Luma3DS Out of region games give me a black screen

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by tony500, Aug 10, 2017.

1. tony500
    OP

tony500 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Whenever I launch an out of region game, it simply gives me a black screen, and all I can do is go back into the home menu.
    Can someone help me?

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You might need to enable region emulation. I don't know how it works though. Have a look here https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Options-and-usage or wait for someone else to help.

Lacius likes this.
  3. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    What's your actual Luma3DS version? You can see it by holding select when starting your 3DS.
    Asking because Luma3DS changed how to config the region emulation in some versions.

4. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    You of course need the game patching option enabled, and you need folders on your SD card like:

luma/titles/<TitleID>/locale.txt

in locale.txt, you need to write the 3 letter country code of the game, the 2 letter code for language, and that is enough for the latest to work. There was/is/are a third code denoting state (province) but I'm unaware of which version actually requires that, if any.

I just tried Taiko no Tatsujin on my USA N3DS and my locale.txt simply has "JPN JP". No extra number and it works.