Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Universal Updater tends to be the best option just make sure the battery is full first.
Although in this case, if the 3DS really turned off during the update (due to low battery), you could just overwrite the file on the SD via another device, right?

Universal updater doesn't overwrite the Luma file on sysstorage, only Godmode9 does that via a script, if I'm not mistaken :-)

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just make sure the battery is full first.
You mean it eats the battery more than normal? Never noticed, besides you're just gonna access it for ~2 mins (or less) to download what you need and then you're out.
Although in this case, if the 3DS really turned off during the update (due to low battery),
The fw update or when updating Luma3DS? It only takes a few seconds to do the latter, as for the fw update you'd brick your 3ds if that happens.. That's why they tell you to plug it in to charge if the battery level is too low.
you could just overwrite the file on the SD via another device, right?
Yes. Universal-Updater is for those who don't want to remove the sd card and plug it into their computer every time Luma3DS gets a new update, or whenever they want to DL some homebrew app etc. Yes, you could copy/paste the latest boot.firm (Luma3DS) on the root of the sdcard, achieving the same thing.
Universal updater doesn't overwrite the Luma file on sysstorage, only Godmode9 does that via a script, if I'm not mistaken :-)
On the CTRNAND? It doesn't if you didn't have it (a previous version of Luma3DS) installed there. if you do have it installed, it'll update it, otherwise you have to install it manually on the CTRNAND.

Reactions: Pin1988

RookieKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any more reasons to any more updates from Nintendo by this point? Can the latest 3DS-update mess up anything with the firmware I've installed on my console?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any more reasons to any more updates from Nintendo by this point?
Apart from patching exploits? No.
Can the latest 3DS-update mess up anything with the firmware I've installed on my console?
If you're a BootNTR user you might want to wait until it's updated to support the latest fw. otherwise, your 3ds will work just as normal.

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your skeptical on whether the system update will mess with your 3DS or not, do a NAND backup with GodMode9 before updating and restore the backup if something happens. If you have Luma3DS the update shouldn't affect b9s so you can easily restore if something happens. At least that's what I do.

Reactions: Pin1988

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On the CTRNAND? It doesn't if you didn't have it (a previous version of Luma3DS) installed there. if you do have it installed, it'll update it, otherwise you have to install it manually on the CTRNAND.
Uh, that's news to me!! O.o
Yes, with "sysstorage" I meant CTRNAND in lack of the correct term ;-)
I always thought universal updater would just update the SDCard file no matter what, because in Godmode9 you have to explicitly allow write access to NAND because it's "dangerous" :-)

I've always done the Godmode9 step from the installation guide after an Universal Updater Update of Luma to have to current version on the NAND too, seems like that wasn't necessary...
Hope that didn't break anything ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the enlightenment!!
Post automatically merged:

Found this thread, looks like Luma even updates itself on CTRNAND :-D whole new world :-)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/univers...o-i-need-to-manually-copy-to-ctr-nand.621420/

Last edited by Pin1988,
Reactions: CoolMe

AllChampion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to do the gts fix for Pokémon ultra sun. For the folder inside luma called 'titles', inside there was no folder called "00040000001B5000", which was the code for ultra sun. I made one and put the code in there. It still didn't work.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to do the gts fix for Pokémon ultra sun. For the folder inside luma called 'titles', inside there was no folder called "00040000001B5000", which was the code for ultra sun. I made one and put the code in there. It still didn't work.
What gts fix? By the folder structure i assume you're trying to install a patch/mod?

KiTA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I saw some mention of user time nullification a few dozen pages back in here, so forgive me if I'm asking something in the wrong thread but...

I'm currently moving my save for a game with some time based elements (Dragon Quest Monsters 2 Remake) between Citra and my n3DSxl.

I followed the 3DS guide back in the day which included nullifying the user time offset, and I think this is why whenever I migrate my save between Citra and my 3DS the game detects something has been fiddled with with the RTC and resets the time countdown. The file date/times are correct when I copy to/from the FTPd folders.

I've set the time in GodMode to match the current time where I'm at. The offset in Rosalina's menu is 0000, which I'm presuming is why the FTPd date/times are correct. If I set the offset to the same UTC offset my PC is set to (-0600 right now) and set the time in the settings menu, will that make the RTC stuff stop thinking something is off when I bounce between the two systems?

zooz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jordan
i am hacking my 3ds on luma using the 3ds.hacks.guide and im the finalizing setup, so i opened gm9 and went to scripts as it says but there is no finalize, what do i do?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i am hacking my 3ds on luma using the 3ds.hacks.guide and im the finalizing setup, so i opened gm9 and went to scripts as it says but there is no finalize, what do i do?
You probably unzipped the finalizing.zip improperly. Make sure your SD card looks like the picture at https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup .

Also, please don't post the same question in multiple different threads, especially if you're bumping something from five years ago.

zooz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jordan
You probably unzipped the finalizing.zip improperly. Make sure your SD card looks like the picture at 3ds.guide

Also, please don't post the same question in multiple different threads, especially if you're bumping something from five years ago.
The sd card has the same files as the pic but the guide said there might be extra files depending on which way i did but they said that doesnt matter

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The sd card has the same files as the pic but the guide said there might be extra files depending on which way i did but they said that doesnt matter
Do you have a file named "finalizing.gm9" inside gm9\scripts? Because if you don't, you didn't unzip the file correctly.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sooo we got a Luma update... I would like to, but I have NO idea what I am supposed to do regarding this part:
  • Simplify sysmodule CXI loading and IPS/BPS patching: N3DS bit is now cleared when considering which CXI file to load from /luma/sysmodules. The path for IPS/BPS patches for sysmodules, and sysmodules only, has been moved to /luma/sysmodules/<titleId without N3DS bit>.ips (resp. .bps). This is a breaking change
https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/releases

Can anyone clarify? What am I supposed to do? I am running a few mods, so I would hate for them to break. Do I simply move the content of the "title" folder into the "sysmodules" folder?

Edit: never mind, I missed the "sysmodules, and sysmodules only" part; XD seems to work still fine... Even with Wumiibo, I didn't have to change a thing.

Last edited by Hark0n,
Reactions: peteruk

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Last edited by The Catboy,

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I haven't turned on my 3ds in years. i know i am using a dual nand setup on a 256GB sd card. What was the way to make it to the dualnand environment? There was a certain button combination.
I know it uses luma

MaladroitJoypad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just updated to the new luma version, so I assume its save to update on the latest firmware version too? I wonder why nintendo still releases patches for a dead console...

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just updated to the new luma version, so I assume its save to update on the latest firmware version too? I wonder why nintendo still releases patches for a dead console...
Yes, definitely. The latest Luma version supports 11.17.0-50.

Reactions: MaladroitJoypad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1