Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
reminds me alot of zelda 2

It looks nothing like Z2.

LOL, of course it doesn't look like Zelda 2....he said it reminds him of Z2, most likely the side scrolling element
tongue.gif

sublime311

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wow this is really fun game! once the bugs are gone for final release im sure you could sell this at retail!

No it couldn't
rolleyes.gif

It's 'ok' not amazing though. It was fairly simple and I know it's only homebrew blah blah but it's nothing special. It might be good for NDS homebrew (although not the best i've seen) but when you think about other creators, this is far far over par.

nevertheless it was enjoyable the first time through and I look forward to seeing the rest of the game but there needs to be a purpose for collecting the coins / rupee's and although hearts need to be collectable.

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey this is actually pretty decent. I like it. Now all we need is a true homebrew Zelda game, in the style of LttP or something.

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Kotaku tore it to shreds, but the author of the article (Michael) was being far too harsh.

Those people are idiots. Comparing it to a flashgame... Wow. Except the fact that it takes a tad bit more skill and knowledge to make an NDS homebrew title. I like the game, better than stick figures with falling rocks to dodge. I can't get past the level with the rising spike floor, unfortunately.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kotaku tore it to shreds, but the author of the article (Michael) was being far too harsh.

"While I'll fully admit that developing a homebrew Zelda side-scrolling adventure title is beyond my technical abilities and that virtually any homebrew activities are admirable, that doesn't mean this... this thing should exist. It's painful to look at and even more abrasive to hear. Equip your mute buttons, dear reader.

The most important thing to remember about this homebrew Legend of Zelda title?

'THIS GAME IS NOT A REFLECTION OF THE QUALITY OF ZELDA GAMES.'

And how! For those of you feeling brave and/or masochistic, the demo is available for download at the developers official site. Consider yourself warned. Michael McWhertor"

I agreed 100%, this is on the level of the CDi zelda games released in the early 90's, I wish the author would take out any reference to the Zelda games and come up with his own characters and theme, but then if he did that, no one would really give a shit about his game. Subtract the Zelda, and this game wouldn't have nearly the attention it is getting.

sublime311

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But I thought the boomerang, bow, the bom, double jump and the sword slash were pretty decent representations of link in super smash bros mellee.

I think people were too harsh and the only 'worthy' points made were about the quality of the level designing. They were too linear, short and simple but the game mechanics (movements, actions, smoothess etc.) are good and if he could change the levels to maybe a megaman style (very wide and high instead of enclosed in walls) then it can make a good game.

inthegray

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i'm glad to see more homebrew games being worked on, but count me in the camp that feels this project suffers by attaching it's name to the Zelda property. despite the CDi games, the Zelda name stamped on a game implies a certain amount of quality and expectations. layering the Zelda brand over his game actually hurts it's image, as people will end up expecting far more than the game could ever hope to provide.

WK416

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't -look- bad. The music isn't fun for the ears, but certainly isn't the worst thing I've ever heard. Just wish he didn't use the generic edited Zero (MMZ) sprite that lots of people use in their work (sprite comics, flash, whatever).
Not bad, although the sword slash looks surprisingly weak with that "paint drawn" look of the slash. Played through it, it's pretty good for homebrew.
The slash was recolored. That's probably why it doesn't look right (besides the fact that only a single frame was used for it).

Torte

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Good game I agree. The rising spikes level was quite old-school; took me about 10 gos lol. Fix some hit detection issues with the switches and maybe add some more frames to the standard slash, but otherwise entertaining with nice Zelda sfx. Wow, homebrew for the DS sure has impressed me a lot! Gogo Lupi. Better than Zelda 2 imo too.

plasmatron

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Good game I agree. The rising spikes level was quite old-school; took me about 10 gos lol. Fix some hit detection issues with the switches and maybe add some more frames to the standard slash, but otherwise entertaining with nice Zelda sfx. Wow, homebrew for the DS sure has impressed me a lot! Gogo Lupi. Better than Zelda 2 imo too.

Why is this topic on top again ???

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

"While I'll fully admit that developing a homebrew Zelda side-scrolling adventure title is beyond my technical abilities and that virtually any homebrew activities are admirable, that doesn't mean this... this thing should exist. It's painful to look at and even more abrasive to hear. Equip your mute buttons, dear reader.

The most important thing to remember about this homebrew Legend of Zelda title?

'THIS GAME IS NOT A REFLECTION OF THE QUALITY OF ZELDA GAMES.'

And how! For those of you feeling brave and/or masochistic, the demo is available for download at the developers official site. Consider yourself warned. Michael McWhertor"

I agreed 100%, this is on the level of the CDi zelda games released in the early 90's, I wish the author would take out any reference to the Zelda games and come up with his own characters and theme, but then if he did that, no one would really give a shit about his game. Subtract the Zelda, and this game wouldn't have nearly the attention it is getting.

If you don't care, there's no need to post a long rant about it. *I* don't care about it, that doesn't mean I'll spend the next hour shitting all over the poor guy's work. What you essentially did was just trolling. (admittedly, I took the bait, but seriously... If you can't say anything nice, etc?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: leo @'d me in a thread about his last dream, stating he was passionately making out with a guy...