Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I moved all the information to a dedicated GitHub Wiki. Since a common complaint is the lack of documentation, I'd like you to read all of it and tell me if something is unclear or could be explained better (and how).
I read it, it's good, very professional!! Much simpler to follow than IKEA instructions!
2086ueq.jpg

Last edited by democracy,

Doopl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I moved all the information to a dedicated GitHub Wiki. Since a common complaint is the lack of documentation, I'd like you to read all of it and tell me if something is unclear or could be explained better (and how).
For the Preparing page I would suggest using sub headings to make it clear which info is relevant to A9LH and which is for other *hax. Plus a short intro to explain it. For example:

The files you need depend on how you will launch AuReiNand. arm9loaderhax is the recommended method, but other homebrew exploits (menuhax, oot3dhax etc.) can also be used.

If you want to run NTR CFW an additional file is needed.

arm9loaderhax
[necessary files]
[pathchanger info]

Other *hax
[necessary files]
[expanded explanation on purpose of the boot.3dsx]

Using NTR CFW
[same info as current]

jerrmy12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For A9LH?
Just the arm9loaderhax.bin file and the aurei folder.

For Menuhax?
The aureinand.dat file, the aurei folder, and the boot.3dsx file that's inside the menuhax folder (from the aureinand zip).
Since i have ctrbootmanager and hbl cia, what does the boot.3dsx in the menuhax folder do?

MeteK

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have two questions :

GBA fw and TWB fw are still needed ?

I've got RE Revelations on my Nand and the game is asking me for and update, that i do, and then it said that my console is uptodate... what's wrong ?

Last edited by MeteK,

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have two questions :

GBA fw and TWB fw are still needed ?

I've got RE Revelations on my Nand and the game is asking me for and update, that i do, and then it said that my console is uptodate... what's wrong ?
no. no firmware files are needed. i reads them from your NAND and patches them on the fly.

Doopl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since i have ctrbootmanager and hbl cia, what does the boot.3dsx in the menuhax folder do?
Typically, the file you have as boot.3dsx is what gets loaded when running menuhax, browserhax, hblauncher_loader.cia etc. (unless you've swapped the default *hax payload for, for example, the lesshax one). If you use the boot.3dsx from AuReiNand, then AuReiNand will be loaded directly from the *hax instead of whatever you have as your boot.3dsx currently (which is either ctrbootmanager or the Homebrew Launcher).

D

Deleted User

What safety will it bring? I read the wiki and based on that I checked those two. But I can take the advice too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The only thing it helps is if you boot a 9.0 firm and then use the .3dsx file. I like to keep it on just in case so I can always protect my NAND from bricking (pretty sure this happens if you attempt to update without firm 0 and firm 1 blocked from patching)

D

Deleted User

I don't think it would BRICK your NAND...but it sure would wipe out your a9lh install.
"
  • Booting with arm9loaderhax is auto-detected, and whenever you load SysNAND on A9LHall FIRMs are automatically patched to prevent overwriting A9LH or bricking. This also makes you be able to always safely perform a system update from A9LH.
    "

There have been many bricks updating from the settings in Cakes (which has the option to block Firm writes instead of being forced)

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"
  • Booting with arm9loaderhax is auto-detected, and whenever you load SysNAND on A9LHall FIRMs are automatically patched to prevent overwriting A9LH or bricking. This also makes you be able to always safely perform a system update from A9LH.
    "

There have been many bricks updating from the settings in Cakes (which has the option to block Firm writes instead of being forced)
oh, well nevermind. It's weird how I never noticed that part apparently. I've never used Cakes or anything where it was an option to not protect firm1/firm0. I'm not sure why you'd disable something like that, even if bricking wasn't possible.

Last edited by 9thSage,

jerrmy12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Typically, the file you have as boot.3dsx is what gets loaded when running menuhax, browserhax, hblauncher_loader.cia etc. (unless you've swapped the default *hax payload for, for example, the lesshax one). If you use the boot.3dsx from AuReiNand, then AuReiNand will be loaded directly from the *hax instead of whatever you have as your boot.3dsx currently (which is either ctrbootmanager or the Homebrew Launcher).
Ah, ok then, i prefer ctrbootmanager, as i can enter different cfw and homebrew menu from sysnand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro