Luma broke my HBL, suggestions?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by M-DitzyDoo, Oct 6, 2016.

1. M-DitzyDoo
    OP

M-DitzyDoo Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Hello! I recently switched over from rxtools to Luma since everyone and their mother said it was a good idea (and since rxtools hasn't been upgraded since I got into homebrew, I'd have to agree), but now the HBL doesn't work for me. It gets through all the boot up screens, but then hangs on a blank black screen. I'm on Luma 6.3.1 and updated to the latest HBL cia, so I'm not sure what could be going on and was hoping for some advice. I mean, I could pretty easily switch back to rxtools, but yeah, probably not the best solution.

2. BADDINOROX99

BADDINOROX99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    have you checked the hbl payload is on the correct payload version?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. AyanamiRei0

AyanamiRei0 GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.

GBAtemp Patron
    AyanamiRei0 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 4, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    just use the homebrew launcher cia for homebrew needs I might of misread the question but theres a suggestion

4. M-DitzyDoo
    OP

M-DitzyDoo Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    I am using the cia, it's failing to boot is the problem

5. bahamut920

bahamut920 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    What firmware version are you using? Did you System Update as part of the conversion process? AFAIK, HBL doesn't work on 11.1.

If you're below 11.1, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling HBL to make sure the payloads are correct?

6. M-DitzyDoo
    OP

M-DitzyDoo Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    I was already on 11.1 on rxtools when it was working, so I'm fairly certain it works on 11.1. And I already tried installing the latest version of the cia, didn't help either.

7. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    Try to run it after booting your emulated NAND through RXTools/Mode and check if it still works.

8. M-DitzyDoo
    OP

M-DitzyDoo Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Hm, not working in rxtools mode either now... could the boot.3dsx file be the issue? that's the only thing I had to overwrite when switching over, but I'm not sure why that'd be the issue

9. Xanol

Xanol Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2016
    United States
    Did you ever change the homebrew payload? If not, maybe you have a payload telling your system to boot to RXtools but there is nothing to load because you have luma.

10. andzalot55

andzalot55 I'm very delicious. mmmm.

Nov 14, 2014
    Canada
    Mc Donalds.
    You could try re installing HBL.cia again.

11. M-DitzyDoo
    OP

M-DitzyDoo Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Okay, got it figured out, the problem was the boot.3dsx file. Using the one from luma installation guide doesn't work with hbl, so I had to re-replace the file it told me to overwrite in the first place XD.

12. JCCG1989

JCCG1989 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Mexico
    The CIA version still needs its payloads, dowload the starter kit of HBL and copy the folders to the root of your SD card, it worked for me.

Last edited by JCCG1989, Oct 6, 2016
  13. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Does the HBL not downlod its payloads automatically on boot if not present? Delete the old ones and let it collect what it needs? Could have sworn when I switched to A9LH I deleted my payloads and it got new ones.

14. JCCG1989

JCCG1989 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Mexico
    Maybe the payloads but as I know, the boot files are still needed, so if he messed with those files he will need to do what I said anyways.

15. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    @M-DitzyDoo Also Do not enable the SVC Patches in teh config, it will break Homebrew booting from HBL, (as of latest commits of Luma) if you enable for stuf like dynarec or NTR, thats fine , but disable em before using HBL Homebrew.