Luminous Arc or Rune Factory !

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by OSW, Aug 27, 2007.

Aug 27, 2007

Luminous Arc or Rune Factory ! by OSW at 12:41 PM (1,437 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. OSW
    OP

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I can only fit one more game on my cart right now (i need another one [​IMG])

Luminous Arc or Rune Factory - A Fantasy Harvest Moon

I haven't played alot of RPGs before, and i've never played a harvest moon before (i don't even know if this one is similar ot old ones)

What do ya'll reccomend i play first?

2. When Im Gone

Banned When Im Gone Banned

United States
    Rune Factory is way better. Luminous Arc is extremely boring.

3. OSW
    OP

Australia
    thanks for the input, now i need some other's voices to reinforce/rebuke that opinion.

can someone give a quick summary of what gameplay each involves?

4. When Im Gone

Banned When Im Gone Banned

United States
    Well with Rune Factory you go around and farm and capture monsters and eventually marry. Its pretty fun you grow crops go talk to people and get weapons/items, build a bigger house.

Luminous Arc is a turn based game kind of like Fire Emblem but is no way near as good it get tedious fast.

5. Crescent

Member Crescent GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I havent tried Luminous Arc but Rune Factory is pretty good. In Rune Factory it starts off kind of slow if you never played any Harvest Moon games so you might want to read on how to farm, battle, etc. You can make friends with the villagers, marry the girls in the village, attend festivals and more. What's new in this Harvest Moon is that you can fight monsters with swords and weapons. You go into caves and plant vegetables to give yourself more energy and fight monsters until you get to the boss. Going into caves will continue the storyline of the game. That is all I can think of as of now.

6. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I didn't try Luminous arc yet (I think the screen is too small for a Tactical RPG. that was the case with Hoshigami in my opinion)

I'm playing and enjoying Rune factory.
    It's the first Harvest moon I'm playing a lot, it's good the get an RPG and Exp system with it.
    The game looks nice. You will make exp in cave a lot I think, but it's ok. It will let you see each season, and maybe 2 or 3 game's years before end game.

I'm waiting for Rune Factory 2. it might be even better.

For the gameplay :

The stylus is almost not needed in this game. only sometime in the menu.

You will have to work in your field at the start of the game (clean up, and start growing seeds and fruits to sell them).
    Speak to everyone often to get every tools to help you in your adventure, and befriend with them to let the game story running.

In each cave the climate remains the same. one cave is always spring, another always summer etc.
    It helps to keep seed growing all the year.

The Purpose of the game is to marry one girl and live with her at least 1 year.
    edit : and of course finish the story by killing all the cave's boss.
    Each girl will have different needs to be able to ask her for wedding.

http://www.fogu.com/hm/rune_factory/
    A very good site with all the help you can need.

7. Torte

Member Torte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    Bloody hell, just play what you feel like playing. It's not like you're deciding which one to BUY!

8. OSW
    OP

Australia
    LOL. the result of having a flashcart.

thanks for all the comments guys!

I'm gonna try out harvest moon, i hope i like it [​IMG]

if i can't play it easily i know where to ask for help [​IMG]

9. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    rune factory SUX , luminous arc is 100x better i (tried both) .

10. Ph1l0z0ph3r

Member Ph1l0z0ph3r GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Indeed i tried out both and Luminous Arc is just more enjoyable in my eyes.

11. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Luminous Arc was quite the letdown for me. I was looking forward to loving the game -- the pre-release look at the presentation was pretty damn nice for a DS game. But then you start reading the dialogue and plot, and it all goes downhill from there. Gameplay-wise, it works -- it's solid -- but it's nothing you haven't seen before in any other tactics-type RPG.

Rune Factory, on the other hand, is probably one of the best games the DS has yet seen and will likely ever see. It's not for everyone, but for those who enjoy this sort of game, I think it's spot-on. Once you begin getting the gist of how to get your rune factories (crops inside caves) up & running so as to take on the boss in each cave, it's a really fun experience. There's also just so much to do in the game. Again, probably not for everyone, but for what it is, it's amazing.

@ Cyan: Using the stylus actually comes in very handy on the fields. You can make your character automatically till, water or harvest by tapping up to nine squares. It sure takes a lot of the tediousness out of that process.

12. Evilkoko

Member Evilkoko GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have played both and I enjoy bothed. If I had to pick one i'd probably go with Rune Factory. My biggest gripe on Luminous Arc is that you don't ever actually control your character besides moving from spot to spot on the map and in battle. I would've preferred a straight up FF:T clone.

13. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Well, i haven't tried Rune Factory, but i've tried Harvest Moon, and i didn't like it, and i guess they're pretty similar. You may like those kinds of games though. I didn't like Luminous Arc (don't like those kinds of battle systems, strategy rpg or whatever you call them, but again, you may like them, i don't know), but i recommend Heroes of Mana, the battle system there is

14. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Rune Factory, I've got married now to Bianca and I quite enjoyed it. Not enjoyed a MH game since the GC one way way back.

LA its was ok, maybe something I'll go back to during the next game drought.

15. evadwolrab

Member evadwolrab GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I really like the story in LA so far! I'm 4.5 hours in and I really like it. The characters are memorable and I don't feel like I'm being treated like a moron. There's nothing particularly cheesy and it moves along at a nice pace with a good mix of story bits and battles.

Really nice game and definitely worthy of filling the gap until FE Wii comes out.

16. OSW
    OP

Australia
    Been playing rune factory.

It's pretty neat, although i feel the character moves too slow 0_0 one speed only.

This made me laugh. The whole marriage/relationship thing in harvest moon amuses me. It's cool though [​IMG]

I am very early in the game but i must ask, what do i use the sickle for? i accidentally cut some seeds i was growing, but somehow i think thats not the proper use.

17. wohoo

Member wohoo GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    My opinion - Rune Factory, no doubt

18. AWESOME_noob

Member AWESOME_noob GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom