Gaming Luminous Arc = Fire Emblem?

evadwolrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem (even though I never seem to get anywhere near completing them) games.

I've seen a few vids of LA and it seems quite similar to the turn-based strategic loveliness of FE and Advance Wars - would anyone who has played LA recommend it to fans of these games?

I've just started Heroes of Mana but I despise CnC type games and I don't think I'll be able to overcome my hatred for point n click RTS/resource gatherer games.

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fire emblem is wayyyyyyyyyy better than luminous arc. Luminous arc is mediocre. still worth a play though

Luminous Arc visually is a lot better than Fire Emblem, and LA also trumps FE's text scenes by using quite a bit of voice acting. I suppose battles in FE are more interactive, but the whole perm. death thing in FE is stupid, I don't see how it's fun having to restart your system if you want your troops to stay.

Also Wi-Fi play.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Luminous Arc visually is a lot better than Fire Emblem, and LA also trumps FE's text scenes by using quite a bit of voice acting.

Really, those are unfair comparisions, as there are no DS Fire Emblem games, although I suppose the GC FE could have tried a bit harder towards voice acting than a few short cutscenes, which were pretty decent for the GC.

QUOTE said:
I suppose battles in FE are more interactive, but the whole perm. death thing in FE is stupid, I don't see how it's fun having to restart your system if you want your troops to stay.

While it's still a pain, it also adds to the realism of the game'

Also Wi-Fi play.

You've got me there.

Anyways, LA is a pretty fun game, but you should probably try it before you buy it, as it's more FFT style than FE.

ediblebird

Trophies
XP
Country
fire emblem is wayyyyyyyyyy better than luminous arc. Luminous arc is mediocre. still worth a play though

Luminous Arc visually is a lot better than Fire Emblem, and LA also trumps FE's text scenes by using quite a bit of voice acting. I suppose battles in FE are more interactive, but the whole perm. death thing in FE is stupid, I don't see how it's fun having to restart your system if you want your troops to stay.

Also Wi-Fi play.

The Wifi play and no permanent death are good in Luminous Arc, but with the graphics i would have to disagree. Thats what put me off about luminous arc the the most.

Fire emblems graphics are simple and really good, especially for the size of the sprites, and the graphics go really well together.
fireemblem2-01.jpg

Luminous arcs graphics are not very good, the characters sprites are really sloppy (just look at the three headed monster!), and the backgrounds are too rigid, with too much emphasis on perfectly staight lines.
luminous-arc-4.jpg

for good graphics see final fantasy tactics advance or onimusha tactics:
ffta84nk1.png
fftaex06xz3.png

the pixel artists were clearly at one with the pixel

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
There's sort of two groupings for SRPGs.

There's the 3D/isometric group of FFT, FFTA, the Front Mission series, Disgaea, and Luminous Arc.

Then there's the basic top down grid based grouping of Tactics Ogre, Bahamut Lagoon, the Fire Emblem series, and Advanace Wars

Then there's Phantom Brave, the oddball. It's kind of related to 3D/isometric, just with a completely different movement style.

ilovengage

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm looking forward to be able to play Luminous.

But I don't understand what so many people don't like about the death thing in Fire Emblem - because of that the game is much harder (but not impossible!) and you are more careful about what you're doing. I know it's very annoying if you lose one character but I think that's one of the elements that make Fire Emblem so great
smile.gif

grifter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.