luminous arc is horrible

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by pikachucrackpipe, Oct 23, 2007.

Oct 23, 2007
  1. pikachucrackpipe
    OP

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    seriously i thought this game would be awesome but i don't care for 20 min of dialog with a girl who is suppose to clean and wont
    don't bother with it. battle system (from the one fight you get to do in nearly 45 min of play) was lacking

[​IMG]

2. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] I loved it.

3. Slave

Member Slave GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Friggin' good game, a bit too easy all the way but still pretty good SRPG. Cant wait for the sequel :-)

Now I'm looking foward to Front Mission 1st :-)

4. mastertard

Newcomer mastertard Member

United States
    I thought it was alright, alright enough for me to beat it. Although I will admit the battle system lacks depth and a lot of the abilities in the game are useless

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    It was ok, still better than Hoshigami or whatever that was called.

6. Seccom Masada

Member Seccom Masada GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    This is why I can't play RPG's anymore, I just can't be bothered.

7. Gamesphere

Member Gamesphere GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Story and Battle Wise, The game is great. What really turned me of is the awful touch screen calibration. Many times I moved someone to the wrong square even when I precisely tap where I want them to go. It takes like 2 hard taps to navigate through menus. No other game has this problem. I hope the sequel fixes this.

8. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    The story was OK, but it seriously lacked some depth. I mean, FFTA, even if it had a "kiddy" and shallow story, at least it had like 270 side missions, many of them that followed their own "mini-storyline", which added a lot to the core game. I found LA to be too linear and with too much dialogue in-between missions... you could easily spend 20 minutes hearing characters talk, just to end the following battle in 10'...

9. piepants

Member piepants GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    You know there's an option in the menu to change to button controls rather than touchscreen, right? [​IMG]

10. staticfritz

Member staticfritz GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I totally agree, this game blows. Such a complete rip off of tactics advance, without any tactics to speak of. No options to skip text and an ending I can't even remember, it was so short. There is so much whining in the game, the only thing I liked was the character sketches of the witches in all their boobular glory.

11. TripDyke

Member TripDyke GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    It was very much like 'FFTA for beginners'. It lacked the mission depth of FFTA, the story and characters were very generic and 2D (pun really not intended, I swear), and the gameplay controls were fiddly and frustrating. It could have been good, but it wasn't that great. I hope that the second one fixes what they did wrong.

12. evadwolrab

Member evadwolrab GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Wy would you want to skip dialogue in an RPG?

If nothing else, it's rude. [​IMG] Have you ever sat watching a Bond movie and skipped over the "talky bits" just to see the explosions? [​IMG]

13. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    It was so bad I went out and bought a PSP and Jeanne d'Arc just so I could be reminded of what an SRPG is meant to be... Honestly...

14. pikachucrackpipe
    OP

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    you should have gotten a ps2 and disgaea 2 [​IMG]

15. calvin_0

Member calvin_0 GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    well Luminous Arc was o.k, the storyline could be better, and the battle system...well its is suppose to be like that.....its a FF tactics kind of games......

but there is still room for improvement....

16. AntvgX

Newcomer AntvgX Advanced Member

Russia
    The Game was rather good bot mentioning WFC that maost game today lack

17. osirisFIVE

Member osirisFIVE GBAtemp Fan

Singapore
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I for one, loved it and it's periodical voice-overs.
    It was the first time I heard a voice-over on the DS.

18. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    The dialog in it is absolutely woeful though, it took 20 minutes of constantly pressing A to get in to any sort of gameplay, got really, really bored, really, really quickly.

19. Rev Jim

Newcomer Rev Jim Advanced Member

Guyana
    Not to name names, some people here don't know what the @#$! they're talking about [​IMG]

I thought Luminous Arc was a decent grid-based strategy RPG addition to the DS. It has a fair amount of faults, but also does a lot of things right when compared to a rather large amount of predecessors for this style of game.

My only real gripe is that it's much too easy. I've been playing the PS2 title, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together also roughly the same time as Luminous Arc, and for those not familiar it's another strategy RPG that preceded the original Final Fantasy Tactics (prob the best of these type games ever IMO) and has some of the same people who went on to work on FFT if I'm not mistaken (apologies in advance if I am). It's like 9/10 on a hard scale where luminous Arc is like 2/10 on the same scale [​IMG] But yeah, LA is a decent little game, but not a great one.

20. Kawamura

Newcomer Kawamura Member

Philippines
    It's a nice distraction until FFTA2 comes out. It looks really beautiful but I hate the way it handles. Play it and FFTA or FFTA2 and you'll notice that LA feels a bit...clunky. [​IMG]

Still...for SRPG junkies...it'll do.