Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Question: As it only shows 'Ver.' in System Settings, no Rei or AuRei(:P), how do I know that I'm updating my EmuNAND or sysNAND?
Remove the (m)SD after the system's booted. If the 3DS crashes, you're in emuNAND. Change the theme or something so you remember.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are some people choosing to stay on emuNAND with A9LH? Just curious. Also, with A9LH, if I updated sysnand to 10.6, am I still able to install files (.cia) while in sysnand?

Februarysn0w

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why are some people choosing to stay on emuNAND with A9LH? Just curious. Also, with A9LH, if I updated sysnand to 10.6, am I still able to install files (.cia) while in sysnand?
because in my reason decrypt9 still not fully work on 10.6 sysnand or emunand.
yea, you can install cia without problem but you have to install fbi before update.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Ive got 2 SD cards though, one for everything and another (the one in question) and its only purpose is to have an emunand on 9.2 to load decrypt9. So when this sd is inserted i'd like it to boot straight to emunand using the 9.0 firm because this is the only thing i want to use it for
Why don't you use ctrbootmanager9?
You can select what to boot on startup
Put Decrypt9 A9LH version in root and choose it to boot before any CFW is loaded?
See ctrbootmanager9 thread here

I have set it up to boot into AuReiNand (sysnand 10.6) and in case something goes wrong and i need to boot Decrypt9 i can just choose Decrypt9_A9LH to restore nand's if needed

Yudowat

That one guy that shows up occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why don't you use ctrbootmanager9?
You can select what to boot on startup
Put Decrypt9 A9LH version in root and choose it to boot before any CFW is loaded?
See ctrbootmanager9 thread here

I have set it up to boot into AuReiNand (sysnand 10.6) and in case something goes wrong and i need to boot Decrypt9 i can just choose Decrypt9_A9LH to restore nand's if needed
So i can have 2gbs of space back ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Last edited by DjoeN,
Reactions: Februarysn0w

Yudowat

That one guy that shows up occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I dont use emunand on my main system as you could probably tell by my sig, and with a 16gb card, space is important. I already use bootctr9 and can use it to load decrypt9 but if i want the 9.2 stuff like getting xorpads or updating the stage1 for a9lh, ive got an emunand ready on another SD

GBHAKC75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
because in my reason decrypt9 still not fully work on 10.6 sysnand or emunand.
yea, you can install cia without problem but you have to install fbi before update.

You can perfectly use Decrypt9 on 9.2 EmuNAND, so that's not really a reason to keep it.

I would say safety. Most people here are afraid of losing CFWs with newest firmwares if A9LH is erased. The protection works fine on AuReiNAND, but hey, we're never too safe :)

Last edited by GBHAKC75,
Reactions: Februarysn0w

Februarysn0w

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You can perfectly use Decrypt9 on 9.2 EmuNAND, so that's not really a reason to keep it.

I would say safety. Most people here are afraid of losing CFWs with newest firmwares if A9LH is erased. The protection works fine on AuReiNAND, but hey, we're never too safe :)
Yes : ) so it's depends on there 3ds sysnand and emunand setting or order.

so anyway who never use any decrypt option for there nand or games just update there emunand or sysnand. it's all safe with a9lh installed sysnand
But I recommend you to backup 9.x nand just in case.

/*make sure your cfw has firm0, firm1 protect option before update.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
That's why i use it on a hardmodded 3ds ;)

My setup: (This is my testing system, before i setup/update stuff on my other systems)
- O3DS XL (hardmodded)
- 32GB SD (Samsung EVO Class 10)
- Boots ctrbootmanager9_A9LH with autoboot into AuReiNand_A9LH
- AuReiNand_A9LH Sysnand 10.6 main boot
- Emunand 9.2 (Hold "L" for firmware90, hold "R" for normal firmware)
* Under Emunand (firmware90.bin) i have Decrypt9 for xorpads (3ds to cia)

Also under ctrbootmanager9 menu:
- CakesFW_A9LH (boots into emunand with firmware 9.6+) (for testing purpose)
- Decrypt9_A9LH (For safety and NAND restore/backup) (don't think xorpads generatng works under the A9LH version)
- GodMode9 (pure for testing purpose)

[EDIT]
I would have put ReiNand also in it but AuReiNand uses the same folder "rei" to stare its files.
Maybe @Aurora Wright will consider using a new folder for AuReiNand (aurei) so we can use ReiNand also ;)

Last edited by DjoeN,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would have put ReiNand also in it but AuReiNand uses the same folder "rei" to stare its files.
Maybe @Aurora Wright will consider using a new folder for AuReiNand (aurei) so we can use ReiNand also ;)
It's pretty easy to change the default folder, just a few edits in the source.

In my own modified version, I got rid of the folder completely. All the files are in the /3ds/ReiNand/ folder where the .3dsx & .smdh already are.

Reactions: DjoeN

MSearles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to use AuReiNand, I install A9LH through the Homebrew browser, shut off O3DS, place "rei" folder and arm9loaderhax.bin at root of SD card. I'm confused with the firmware files. I plan on using A9LH. The guide states that "You can use the latest FIRM (the 10.4 one)." But then it also says "Only if you're using Arm9LoaderHax, and wish to boot the 9.0 FIRM, you need the firmware90.bin for your console" So which firmware do I use? What would be the difference in using the latest firmware as opposed to using the 9.0 firmware?

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to use AuReiNand, I install A9LH through the Homebrew browser, shut off O3DS, place "rei" folder and arm9loaderhax.bin at root of SD card. I'm confused with the firmware files. I plan on using A9LH. The guide states that "You can use the latest FIRM (the 10.4 one)." But then it also says "Only if you're using Arm9LoaderHax, and wish to boot the 9.0 FIRM, you need the firmware90.bin for your console" So which firmware do I use? What would be the difference in using the latest firmware as opposed to using the 9.0 firmware?
Place both firmware.bin and firmware90.bin in the /rei/ folder.

Manuel9181

GBAtemp Prosecutor
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ofc you need to have a9lh already installed on your device. Said this, you have to place both files into the folder called rei placed on the root of your SD

MSearles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. Then, when AuReiNand boots, it's going to boot into EmuNAND mode first, and if I want to boot into "Updated sysNAND" mode, I can toggle it, and from thereon sysnand will be booted unless I hold down L or R correct? What is the difference between using firmware and firmware90 on emunand? Why wouldn't someone just use updated sysnand?

Games&Stuff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. Then, when AuReiNand boots, it's going to boot into EmuNAND mode first, and if I want to boot into "Updated sysNAND" mode, I can toggle it, and from thereon sysnand will be booted unless I hold down L or R correct? What is the difference between using firmware and firmware90 on emunand? Why wouldn't someone just use updated sysnand?
Firmware90 autoboots you in your emunand with 9.2, firmware.bin boots you into a regular emunand that you can update, and without holding any buttons, you boot into the updated sysnand.
As answer for your question: People use emunand for safety: if their a9lh somehow got deleted, when messing with sysnand, there's no going back unless you hardmod...

MSearles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware90 autoboots you in your emunand with 9.2, firmware.bin boots you into a regular emunand that you can update, and without holding any buttons, you boot into the updated sysnand.
As answer for your question: People use emunand for safety: if their a9lh somehow got deleted, when messing with sysnand, there's no going back unless you hardmod...

What's the purpose of using an EmuNAND with firmware 9.2 when an updated EmuNAND will allow you to play any game with online access? Firmware90, firmware.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What's the purpose of using an EmuNAND with firmware 9.2 when an updated EmuNAND will allow you to play any game with online access? Firmware90, firmware.
I use a 9.2 emunand as a backup so I can run any homebrew, like Decrypt9.
Arm9loaderhax allows me to play my games on my 10.6 sysnand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, SnooPINGAS