Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Aurora Wright, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pikasack

Pikasack What is a title

Apr 27, 2015
    Canada
  2. astronautlevel

astronautlevel GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Maryland
    I should hope they're not, given that I was the one who made them and am using them :P

3. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    No nightly will ever brick your console. I don't think they even can.

astronautlevel likes this.
  4. Pikasack

Pikasack What is a title

Apr 27, 2015
    Canada
    Alright, thanks!

5. astronautlevel

astronautlevel GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Maryland
    I think you missed the EoF

a9lh-1user likes this.
  6. EpicMedz

EpicMedz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2015
    I'm on Luma 5.5, how do I update to 6.0?

7. Amapola62

Amapola62 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    You have several ways: You go there: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/ and you download the latest one and replace your current arm9loaderha.bin file with the one in the archive or if you have lumaupdater or Starupdater installed on your 3ds you use it to download the latest version. In LumaUpdater you select if i remember well: Install latest normal version.

8. EpicMedz

EpicMedz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2015
    Thank you!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

9. andrexd

andrexd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    i have reinand, can i update to this one right away?

10. nooby89

nooby89 A normal member with a stupid alias

Aug 18, 2015
    Canada
    What is the utility of UNITINFO ?

11. Selver

Selver 13,5,1,14,9,14,7,12,5,19,19

Dec 22, 2015
    Of course, any A9LH payload can brick a system. Here's some possibilities (slightly obfuscated):

Getting malicious payload onto your system:
    1. Nightly build download subverted to retrieve malicious binary (MITM attack, stolen credentials, etc.)
    2. Have a mostly-normal build, with timebomb behavior, and link download for folks to use... most effective if it's actually a unique, useful utility, and/or has virus-like capabilities
    Examples of two simple, but malicious behavior:
    1. Code can do nasty things to NAND, preventing it from ever being usable again == dead 3DS
    2. Code can accidentally trip up certain internal busses, hard-bricking system (no known recovery)
    3. Gateway anti-piracy code bricked systems (accidentally and on purpose) in at least one release
    When you run an unsigned payload, you are trusting the provider of that code.

Can it accidentally brick you system?

Even here, the answer is yes. It's currently unlikely. However, bugs happen, and they can accidentally trip up those same certain internal busses.

Last edited by Selver, Aug 23, 2016 - Reason: second way to get folks to load malicious code...
    matpower, XRaTiX, nooby89 and 2 others like this.
  12. Danni95dg

Danni95dg Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2016
    Not working T_____T I uninstalled with FBI 1.2.2 and then intalled with 2.3. And I still get errors on flashcarts and black screen at DS Internet Settings...

13. kromlech06

kromlech06 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2012
    United States
    The instructions for the Pathchanger, to make Luma work with the CTRboot manager, refers to a Luma3ds.bin. There is no such file in any release, nor my SD card.

I had extra-ram games working before, but after using StarUpdater to update Luma3DS, none of them work anymore. I have no idea how to get them working again and the instructions for pathchanger refer to a file that doesn't exist. I am not going to switch to arm9hax, nor am I getting rid of the boot manager, so thank you for not suggesting those ahead of time. It's frustrating because it was working before and now it isn't. I trusted Starupdater to not screw things up so I have no backup, unfortunately.

So, what is this Luma3ds.bin the instructions on the github are referring to?

Last edited by kromlech06, Aug 23, 2016
  14. nooby89

nooby89 A normal member with a stupid alias

Aug 18, 2015
    Canada
    What is UNITINFO ??? :mellow:
    Just a little description please.

15. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    I need to look into this myself. I have been meaning to switch from AW's A9LH v2 to ShadowNAND, but this requires renaming the file to boot.bin. I have been somewhat lazy and waited for http://luma3ds.ericchu.net/ to start working again, but since it doesn't look like this is going to happen, the pathchanger is going to becomr necessary again.

16. Starry Windy

Starry Windy Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2014
    Indonesia
    Migrating to Alola Region
    I'm wondering if it's just me, but it seems that I was unable to get to Streetpass with my other 3DS if I'm using Luma3DS... I tested with Streetpass Mii Plaza, but it seems there are no interaction even after minutes of waiting. Is it a bug?

17. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Have you Streetpassed with your other system recently? there's a cooldown period of when you can interact with the same system.

18. Starry Windy

Starry Windy Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2014
    Indonesia
    Migrating to Alola Region
    I guess not, since usually I don't play both of my 3DS at the same time lately, and if they did, I doubt there were green signal of Streetpass at all... Which is odd since iirc, it was working before I updated my Emunand to 11.0, before the system update comes live.

Last edited by Starry Windy, Aug 23, 2016
  19. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    Hey I just bought a japanese version 11.0sys 3ds xl. How do I downgrade the console &How do I change its region? I want to use luma but I need to do these things first please help!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

(I have already installed a luma cfw on my other 3ds xl eur version.)

20. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Buy another 3ds jpn that can ne hacked to do the softmod exploit/transfer or hardmod it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.