Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
LulzSec struck again over the weekend hitting the US Senate, which has now reviewed the security of all its sites.

The loosely organised hacker group LulzSec broke into a public portion of the Senate website but did not reach behind a firewall into a more sensitive portion of the network, Martina Bradford, the deputy Senate sergeant at arms, said on Monday.

Despite the breach, the Sergeant at Arms Office, which provides security for the Senate, said that the breach had not compromised any individual senator's information.

LulzSec announced the hack on Monday.

"We were responding to their allegations. Basically what we're saying [is] that the server they got into is for public access and is in the public side," said Bradford.

LulzSec, who have hacked into Sony's website and the Public Broadcasting System, posted online a list of files that appear not to be sensitive but indicate the hackers had been into the Senate's computer network.

"We don't like the US Government very much," Lulz Security said at the top of their release. "This is a small, just-for-kicks release of some internal data from Senate.gov - is this an act of war, gentlemen? Problem?"

The comment refers to reports that the military had decided it could respond to cyber attacks from foreign countries with traditional military force.

Senate staffers were alerted about the breach late Monday.

"Although this intrusion is inconvenient, it does not compromise the security of the Senate's network, its members or staff," Bradford said in a statement. "Specifically, there is no individual user account information on the server supporting senate.gov that could have been compromised."

"The hackers may have done the equivalent of burglarising the Senate and bragging because they managed to steal a bunch of souvenirs from the gift shop," said Stewart Baker, a former cyber official at the Department of Homeland Security. He is now with the law firm Steptoe and Johnson.

’Especially embarrassing’

The Senate has been the frequent target of hacking attacks, with tens of thousands thwarted each month, Senate Sergeant at Arms Terrance Gainer told Reuters in early June.

Still, the break-in is just the latest in a series of embarrassing hacks against companies and organisations.

The International Monetary Fund has been hit, as have Lockheed Martin Corp, Citigroup, Google and Michaels Stores.

The break-in would cause embarrassment at the Senate, said John Bumgarner of the Cyber Consequences Unit, a think tank.

"They're all valid directories," he said after looking at data that Lulz posted online. "This is an especially embarrassing incident for the Senate, because they are often asking others to explain why their cyber security programs have failed."

"The information disclosed online ... shows that the intruders had administrator-level access to the Senate server. This access could have potentially been used as a jump-off point to compromise other systems in the network," he said.

Lulz, which is internet slang for 'laugh out loud,' has claimed hacks into websites owned by Sony. It has also claimed responsibility for defacing the Public Broadcasting Service network websites, and for posting on Monday data from PBS servers to protest a "Front Line" documentary about WikiLeaks.

Lulz claimed credit for breaking into a Fox.com website and publishing data about contestants for the upcoming Fox TV talent show, "X Factor." Fox is a unit of News Corp.
Source

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Whoa, I didn't expect this. Now they are really asking for it, eh?
tongue.gif

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can we please cut the LulzSec crap now? It's been fun and dandy, but the attention you're giving them only pushes them to commit more hacks.

First it was Anonymous, now it's LulzSec. It's getting sooo last season already.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to seem them try to hack the CIA. Not really because i support what they're doing or support the hacking of the CIA (no comment there), but because i want to know what the CIA would do to them if they did it.
tongue.gif

Honestly don't think hacking the senate will hurt them too much. It's filled pretty much exclusively with politicians full of hot air. They'll probably spend three years arguing back and forth between political parties whether they should sign a document authorizing them to call the cops on them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
granville said:
I want to seem them try to hack the CIA. Not really because i support what they're doing or support the hacking of the CIA (no comment there), but because i want to know what the CIA would do to them if they did it.
tongue.gif

They hacked the F.B.I site already and not much happened yet. Give it a few years though.

The more hacks they commit the more "traces" they leave behind.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
granville said:
tongue.gif

They hacked the F.B.I site already and not much happened yet. Give it a few years though.

CIA is an entirely different beast than the FBI. Lulzsec didn't even hack the FBI itself, just an affiliate website from what i heard.

Z

Zorua

It surprises me that these organizations aren't even trying to IP track them.
I know that they're probably using proxies, but c'mon it's the American government, supposedly the most powerful and influential government in the world............

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Zorua said:
It surprises me that these organizations aren't even trying to IP track them.
I know that they're probably using proxies, but c'mon it's the American government, supposedly the most powerful and influential government in the world............

In the age of DHCP connections, where most computers in the world have a different IP assigned everytime they turn on, IP's are worth s*it.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
granville said:
tongue.gif

it wasnt an fbi site, just an affiliate of them

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand the reasoning behind these attacks, and I'm not for or against them. But if the group isn't completely careful--and not that they can be, now that they've started--they may find themselves in an unfair situation in which they lose all rights because "someone" doesn't like what they're doing. And if they don't do their work correctly, this quietning will be quiet, and no one will really know what happened to them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...