Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

RobGee789

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.HacksDen.com
XP
Country
hey guys i just found my old 2ds thats running an old version of luma, my son said he did a software update and now the games load but some crash, i tried to launch the luma updater but that fails, how do i find what version im running and how to update it so it works properly.
all help is greatly appreciated

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hey guys i just found my old 2ds thats running an old version of luma, my son said he did a software update and now the games load but some crash, i tried to launch the luma updater but that fails, how do i find what version im running and how to update it so it works properly.
all help is greatly appreciated
Hold (Select) while turning on the 2DS. On the top of the upper screen it should say

Luma3DS v??? configuration

To get everything updated:

For version ≤ v7.0.5 A9LH → B9S
For version = v7.1 Updating B9S
For version ≥ v8.0 Replace boot.firm and boot.3dsx with the latest version and do the finalizing setup.

RobGee789

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.HacksDen.com
XP
Country
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to boot without patches ?

What I mean is, I have one console (1 of 4) which has the latest Luma, I want it to boot without the region free patches (just temporary)

I cannot remember if there's a button to press on boot OR if it's simply not possible at all

I did ask on Discord and got varying answers

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What I mean is, I have one console (1 of 4) which has the latest Luma, I want it to boot without the region free patches (just temporary)

I cannot remember if there's a button to press on boot OR if it's simply not possible at all
You could boot completely without Luma. Disabling specific patch(es) is not intended.

I believe Rei-Six (discontinued) had a more modular concept with the patches – don't ask me about any details; this could be totally wrong.

Maybe modifying the source code and building a custom version of Luma could be an option – though setting up the development environment is some work.
These files could be useful:
Luma3DS-10.0.1/arm9/source/patches.c
Luma3DS-10.0.1/sysmodules/loader/source/loader.c

snow01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hi! I am trying to use the Nintendo eShop but I can't without updating. I am wondering if it is safe to update while on CFW Luma3DS v.10.0.1? System Version is 11.9.0-42E.

Thanks!

2pado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, so let me explain my situation, i lend a friend my 3DS and the dumb fuck updated it even though i told him not to, now i get "3ds failed to apply 1 firm patches" when i try to turn it on. The thing is, i don't remember which firmware the 3DS was on and even though i did find a fix for this idk if i have the right version of said fix (i have Luma3DS v9.1).

Thanks in advance for all the help.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys, so let me explain my situation, i lend a friend my 3DS and the dumb fuck updated it even though i told him not to, now i get "3ds failed to apply 1 firm patches" when i try to turn it on. The thing is, i don't remember which firmware the 3DS was on and even though i did find a fix for this idk if i have the right version of said fix (i have Luma3DS v9.1).

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Are you sure you have Luma v9.1 and not v9.0? The v9.1 normally fixes that error that occurres with older Luma versions with 11.8 and newer. Download the latest (v.10.0.1 at the moment) Luma release and replace your boot.firm on the SD:
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/

Hold (Select) while turning on. In the Luma config it should say
Luma 3DS v10.0.1 configuration at the top of the upper screen and
Booted from SD via B9S at the bottom of the lower screen.

Reactions: Alexander1970

heyyouguys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It has been awhile. I am trying to update my daughters 3dsxl from the Gateway to the 3ds.hacks.guide, and ran to an issue with loading luma3ds.

The 3dsxl was:

System settings 4.2.0-9U
Gateway Omega 2.6

(i do have the original nand backup)

Now after following the "Installing boot9strap (MSET)" instructions. I had an issue at the very end. I can hold SELECT+Power and it launches Luma3ds 10.0.1 configuration (bottom screen says 'Booted from SD via B9S). But when i press START to save, it goes to black screens with blue led. The settings are saved when i open configuration again.

I can hold down LEFT+Power button (or choose autoboot emunand in luma3ds config) and it will bring up the 3ds menu. go to settings and i see:

Emu 9.2.0-20U

I did try this, renamed GodMode9 to boot.firm and it instantly started and loaded up. Came up with essential files backup not found. create one yes or no. (did not choose, and powered down.)

I read the FAQ on luma's wiki for "I get a black screen on boot" which stated "Use SELECT to get into the Luma configuration menu, and turn on the Enable exception handlers option" but that is not a choice.

Not sure what to do to continue on to doing the hacks.guide "finalizing setup" and doing the update, etc...? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by heyyouguys,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
System settings 4.2.0-9U
Gateway Omega 2.6

(i do have the original nand backup)

Now after following the "Installing boot9strap (MSET)" instructions. I had an issue at the very end. I can hold SELECT+Power and it launches Luma3ds 10.0.1 configuration (bottom screen says 'Booted from SD via B9S). But when i press START to save, it goes to black screens with blue led. The settings are saved when i open configuration again.

I can hold down LEFT+Power button (or choose autoboot emunand in luma3ds config) and it will bring up the 3ds menu. go to settings and i see:

Emu 9.2.0-20U
[…]
Replace boot.firm with the v9.1
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v9.1

Black screens is a known bug of Luma3DS v10.0.1 with the 4.x firmware version. You can use v9.1 to update SysNAND to latest version and switch back to the latest Luma release after the update.

heyyouguys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

heyyouguys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That worked!!! now i see Sys 4.2.0-9U in system settings. Thank you and now on to the "finalizing setup" section and update.

Completely updated and backup up, etc...

Now onto converting some .3ds to .cia and then a little fun with JKSM to put the saves back from the old GW that were backed up prior with JKSM.

thanks again!

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

cwinners

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all. I have a Sky3ds from about 4 years ago- but I just found out I cant play Dragon Quest Warriors terry's wonderland because its an edited game.

My 2DS XL is on firmware 11.7.0-40U, is there a safe way I can get custom firmware to play this game?

LeoModesto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys, i don't know what to do right now, just bought a old3ds of a friend that used to work with Luma and A9LH. The problem is that the SD card was corrupted. Tried following this guide and it just doesn't boot the hourglass.

threads/tutorial-a9lh-users-recover-from-formatted-deleted-sd-card.444161/

I think it might be because the system update is 11.4.0.73. The 3ds doesn't start without the sd card and only turns on with the firm of luma 7.1. Is there anything i can do to save it?

PS: Tried updating with the hacking 3ds guide a9lh to b9s but the 3ds doesn't even turn on

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end