Lunar Knights - UNDUB

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by bryehn, Feb 8, 2007.

Feb 8, 2007

Lunar Knights - UNDUB by bryehn at 7:31 PM (15,445 Views / 0 Likes) 44 replies

1. bryehn
    OP

Member bryehn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Pretty quick and easy "hack"...

I thought I'd let people know that all you need to do is literally swap the movie/sound (.VX/SDAT) files from the Japanese ROM into the USA one to create an UNDUB. All of the movie and ingame audio will be Japanese

All of the written text will still be in English or Spanish, and I actually saw the other European language files in there too, so this should be doable when (or if) a EUR version is ever released.

Sounds so much better than the cheesy English acting.

ROM increases in size a bit, but is still under 1024 Megabits.

Save file continued to work also.

For those that are unable or too lazy to do this on their own, I took a few minutes and compiled a working (on G6 anyways) ROM and posted it to usenet.

dirname: Lunar_Knights_UNDUB_JPN-USA_NDS-iND

filename: ind-lkju

Enjoy!

PS: Maybe someone could also whip up a batch file to automate the process for anyone who already has both the (J) and (U) versions of the game.

2. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    So essentially, is it just a case of opening the rom in DSlazy and just swapping the data?

3. bryehn
    OP

Canada
    i do it by hand, so I wouldn't know about DSLazy, but yeah...a simple file swap is all it took...

4. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Could you make an IPS patch?

- Sam

5. bryehn
    OP

Canada
    IPS patch would be useless as I understand it. You actually need about 40 MB worth of files to make the swap. But then agian, I have zero knowledge of how to make an IPS patch. So, the answer is no, I cannot make one.

6. deufeufeu

Member deufeufeu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Cote d'Ivoire
    making an ips patch is to prevent the distribution of copyrighted data, if you make an ips patch to add content found in another version of the game it is still illegal and forbidden by gbatemp rules. A right option is to write a simple .bat file that perfom the merge.

7. Zidapi

Member Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    What i'm interested in knowing is can we add the japnese wifi capabilities back into the game?
    THAT would be uber hax!

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Ah memories of when I first started this rom hacking lark for the DS, thanks for this bryehn. I might even be tempted to finish up the megaman ZX reJapanesed one somepoint.

IPS would not work (16 megs is the limit for IPS and it has issues with sections being offset from the original) although xdelta, PPF or BSDiff should would without issue, this being said what deufeufeu said was correct.

@Zidapi I was unaware of wifi being dropped but that would be a bit more involved as it would most likely mean having to mess with the Japanese rom, still well within the scope of most people though.

As for a batch file I dislike having to pull apart two roms with a batch file but it could work, I know you said size increases (my guess due to video) but have you tried padding the files with 00's and dumping them back in with NDSTS or the like as that way tends to keep compatibility higher.

9. naz2x

Newcomer naz2x Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    If the megaman stuff can added that would be cool and i think more things was removed can't remember.

10. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Woah some great idea's here!

I don't have any technical knowlege, but wouldn't it be easier just to swap the text into the japanese version? or is modifying text hard?

11. kev3458

Member kev3458 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Modifying text is pretty hard. Believe me, there's code munched in with text. Like translating a game.

12. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    So compatible only with G6 so far? Any chances of it coming over to Supercard flashcarts? [for untranslation.] [​IMG] Thanks for your efforts, btw! [​IMG]

13. Azngamer15

Azngamer15 Newbie

thanks breyhn, you rock, i got it, good work

14. Demaar

Newcomer Demaar Newbie

Kick arse effort breyhn. I wonder if someone has done this for Megaman Battle Network 5, if not I wouldn't mind attempting it myself... if I can.

15. lazyguy

Member lazyguy GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    dont know how to use usenet [​IMG]

more instructions, or another method obtain these files?

16. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Yes it works with MMBN5! Just replace the sdat files in the US version with those from the JAP version. PM me for details. This hack runs fine on an R4DS. Savestates are also general so they can be renamed to work the new rom!

17. bryehn
    OP

Canada
    should work on any cart that the original works on. I only have a G6, so that's all I could test it on

18. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    theres a strange bug it seems with the undub, it seems that weapons are disappering, i have downloaded one of the save files and i can confirm that when i booted it up, lucian only had a spear i could not switch any weapons and he was at new culivan, strange thing is he could enhance the other weapons just not change them? i have also download another one where most of aarons guns of missing and i know their missing since they are the knight and the witch etc...and you get those from the story.

19. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hopefully it's just the save games that are messed up. I'm starting this game right from the begining with the undub. I played the first 10 minutes or so, and I agree, I like it a lot better than the dubbed version. I thank you for making this and putting it on usenet!

20. darqfyre

Newcomer darqfyre Newbie

Malaysia
    I've tried to make my own undub with DSlazy but after I unpacked everything, swapped files, repacked it, patched it (even tried without patching) and then loaded it, I only get a black screen. [​IMG]

EDIT:
    Using EZ4 btw.