support of all M3 cards. Only downside for some is the bigger size. But when you're playing games that doesn't affect anything. The smaller SD and Lite cards really are for those who wan't their DS to look "nice". But when you're playing games does it really matter how your DS looks? And all you have to do is unplug your M3 CF from your DS when carrying it around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In like 2 hours I'll have 1Gbps Internet lol