Hardware M3 CF Adapter Saving

blueblue

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here I am, lalala, playing mother 3, getting pretty close to the end. Whoops, suddenly there goes my save forever.

So, thanks to the earthbound community I have downloaded a close-enough replacement save. It is a .sav file for the virtual boy advance. However, I have no idea how to make this work with my ancient adapter.
When I play an nds game, I use a .dat save that goes in the ndssave folder and it writes to that save whenever I turn it on. The gba however....I don't know. There is no kind of save file that it writes to anywhere. However, I started and saved a new game which it is keeping in limbo somewhere.

So, what I would like to know is, how can I get a vba .sav file onto my m3 and get my game to recognize it? Any kind of help would be tremendously appreciated. TREMENDOUSLY

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Check your CF contents, there must be a folder containing your GBA saves. Remember that save files get updated on next M3CF restart after in-game saving.

Assuming the VBA save is working, to use it on the M3CF:

- Launch GameManager
- Browse to the CF folder were you store the Mother 3 ROM
- Right click on the ROM and select "Save Manager" (or something like that).
- On the new window there will be a list displaying all available save files on your CF for Mother 3. Select (click) the one labeled as "Default".
- Click on the "Write Save" button, on the leftmost part of the window.
- Browse for your VBA save and click "Open"
- Wait for the "OK" message, then close GameManager.

Your save should work. If you didn't restart M3CF since your last in-game save, the VBA save will get overwritten and you'll need to start again. So restart your M3CF in GBA mode before trying the above to be sure.

blueblue

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. When I look in the save manager, there are no save files listed. I can press "create blank", but this gives me a "Create saver fail!" message. I can "create saver", which prompts for a filename, but doesn't seem to do anything. The other read/write buttons have no effect.

Previously, in my m3 settings, autosave was turned off - and so I turned it on. It now writes a .dat file, but it still does not seem to ever read from it - I can swap out different created saves and it just ignores them...

Actually, it appears it only ever wrote a file once. It has stopped doing so.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, to be sure try the following:

- Restart your M3CF in GBA mode one last time to flush stored save data from memory.
- Delete the Mother 3 ROM from your CF. Be sure you also delete all associated save files (I suggest using Windows Explorer for this)
- From a freshly patched Mother 3 ROM on your PC create 2 additional copies with different names.
- Use GameManager to copy the 3 GBA ROMs to your CF. Use a different save setting for each of them (standard, hardware support 1, and 2). Do not apply any other patch like soft reset or cheats.
- For each of them, a default save MUST exist after transfering completes.
- Follows the steps in the previous post to add the VBA save to each GBA ROM.
- Try loading and saving in each of them to find which one is working properly for you.

blueblue

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Hero!

I think the problem was that I didn't check for a default save directly after loading the game, and that some of my antics erased it somehow...but! Now I am up and running, all thanks to you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: