Hacking Luma works fine but I can't boot godmode9/decrypt9?

sirjosh50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I've tried both gm9 and decrypt9.
Basically the story is I put all of my old sd card files onto my new one. Something must not have worked right since neither sd card now comes up with my old apps etc so I formated my system memory and kept my old files on my new sd card.
Since the Luma CFW is stuck in the 3ds I still have that, I've tried putting godmode9 or decrypt9.bin (with button_ at the start like start_godmode9.bin to hold start during boot) but I can't load them.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried both gm9 and decrypt9.
Basically the story is I put all of my old sd card files onto my new one. Something must not have worked right since neither sd card now comes up with my old apps etc so I formated my system memory and kept my old files on my new sd card.
Since the Luma CFW is stuck in the 3ds I still have that, I've tried putting godmode9 or decrypt9.bin (with button_ at the start like start_godmode9.bin to hold start during boot) but I can't load them.

no need for button presses in the name. you do have the .firm of each, right?

Reactions: sirjosh50

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to ask if you were on b9s or a9lh. you can tell by luma version (hold select at boot) or what's on the sd card. arm9loaderhax.bin is a9lh and boot.firm is b9s.

sirjosh50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
.bin is arm9loaderhax. they go here: luma/payloads

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I forgot to ask if you were on b9s or arm9loaderhax. you can tell by luma version (hold select at boot) or what's on the sd card. arm9loaderhax.bin is a9lh and boot.firm is b9s.
My luma version is v7.1 and I have B9S (boot.firm on my sd card).

sirjosh50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
place them on the root of the sd card. make sure it's name boot.firm, and replace the old one.
I replaced the boot.firm with the latest one but it still says v7.1 when I boot luma.
I've also done this to try and update it https://3ds.guide/updating-b9s.html but on section II the first step I can't get Luma3DS's chainloader menu working.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is starting to sound like an sd card problem. you can install boot.firm to the ctrNAND as well, so the system may be picking that up. are your games usable?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replaced the boot.firm with the latest one but it still says v7.1 when I boot luma.
I've also done this to try and update it https://3ds.guide/updating-b9s.html but on section II the first step I can't get Luma3DS's chainloader menu working.
Luma's chainloader only works when there's more than one .firm in your luma/payloads folder. Download the latest version of GodMode9 and Decrypt9 (just so that you have another .firm) and place the .firms in your luma/payloads folder.

sirjosh50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
this is starting to sound like an sd card problem. you can install boot.firm to the ctrNAND as well, so the system may be picking that up. are your games usable?
I don't have any digital games to test. Ever since I moved my files to my new sd card neither sd card new or old has shown me more than the default apps but I still have my Luma cfw since that sticked to the system.

Luma's chainloader only works when there's more than one .firm in your luma/payloads folder. Download the latest version of GodMode9 and Decrypt9 (just so that you have another .firm) and place the .firms in your luma/payloads folder.
I put both .firms in to test it but it still won't load the menu after holding start when the 3ds boots.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any digital games to test. Ever since I moved my files to my new sd card neither sd card new or old has shown me more than the default apps but I still have my Luma cfw since that sticked to the system.

I put both .firms in to test it but it still won't load the menu after holding start when the 3ds boots.
Try pressing and holding start then boot your system. If that doesn't work and a new SD card doesn't work (and you confirmed it's not corrupted and it's formatted to FAT32), then your 3DS's SD card slot is dying.

sirjosh50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
it's probably the sd card then. it sounds like it's picking up the boot.firm of the ctrNAND which is on the system itself, not the sd card.
Try pressing and holding start then boot your system. If that doesn't work and a new SD card doesn't work (and you confirmed it's not corrupted and it's formatted to FAT32), then your 3DS's SD card slot is dying.
I tried the start thing each time I tested it, old sd card doesn't want to show anything but default apps too. I'm sure it's not the card slot though because it only happened once I moved files around and it reads the right amount of blocks on each sd card. Could it be that it won't accept anything new now that my 3DS is on the latest system update even if it has luma installed? Is there a way to get FBI without a working gm9/decrypt9 since I'd be happy if I could just get cias.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think rosalina can do that, but I've never tried it. I have an fbi embedded in my health and safety tile (old way of doing this). you just need to transfer the files. that's pretty much it when it comes to upgrading sd cards. either your sd card isn't formatted correctly or it's defective.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried the start thing each time I tested it, old sd card doesn't want to show anything but default apps too. I'm sure it's not the card slot though because it only happened once I moved files around and it reads the right amount of blocks on each sd card. Could it be that it won't accept anything new now that my 3DS is on the latest system update even if it has luma installed? Is there a way to get FBI without a working gm9/decrypt9 since I'd be happy if I could just get cias.
You said in your OP that you "formatted system memory" meaning your old applications are gone unless you restore a previous NAND backup.

Anyways, it sounds like your new SD card is a larger one (64GB+) that is not formatted FAT32. exFAT is the default filesystem for those cards and the 3DS does not support it. If you do indeed have a larger card with exFAT, you'll need to format it to FA32. GodMode9 can be used for this, and your old card should be able to get you to it - otherwise, there are computer programs out there that can format it as well.

On a related note, Luma 7.1 means you have B9S 1.0 installed. Newer .firms (such as Luma 8.0+) don't work with the initial release, so you need to update your B9S as well: https://3ds.guide/updating-b9s

sirjosh50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think rosalina can do that, but I've never tried it. I have an fbi embedded in my health and safety tile (old way of doing this). you just need to transfer the files. that's pretty much it when it comes to upgrading sd cards. either your sd card isn't formatted correctly or it's defective.
I can understand a defective sd card but I can't understand why my old sd card with the exact same files now doesn't show my old stuff (pre-format system memory).

You said in your OP that you "formatted system memory" meaning your old applications are gone unless you restore a previous NAND backup.

Anyways, it sounds like your new SD card is a larger one (64GB+) that is not formatted FAT32. exFAT is the default filesystem for those cards and the 3DS does not support it. If you do indeed have a larger card with exFAT, you'll need to format it to FA32. GodMode9 can be used for this, and your old card should be able to get you to it - otherwise, there are computer programs out there that can format it as well.

On a related note, Luma 7.1 means you have B9S 1.0 installed. Newer .firms (such as Luma 8.0+) don't work with the initial release, so you need to update your B9S as well: https://3ds.guide/updating-b9s
I made sure it was FAT32 when I got it. I have my backup NAND but can I restore that with just luma?

Also on a slightly different note I bought a flashcard before this incident (sucks I know) but could ntrboot ever work considering what we know of my 3ds now? At the very least can I still use the R4i Gold 3DS to play DS games with only luma?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool