Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Does he want to lose all his games?

Would that remove game saves as well?, i dont mind losing all my games.....it will be a pain to have to reinstall them again, but i think it will probably be a quicker method than trying to go through FBI and finding it.

Would tinyformat work then....will i lose my a9lh exploit though??

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Would that remove game saves as well?, i dont mind losing all my games.....it will be a pain to have to reinstall them again, but i think it will probably be a quicker method than trying to go through FBI and finding it.

Tinyformat will delete all your games and saves, and it won't remove your a9lh.

However, wouldn't an easier solution be to drag the title to the far right and never think of it again? :P

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Tinyformat will delete all your games and saves, and it won't remove your a9lh.

However, wouldn't an easier solution be to drag the title to the far right and never think of it again? :P

Yes yes it would.....but i will know its there lol

It there an easier way to backup all my saves in 1 go rather than using the save manager in the 3ds settings for each game?

Last edited by lettuce,

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i updated but its still there, ive tried renaming the 'Nintendo 3DS' folder on the SD card so on the next boot the 3ds would create a new one thus removing all titles from the home menu bar the default tiles, but the solid black tile is still present, so its not SD card related. Its been suggested to try and use FBI to identify the rouge tile but theres sooo many titles in the title list in FBI it doesnt make it easy figuring out what it is.

The only major thing that i can think that changed form AuRieNAND v3.7 to v4.2 was the region free feature, so it could be tied to that but im at a loss
I had very similar issues when I updated my AuRei setup once the region-free CIA patch was applied. I fixed the issue by identifying all the titles installed to CTRNAND via DevMenu/BBM. I didn't like using FBI for this because it does show a lot of titles, some of which don't have unique IDs and are hard to identify. Using DevMenu at least shows you the titles that should be on your CTRNAND naturally by highlighting them in red. Try opening DevMenu and looking at all the titles installed onto the CTRNAND. You should be able to identify the black box because it will likely show up as an "APPLICATION" title that has been installed as opposed to a "SYSTEM" title.

Edit: I should also mention that I had a black box title that didn't show up in DevMenu, but that is because it was just a botched install of an eShop game, not a system I accidentally installed to my CTRNAND. I was able to get rid of that sucker by going into the 3DS's system settings and finding a game installed that was listed just with a white "?" icon and nothing else. Uninstalling it from there made the black box disappear.

Last edited by tiduscrying,
Reactions: Doopl

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

When I've made this mistake (installed a lot GBA, SNES and 3D Classics to NAND using FBI) I've uninstalled them using FBI, it was a pain but since I had all the titleID of those CIAs I could uninstall them all properly.
EDIT: I think that you should try @tiduscrying method, so you won't risk uninstalling system files.

EDIT2: @lettuce You can use JK SaveManager CIA to backup all your game saves, even MiiPlaza progress to your SD, and re-inject them using the same application. I think that in CIA/SD option there's now a option to dump all save files at once. Dunno about dumping extData that some games actually use.

Last edited by Tomy Sakazaki,

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
I had very similar issues when I updated my AuRei setup once the region-free CIA patch was applied. I fixed the issue by identifying all the titles installed to CTRNAND via DevMenu/BBM. I didn't like using FBI for this because it does show a lot of titles, some of which don't have unique IDs and are hard to identify. Using DevMenu at least shows you the titles that should be on your CTRNAND naturally by highlighting them in red. Try opening DevMenu and looking at all the titles installed onto the CTRNAND. You should be able to identify the black box because it will likely show up as an "APPLICATION" title that has been installed as opposed to a "SYSTEM" title.

Edit: I should also mention that I had a black box title that didn't show up in DevMenu, but that is because it was just a botched install of an eShop game, not a system I accidentally installed to my CTRNAND. I was able to get rid of that sucker by going into the 3DS's system settings and finding a game installed that was listed just with a white "?" icon and nothing else. Uninstalling it from there made the black box disappear.

Hmm whats the latest version of DevMenu?, as i have loaded it up and in the 'Programs' tab i have....

'BigBlueMenu' listed 4 times at the top
a load of CTR-*-*** variations
towards the bottom RARCH-***** which is retroarch cia's

and then the ONLY red title i have is 'Browser for Eu' all the rest of the titles are in black.

The program tab is the correct tab to be looking at in DevMenu right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hmm i have noticed in DevMenu the only tiles that are listed as media type 'CTR NAND' is...

0009d Browser for Eu
002ff BigBlueMenu (which there are 2 instances of)

all the rest are listed as SDMC media type

are the above 3 legit??

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Hmm whats the latest version of DevMenu?, as i have loaded it up and in the 'Programs' tab i have....

'BigBlueMenu' listed 4 times at the top
a load of CTR-*-*** variations
towards the bottom RARCH-***** which is retroarch cia's

and then the ONLY red title i have is 'Browser for Eu' all the rest of the titles are in black.

The program tab is the correct tab to be looking at in DevMenu right?
I'm not too sure what the latest version is, but I know having BigBlueMenu listed four times sounds very unusual to me. Are these installed to CTRNAND? Their listing would look like this if it was (I'm using just a bogey example here):

Category: Application
Unique ID: 0x0008b
Version: 0.0.2
Occupied Size: 1,267,819 Bytes
Product Code: CTR-N-XXXX
Media: CTR NAND <- there is the big indicator right there!

Edit: Oooh, okay, well, no, that is abnormal. Having BBM installed to CTR NAND twice is most likely the issue. Try deleting the problematic titles using the X button and see if that gets rid of the black box!

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too sure what the latest version is, but I know having BigBlueMenu listed four times sounds very unusual to me. Are these installed to CTRNAND? Their listing would look like this if it was (I'm using just a bogey example here):

He should also try using DevMenu rather than BBM.

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country

Edit: Oooh, okay, well, no, that is abnormal. Having BBM installed to CTR NAND twice is most likely the issue. Try deleting the problematic titles using the X button and see if that gets rid of the black box!

So delete anything listed as media type 'CTR NAND', even the 'Browser For EU'??

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
He should also try using DevMenu rather than BBM.
Definitely agree. BBM is inferior to DevMenu, I believe. It's just an out of date, Gateway branded version of it anyways, right?

So delete anything listed as media type 'CTR NAND', even the 'Browser For EU'??
No no, just delete the BBM installation with the CTR NAND media type. Leave everything else installed to CTR NAND as-is!

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Definitely agree. BBM is inferior to DevMenu, I believe. It's just an out of date, Gateway branded version of it anyways, right?

No no, just delete the BBM installation with the CTR NAND media type. Leave everything else installed to CTR NAND as-is!

Ok Deleted the first BigBlueMenu CTR-NAND title it then removed all of the 2 other instances and left me with just 1 bigbluemenu in the list....but the black title is still on the home menu, damn!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok Deleted the first BigBlueMenu CTR-NAND title it then removed all of the 2 other instances and left me with just 1 bigbluemenu in the list....but the black title is still on the home menu, damn!!

EDIT: Just powered off the 3ds and back and now its gone!!, thank god!

Thanks for your help!!

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Edit: -snip- Saw that it disappeared on reboot! Damn good news! Glad I could help! I am glad you didn't have to do any formatting or anything. I can speak from experience that that is a lot more trouble than it is worth. Identifying the problematic title is daunting and a bit more difficult, but at least you don't lose anything!

Reactions: astronautlevel

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Edit: -snip- Saw that it disappeared on reboot! Damn good news! Glad I could help! I am glad you didn't have to do any formatting or anything. I can speak from experience that that is a lot more trouble than it is worth. Identifying the problematic title is daunting and a bit more difficult, but at least you don't lose anything!

yeah a reboot worked, all gone now, thanks for the advice!!!

Yeah least i know a bit more about how DevMenu displays info now! :)

Last edited by lettuce,
Reactions: tiduscrying

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so I have been testing something with v 5.0 (don't know if it happened with 4.2) and would like to know why it happens or if it is expected to happen.

So I'm using A9LH w/ SysNAND 9.2 & EmuNAND 10.7. In AuRei settings I have only selected "show current nand in system settings".

Normal boot (w/o pressing anything) boots me into Emunand (Emu 10.7), if I hold R when booting (holding it non stop till it boots) it will boot into SysA 9.2 (as it should).
And here comes the issue: If I hold L when booting (holding it non stop) a dot matrix similar to that first screen of Menuhax shows up and a message of "An error has occured. Hold down Power button ..." pops up and Sys 9.2 doesn't boot up.
For it to boot normally I have to hold L at the start for like 3-4 seconds and then release it.

Does it happen to anyone else and if so why is it? I don't have any payloads assigned to L only (don't even think you can).

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I have been testing something with v 5.0 (don't know if it happened with 4.2) and would like to know why it happens or if it is expected to happen.

So I'm using A9LH w/ SysNAND 9.2 & EmuNAND 10.7. In AuRei settings I have only selected "show current nand in system settings".

Normal boot (w/o pressing anything) boots me into Emunand (Emu 10.7), if I hold R when booting (holding it non stop till it boots) it will boot into SysA 9.2 (as it should).
And here comes the issue: If I hold L when booting (holding it non stop) a dot matrix similar to that first screen of Menuhax shows up and a message of "An error has occured. Hold down Power button ..." pops up and Sys 9.2 doesn't boot up.
For it to boot normally I have to hold L at the start for like 3-4 seconds and then release it.

Does it happen to anyone else and if so why is it? I don't have any payloads assigned to L only (don't even think you can).
Did you ever have menuhax installed or anything on your SysNand?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So im not really sure whats going on but after installing arm9loaderhax my bottom screen looks "pixelated" like I can see grain if that makes any sense maybe i'm just sleep deprived or my Nand mod is acting funky any thoughts? And my top screen is nowhere near as bright as it should be.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I had menuhax before A9LH, however I think I removed it. I will start HBL to check if I still have it installed and will uninstall it.

I also tested a new thing and it was holding the D-pad when starting and Dectyp9WIP starts which is strange as my payloads are only default, x and y.

EDIT: So I went into HBL and uninstalled menuhax and it seems it did the trick. Thanks!

Did you ever have menuhax installed or anything on your SysNand?

Last edited by Bullseye,
Reactions: tiduscrying
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge