Hacking Luma3DS - "An exception occured" - Possibly related to New Leaf?

darkvoidz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I'm having a pretty interesting issue that may or may not be caused by Animal Crossing New Leaf. I'm running a New 3DS XL, with Luma v.10.0.1 and Sighax.

I noticed that ever since I started playing New Leaf, the 3DS would shut off randomly when it was closed and in sleep mode. The battery wasn't low obviously, it would just be off the next time I opened it up. I thought maybe it had to do with a loose cable or faulty battery, but I also noticed that an exception error will occur if I leave the 3DS on the home screen for more than ~30 Seconds. Did some searching online and found potential solutions which I tried;

1. Reseating 3DS battery, resetting internal RAM
2. Updating Luma3DS to most recent version
3. Deleting "0000008f" folder located in Nintendo 3ds\2854f70cfe95e02f1ba638cd2c0602a6\c9b500f747800d315353333200035344\extdata\00000000

After doing all of these steps the system seemed to be fine, I had it sitting in the Home page for about a half-hour with no crashes, and was able to launch other apps no problem. However, once I re-launched New Leaf and stopped playing for the day, the Exception Error came right back, as well as the power shutting off in sleep mode. Maybe it was a fluke, but I really get the impression that New Leaf is causing this, especially since these issues first started at around the same time I decided to start playing New Leaf again. I'm running a physical copy, if that's important. Here's the exception error:

Processor: ARM11 (Core 1)
Exception Type: Data abort
Fault Status: Translation - Section
Current Process: boss (0004013000003402)

Unfortunately, it looks like I can't attach the actual crash dump file, so if any other details are needed let me know and I'll type it out.

Many thanks in advance!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Remove the microSD card from the n3DSXL.
  2. Turn on the n3DSXL and hold the (SELECT) button to access Luma3DS v10.0.1 configuration.
    • Select only this setting and nothing else: (x) Show NAND or user string in System Settings
    • If the 3DS turns on and off with a single blue LED blink, install the missing CTRNAND Luma3DS.
  3. Press (START) to boot to HOME Menu. Launch the physical game cart of AC:NL and check for stability.
    • Play the game without the 3DS system's microSD card inserted.
What happens?

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

darkvoidz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happens?

No blinking after changing Luma3DS settings and it booted into the menu just fine. AC:NL launches fine, only in the menu for now (I'm kind of afraid that starting a new save will mess up my save on the SD once I put it back in) but closing the 3DS doesn't seem to cut the power. It's been closed for about 20 minutes with no power cut.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No blinking after changing Luma3DS settings and it booted into the menu just fine. AC:NL launches fine, only in the menu for now (I'm kind of afraid that starting a new save will mess up my save on the SD once I put it back in) but closing the 3DS doesn't seem to cut the power. It's been closed for about 20 minutes with no power cut.
On a (different) spare SD card, backup your game cart's AC:NL save + extdata with either Checkpoint or JKSM.

Check if your (main) SD card is fake, faulty, or dying.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.

darkvoidz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a (different) spare SD card, backup your game cart's AC:NL save + extdata

Don't think I have an extra MicroSD handy, am I good to just back it up to a folder on my computer?
Regardless, checking for a faulty SD now... will probably take a bit since I have a lot to back up.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't think I have an extra MicroSD handy, am I good to just back it up to a folder on my computer?
Regardless, checking for a faulty SD now... will probably take a bit since I have a lot to back up.
The purpose of playing AC:NL without the SD card was to try to pinpoint where the problem was coming from:
  • AC:NL (the game cart itself)
  • 3DS firmware (semi-bricked frankenfirm)
  • SD card (corrupt data or bad hardware)
You should be fine with those steps 1-3 if you don't have another SD card to backup your AC:NL save from the cart.

Reactions: E1ite007

darkvoidz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation!
I just finished backing up everything and formatting the SD, H2testw Test finished without errors, but only tested 60958 of 61049 MByte due to it being NTFS, though I'm not sure if it matters.

Safe to assume it's something to do with firmware, then?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just finished backing up everything and formatting the SD, H2testw Test finished without errors, but only tested 60958 of 61049 MByte due to it being NTFS, though I'm not sure if it matters.

the card itself needs to be formatted FAT32 with 32kb clusters.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

EDIT - H2testw checking the SD card formatted in NTFS does not matter. However, the card does has to be in [ FAT32 format | 32 KB cluster size | MBR disk | Primary partition ] settings in order for the 3DS system to be able to read and write to it.

No, not yet for the 3DS firmware. Game carts are known to wear out and go bad.
4. Delete the *.h2w test files and copy everything back to the SD card.
5. (Finally) backup your (cart copy of) AC:NL save + exdata with Checkpoint or JKSM.
  • If you have any separate copies of AC:NL also installed on HOME Menu, back up the save + extdata for these too.
6. Download a .3DS or .CIA copy of your specific version of Animal Crossing - New Leaf (Welcome Amiibo). The downloaded copy should match Title ID or Serial Code to the physical copy.
7. If a .3DS rom of the game was downloaded, convert this to a CIA.
  • Converting a .3DS to .CIA
  • :!: Do not dump and convert the rom from your actual game cart. Assume your cart copy of the game is bad at this moment.
8. FBI install the CIA, and restore the save + extdata with save manager of choice.
9. Launch this copy of AC:NL. Check for stability again.​

darkvoidz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having some trouble getting the SD card working. I copied my old folders back to it and booted up the 3DS but none of my CFW apps are on the menu. At first, I thought it just wasn't reading the SD card, but after checking the settings it seems to be, but just doesn't want to actually access any of the stuff on it.

Reformatting and playing with some settings now. It's been formatted to FAT32,32kb cluster, MRB, all that jazz but still not detecting. If necessary I can get a new SD but I'm not even sure if the issue is with the SD or the system itself. Thanks for the help so far!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having some trouble getting the SD card working. I copied my old folders back to it and booted up the 3DS but none of my CFW apps are on the menu. At first, I thought it just wasn't reading the SD card, but after checking the settings it seems to be, but just doesn't want to actually access any of the stuff on it.

Reformatting and playing with some settings now. It's been formatted to FAT32,32kb cluster, MRB, all that jazz but still not detecting. If necessary I can get a new SD but I'm not even sure if the issue is with the SD or the system itself. Thanks for the help so far!
See if your Nintendo 3DS folder has two (2) <ID1> subfolders.

nintendo-3ds_id0_id1-png.200067

darkvoidz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe so? Here's what my Nintendo 3DS folder looks like;
upload_2020-3-29_0-7-5.png

upload_2020-3-29_0-7-29.png

Not the same folder names but I believe the same layout

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Finished another format/transfer, this time it said "Creating Home Menu Management Information. Please do not remove SD Card."
Message stayed up for a minute or two and then finished, rebooting the console afterwards didn't change anything.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe so? Here's what my Nintendo 3DS folder looks like;
-snip-
-snip-
Not the same folder names but I believe the same layout

Finished another format/transfer, this time it said "Creating Home Menu Management Information. Please do not remove SD Card."
Message stayed up for a minute or two and then finished, rebooting the console afterwards didn't change anything.
Back. Made dinner.

Oh no.. You have two (2) <ID0> subfolders. When you mentioned you were "reformatting and playing with settings" in post #10, did you perform something called Format System Memory?

darkvoidz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, was only playing with settings pertaining to formatting the SD card (Using different programs for formatting, cluster size, etc.) Nothing on the system end. The SD's contents I'm copying over should be the exact same as when I was first having the issue, and at that point I was able to access everything just fine (Save for the original Exception Error of course).

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, was only playing with settings pertaining to formatting the SD card (Using different programs for formatting, cluster size, etc.) Nothing on the system end. The SD's contents I'm copying over should be the exact same as when I was first having the issue, and at that point I was able to access everything just fine (Save for the original Exception Error of course).
The first image in your post #12 shows you have two (2) <ID0> subfolders.
  • 2854f70cfe95e02f1ba638cd2c0602a6
  • 292166636da767d9b644f7cfabec1d3f
Explanation
  1. The <ID0> is not the same thing as the <ID1>. The <ID1> is always the subfolder found within <ID0>.
  2. Having two <ID1> contained within the same <ID0> is a minor setback.
  3. The <ID1> is derived from the SD's CID (card identification); having two usually occurs due to migrating the Nintendo 3DS folder between different SD cards.
  4. It is possible to rename or relocated the <ID1> to a different 32-char long (0-9, a-f hex valid numbers only) <ID1> as long as the <ID0> stays the same.
  5. However, having two <ID0> is very bad. There's a possibility your original <ID0> containing all your SD titles' saves, extdata, games, dlcs, and updates are lost (ie, not recoverable due to locked away encryption).
  6. The <ID1> cannot simply be moved out of its original <ID0> to a different <ID0> due to encryption. Doing so will make matters worse backtracking with data recovery efforts.

This suggests the n3DSXL could have:
  • (A) had an EmuNAND setup with its own <ID0> where as the SysNAND was using the other <ID0>.
    • An EmuNAND (emulated NAND) is a separate 3DS firmware installed on the SD card.
  • (B) was the (target) system involved in a System Transfer that was receiving the Nintendo 3DS folder from another (source) system, yet somehow retained a copy of its pre-transferred <ID0> lingering in there.
  • (C) no longer has matching encryption between the 3DS firmware's movable.sed KeyY and the Nintendo 3DS/<ID0> due to a System SettingsOther SettingsFormat System Memory being performed (or a SysNAND restore that reverted to an older encryption KeyY).

darkvoidz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's certainly not good.

I can say with confidence I haven't ever formatted the system memory, and don't believe I've ever done a system transfer TO this console, though I think I may have transferred TO an old 3ds. So I guess that leaves the first explanation.

How should I proceed in that case? It's interesting to me that I was able to access everything just fine considering this is a pretty big error but is this causing my exception error/SD Card errors? The most I've done recently to the system was update Luma3ds, and delete the "0000008f" folder I mentioned at the top, so I have to assume these two folders have both been there a while

I'm gonna assume it's not as easy as just deleting one of them?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's certainly not good.

I can say with confidence I haven't ever formatted the system memory, and don't believe I've ever done a system transfer TO this console, though I think I may have transferred TO an old 3ds. So I guess that leaves the first explanation.

How should I proceed in that case? It's interesting to me that I was able to access everything just fine considering this is a pretty big error but is this causing my exception error/SD Card errors? The most I've done recently to the system was update Luma3ds, and delete the "0000008f" folder I mentioned at the top, so I have to assume these two folders have both been there a while

I'm gonna assume it's not as easy as just deleting one of them?
Edit - Haphazardly deleting whichever <ID0> is not an option.

The problem we have at hand is determining which <ID0> is the original, and whether or not your n3DSXL still recognizes that as its current one.

In your first post #1, the first <ID0> you mentioned is the 2854f70cfe95e02f1ba638cd2c0602a6.
Yet in the post #12, the other <ID0> or 292166636da767d9b644f7cfabec1d3f is shown to contain all the sub-sub-sub folders (ie, dbs, extdata, title) present in a typical library.

First, let's figure out what's the current <ID0> your n3DSXL acknowledges. In GodMode9, navigate within the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/data directory. What is the <ID0> listed inside data?

darkvoidz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the <ID0> listed inside data?
292166636da767d9b644f7cfabec1d3f
Though interestingly I noticed that GodMode9 wasn't in the luma\payloads folder, so I just grabbed the one from the "CFW Starter Kit" to get that working.
It's a wonder this thing held together until now.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
292166636da767d9b644f7cfabec1d3f
Though interestingly I noticed that GodMode9 wasn't in the luma\payloads folder, so I just grabbed the one from the "CFW Starter Kit" to get that working.
It's a wonder this thing held together until now.
Did you keep a back up of the Nintendo 3DS folder on your computer from following step 1 in my post #4? If so, what's the <ID0> it's carrying?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: