Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

M3 Adapter (SD) Vs. SuperCard (SD) Comparison

New official GBAtemp review

Me and Costello have just wrapped up a new Official GBAtemp Review, but this time, in the form of a cross-comparison.
We've put the M3 Adapter and the SuperCard (SD version) up against each other, and have weighed up the pros and the cons between them.

So which one would better suit you? Go and read our comparison review and find out for yourself!
  • icon11.gif
    M3 Adapter (SD) Vs. SuperCard (SD) Comparison
Feel free to leave questions about the comparison and the two products in the review thread. But please leave comments on the comparison in this thread.

Review Kits provided by
Shop.01media.com

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm guessing Rom compatibility part only dealt with the DS?
I think you'll find GBA ROM compatibility is probably 99.99% with both. And saving should be flawless.

I didn't have any issues with GBA at all in the little GBA side testing I did do.

Rather Dashing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the ratings for the price point are a little off. Supercard should have had a much higher rating than M3, not just a slighty higher rating.

Both are really good first generation DS carts and both worth your money in my eyes, its just how much do you want to pay?

TheRocK

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And just of today i ordered a Supercard SD, i should have checked this review first, but anyway the supercard ain't that bad either.
Very nice review indeed, finally we can really say whats good and bad on those flash cards, the best flash card if not best review at all i've ever read on this page! Plus the pictures really help to see what they look like when they are applied to the DS. Thanks for that!

Laintsurge

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Very nice comparison indeed !
But I'd like to point out two things ...

- The battery life. The M3 is MUCH better. If you install flashme or remove the passkey when you get to the M3 menu.

- GBA Roms on M3 is pretty much perfect if you don't use the real time save patch. As for Supercard I heard there are loads of slowdowns in GBA games.

Euronymous

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This is a pretty damn biased review. I have had both cards and for what you pay the SC is much better.

Especially considering this generation is going to be the "F2A" equivalent of the NDS scene, soon to be surpassed by more advanced more streamlined devices, the SC is your best buy to hold you over until the really awesome devices come out.

I have to wonder who is getting paid behind the scenes to support the M3 over the SC.

Edit: I just want to add something to this. In the "save" section Costello says he couldn't work out the SC save method. Ok so that's his problem isn't it? You save in the game and it makes a .sav file. That's all there is to it. Then he says the SC produces "pure" save files which is a good thing. Great. But then the M3 which has a much much worse saving system, much more confusing and also messes with your .sav files so you can't use them with trainers and other flash devices, but yet somehow the M3 still gets a .5 higher score. Why?!

Also, you know when you see game reviews and at the end the total score says next to it "Not an average"? You know why this is? Because not all aspects of a game hold the same weight. So instead they give an overall score based on the most important elements of the game. Instead you guys have just added up all the numbers. Why is being able to customize the GUI skin of the same importance as the save function? It's not! Nobody really buys a linker based on whether you can skin the GUI, so why include that in the overall score? Same goes for the packaging. Who cares? I unpacked my SC and threw the box away. Sure it's good info to include in the info, but it holds no bearing on which flash cart is better. They could have shipped it to me in a dirty sock for all I care.

I think your review content is very good, you've covered everything very thoroughly, but I think your judgement is quite obviously biased toward the M3, and your scoring system is flawed at best.

Puck The Joker

Puck, The Arrogant Phuck
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is a pretty damn biased review. I have had both cards and for what you pay the SC is much better.

Especially considering this generation is going to be the "F2A" equivalent of the NDS scene, soon to be surpassed by more advanced more streamlined devices, the SC is your best buy to hold you over until the really awesome devices come out.

I have to wonder who is getting paid behind the scenes to support the M3 over the SC.

I am actually, and please don't post the same message in both topics, its not necessary.

Euronymous

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

I am actually, and please don't post the same message in both topics, its not necessary.

It doesn't appear in the other topic FYI.

Sticky: M3 Adapter (SD) Vs. SuperCard (SD) Comparison
Official GBAtemp Review Replies 0 Views 478 Today, 05:14 PM
Last post by: shaunj66

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
M3 does not have a messed up save system and you can convert .dat saves back to regular .sav data to export to your other flash cart devices (no hexediting even involved anymore [Savemanager built into Game Manager or Savegame Tool by Thulinma])

^ That is still a bit cumbersome but far from the pain that it was before..

Hey at least they gave high points for the rom patching software to the Supercard.. Love how they remember the settings while the M3 Game Manager is the most mentally challenged piece of %*##$ that can't even remember a single thing..

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
in the review the guys kept saying this :

like the M3 the Supercard is

this is not right it should be (like the Supercard the M3 is) cuz the Supercard is the original cart & was the first available & M3 people has copied the idea from it.

i'm not saying the review is bad one but it gave more respect to the M3 than it did to the original SuperCard imho.

thanks for the review guys
bow.gif

Puck The Joker

Puck, The Arrogant Phuck
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It doesn't appear in the other topic FYI.

Sticky: M3 Adapter (SD) Vs. SuperCard (SD) Comparison
Official GBAtemp Review Replies 0Â Views 478 Today, 05:14 PM
Last post by: shaunj66

Yeah, I sent Shaun a PM to find out why he screwed up the topic so bad that normal members can't see the posts, even though they are supposed to post in there.
laugh.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Our reviews aren't biased in any way. Our partner is a reseller/shop, not the M3 maker. They don't make more money with the M3 or with the Supercard.

the SC is your best buy to hold you over until the really awesome devices come out.
You sound like a SC fanboy, do you know that? You should actually read the whole review.

I just want to add something to this. In the "save" section Costello says he couldn't work out the SC save method. Ok so that's his problem isn't it? You save in the game and it makes a .sav file. That's all there is to it.
I'm talking about the multi-save system. See this:
I don't really get how the SC save system works. I've tried with Super Mario 64x4; I can't seem to use more than 1 save per game
It seems the SC can't handle multiple savegames (only 1 save per game?) or if you know how it works, just let me know because I haven't been able to find it out by myself (tried different ways, none worked, and I couldn't find it in any FAQ/help even on supercard.cn).
[edit: and the mere fact that I couldn't find it out by myself proves that the SC save system isn't worth the M3 one.]

Then he says the SC produces "pure" save files which is a good thing. Great. But then the M3 which has a much much worse saving system, much more confusing and also messes with your .sav files so you can't use them with trainers and other flash devices, but yet somehow the M3 still gets a .5 higher score. Why?!
Oh yes you can use them with other devices. It takes you like 15 seconds to make them compatible, using an hex editor. If you don't know what I'm talking about then I should definitely make a converter (M3 saves to NDS .sav files).
And the +.5 is due to the fact that the M3 handles multiple saves per game. Read what I wrote above.

Also, you know when you see game reviews and at the end the total score says next to it "Not an average"? You know why this is? Because not all aspects of a game hold the same weight.
Why do you think the rom compatibility is ranked out of 20, and the customization thing out of 3 ?

So instead they give an overall score based on the most important elements of the game. Instead you guys have just added up all the numbers. Why is being able to customize the GUI skin of the same importance as the save function?
You don't seem to understand our rating system. The save function is ranked out of 8. The customization thing is rated out of 3. FYI I wanted to have the customization thing out of 1 but shaun told me it was nonsense.

Same goes for the packaging. Who cares? I unpacked my SC and threw the box away. Sure it's good info to include in the info, but it holds no bearing on which flash cart is better. They could have shipped it to me in a dirty sock for all I care.
That's your own problem. We're only being objective. We're reviewing the whole thing. The packaging is part of the whole thing. We DO care if there's a CD included. We DO care if there's a manual supplied with. It is highly important for all those who have never used such a tool before.

I think your review content is very good, you've covered everything very thoroughly, but I think your judgement is quite obviously biased toward the M3
This is absolutely false. We tried to find out as many criteria as possible, so as to be as objective as possible. The M3 was better on almost all criteria. And if we had to give our global opinion instead of an objective ranking, I'd still say the M3 is much better than the SC.
Now, I'm really eager to know what makes you prefer the Supercard
smile.gif
. There's only one major thing I can see: the price. But you said you own both M3 and Supercard so the price shouldn't be a problem for you.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

this is not right it should be (like the Supercard the M3 is) cuz the Supercard is the original cart & was the first available & M3 people has copied the idea from it.
FYI the supercard was inspired by the M2 (aka. Movie Player 2), the predecessor to the M3, so that's not true in the slighest.

Anywho it was a good comparison Shaun and Costello. There isn't really much between the carts and 5% is hardly something to be arguing over guys. At the end of the day if you can afford an M3 get one if not get a Supercard, both carts are good.
smile.gif

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

i'm not saying the review is bad one but it gave more respect to the M3 than it did to the original SuperCard imho.

thanks for the review guysÂ
bow.gif

Actually the M3 was first. Well, the M1 and M2, The Movie Player 1 and 2 (as opposed to the Movie Player 3). Did you notice the media software pack that you can download from the supercard website? It converts movies and music (.gbm, .gbs). This software was made by the company behind the G6 and M3 (gbalpha). The Supercard blantantly engineered their supercard from the technology already available with the Movie Player. With the media software for the Supercard, do you know why there aren't any updates for it but there are for the M3 and G6? GBAlpha made it so that the 'crystal engine' that the later versions of the software use aren't compatible with the supercard.

So saying the Supercard is 'original' is a bit debatable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P7mAPWYcgE