1. jupitteer

jupitteer self loathing millia player

Antarctica
    How? Legacy isn't needed anymore. Most of the bugs were fixed in 8.1, and any remaining ones are being fixed.

2. astronautlevel

astronautlevel GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    What's bullshit is dealing with the baggage legacy is. Every time an issue pops up there's at least half a dozen people who say "USE LEGACY!!!" which, even if it does fix the problem (it doesn't since 8.1.1), makes actual debugging far harder and never get fixed. Having to maintain two very different codebases stifles additional progress. Whats bullshit is the amount of misinformation about legacy and Rosalina that's spread on this forum.

3. Kazuma77

Kazuma77 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Keep telling yourself it's gone. Maybe it will make it true someday.

You want to know why I hate copyright? Simple. It stifles innovation instead of encouraging it as it was supposed to. You can't write anything anymore without owing royalties to someone. Sony can't even make a controller that vibrates. Look at what goes on at the patent office. A bunch of trolls with vague concepts waiting for someone to design something that resembles it so they can collect. Enough said.

4. SomebodyElse

SomebodyElse Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

5. jupitteer

Antarctica
    Yep, making sure that your own software that you developed stays open like you intended stifles innovation.

425745, SaffronXL, uyjulian and 3 others like this.
  6. astronautlevel

United States
    I'm not saying they do. Abandoning legacy and killing traces of it are the best way for the project to move forward.
    Are you seriously comparing luma to patent trolls? Really?

425745, SaffronXL, uyjulian and 4 others like this.
  7. SomebodyElse
    This message by SomebodyElse has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 22, 2017, Reason: unnecessary.
    Aug 21, 2017
  8. jupitteer

Antarctica
    Just telling someone that something is illegal isn't a threat of legal action. If I tell someone that something is illegal, that doesn't mean I'm going to take them to court if they don't stop.

9. astronautlevel
    This message by astronautlevel has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 23, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  10. Kazuma77
    This message by Kazuma77 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 23, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  11. jupitteer
    This message by jupitteer has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 23, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  12. Kazuma77
    This message by Kazuma77 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 23, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  13. SomebodyElse
    This message by SomebodyElse has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 22, 2017, Reason: wow.
    Aug 21, 2017
  14. jupitteer
    This message by jupitteer has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 22, 2017, Reason: off topic.
    Aug 21, 2017
  15. astronautlevel

United States
    GPL would still exist without copyrights, as part of GPL is to ensure products are open source as are derivatives. Without GPL developers could make their products closed source even without copyright, and as such the GPL would still probably exist.
    I'm sorry, that's some of the worst economics I've ever seen. I can't even think of a good response to the rest of your post because I'm dying of laughter right now.

16. SomebodyElse
    This message by SomebodyElse has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Aug 21, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  17. astronautlevel

United States
    Reminding someone something is illegal does have value, even if you don't intend to pursue action.

Taking an out-of-context quote does not an argument make.

I've "shown my true colors" even though I have nothing to do with development of Luma outside of being friends with Aurora and running the build server? Okay.
    And yet here I am answering questions.

18. jupitteer
    This message by jupitteer has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Aug 21, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  19. SomebodyElse
    This message by SomebodyElse has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Aug 21, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  20. jupitteer
    This message by jupitteer has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Aug 21, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  21. Redferne
    This message by Redferne has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Aug 21, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  22. Kazuma77
    Aug 21, 2017
  23. jupitteer
    This message by jupitteer has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 23, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  24. RustInPeace
    This message by RustInPeace has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Aug 21, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  25. Redferne

Redferne GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    No they're not. They are monitoring the game. Anything happening outside of the game is not monitored. For most game it's not even in real time.

SaffronXL, uyjulian, TuxSH and 4 others like this.
  26. Kazuma77
    Aug 21, 2017
  27. astronautlevel
    This message by astronautlevel has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 23, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  28. Kazuma77
    Aug 21, 2017
  29. Redferne
    This message by Redferne has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 23, 2017.
    Aug 21, 2017
  30. Kazuma77
    Aug 21, 2017
  31. jupitteer
    Aug 21, 2017
  32. Redferne
    This message by Redferne has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 22, 2017, Reason: off topic.
    Aug 21, 2017
  33. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    They deleted a branch from their repo. What's the big fucking deal? They can clean up their git repo of the trash branches that are no longer needed all they want.

You want legacy? Check literally anyone who forked Luma between July 10 and when it was deleted.

Oh, like me: https://github.com/Cuphat/Luma3DS/tree/legacy

34. jupitteer
    This message by jupitteer has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 22, 2017, Reason: off topic.
    Aug 21, 2017
  35. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

United States
    the official discontinuation of legacy basically means the luma devs don't need to provide support or maintain it anymore. if you want to keep using it and support it, you can do that, just not in this thread.

SaffronXL, uyjulian, TuxSH and 2 others like this.
  36. Quantumcat
    This message by Quantumcat has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 22, 2017, Reason: off topic.
    Aug 21, 2017
  37. Kazuma77
    This message by Kazuma77 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 22, 2017, Reason: off topic.
    Aug 21, 2017
  38. jupitteer

Antarctica
    You received no legal threats. You received explanations, not excuses. You were the one that started the argument.

Jubash, SaffronXL, TuxSH and 2 others like this.
  39. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Psycho!

Mexico
    Those are not arguments, just non-sence reasons.

40. astronautlevel

United States
    I'm sorry, what exactly was a nonsense reason?

Can you give a reason to keep legacy that isn't a nonsense reason? Not a single one of you legacy trolls have been able to do so.

SaffronXL, Lacius, uyjulian and 3 others like this.
  41. Kazuma77
    This message by Kazuma77 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 22, 2017, Reason: off topic.
    Aug 22, 2017
  42. astronautlevel
    Aug 22, 2017
  43. jupitteer

Antarctica
    Just because we pointed out that something was illegal doesn't make it a legal threat.

SaffronXL likes this.
  44. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Psycho!

Mexico
    Why in the world you want to remove a branch? I understand that you don't want to work on it but it does not hurt if it stays on the github repo, in fact, it could be useful for custom loaders (3ds_injector), the same thing goes for other entrypoints builds on the makefile.

Is not that I care about Luma's new way with Rosalina, after all, there is a fork with the legacy branch above and is not like Luma is the only working CFW/chainloader with b9s; we still have Cakes, ReiNand, the last build of Corbenik, BooCtr9 and CtrBootManager9, we don't need Luma's team shitty decitions, but don't be surprised if support on Luma (from users and other devs) decreaces.

Kazuma77 likes this.
  45. jupitteer

Antarctica
    It was removed because it was deprecated. There was no reason to keep it at all. And if you don't like luma's decisions, that's fine. Just don't call people fanboys and insult others because they don't agree with you.

SaffronXL and astronautlevel like this.
  46. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

United States
    *shrugs*

47. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Australia
    There's plenty of people who forked it before it was deleted, you can do all the stuff you mentioned. They were just cleaning up their repo.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Firmware, Luma3DS, Custom