'Lulzsec hackers' arrested in international swoop

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hivNh.jpg

The suspected leader of the hacking group Lulzsec has pleaded guilty to carrying out high profile attacks on several companies.
Hector Xavier Monsegur had been charged with conspiracy to engage in computer hacking according to unsealed court papers filed in Manhattan.
Reuters reports that the charges were filed via "a criminal information".
The news agency says that suggests that the suspect - nicknamed Sabu - had co-operated with the government.
US law enforcement officers have said at least three members of the hacking group had been arrested.
Irish police added that they have arrested one of five men being sought in connection with the group and are holding him at a south Dublin police station.
Charges against other suspects are expected to be made public later.
The collective, which is linked to the online activist group Anonymous, had claimed responsibility for attacks against eBay and Sony Pictures among others.

'For the Lulz'

Lulzsec claimed responsibility for exposing security flaws in some of the world's most high-profile systems:
  • 30 May 2011 - Lulzsec members hack into the website of US broadcaster PBS, posting a fake story suggesting deceased rapper Tupac Shakur was still alive and living in New Zealand.
  • 2 June - The group attacks Sony Pictures Entertainment, releasing usernames, email addresses and phone numbers of competition entrants.
  • 16 June - Lulzsec claims to have caused technical disruption to the website of the CIA.
  • 20 June - The website of the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca) is taken offline in an apparent "denial of service" attack.
Last month Anonymous published a recording of a private telephone conversation between FBI agents and London detectives talking Lulzsec suspects.
'Internal rift'

Fox News reported that one of Lulzsec's leading members had helped the bureau gather evidence against his associates.
The news organisation quoted one FBI official as saying: "This is devastating to the organisation... we're chopping off the head of Lulzsec."
Prof Alan Woodward, from the University of Surrey's department of computing noted that Lulzsec had been quiet since the middle of 2011 following an attack on Paypal.
"Judging by the level of activity this morning, where hackers have been pasting personal information about the person reported as having turned witness to implicate other hackers, it would appear that there is a considerable rift inside these groups," he said.
"The hackers are certainly acting as if they feel they have been betrayed by one of their own."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17270822

Ultymoo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chopping off the head of LulzSec? More like taking a truckful of sand from the beach... there's still more where that came from.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Chopping off the head of LulzSec? More like taking a truckful of sand from the beach... there's still more where that came from.
I believe you're thinking of Anonymous. LulzSec consists of a small number of people.

If you're referring to hackers in general, however, you're definitely correct.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny how lulzsec and anonymous are still thought of as organized groups.
When these people are sitting in prison, meanwhile attacks don't stop, there'll be one collective DERP heard from government organizations around the world. Then maybe they'll realize they have to take down every single hacker that claims lulzsec to "cut off the head".
It'll be interesting to see what happens during this fiasco.

Reactions: 2 people

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
[quote30 May 2011 - Lulzsec members hack into the website of US broadcaster PBS, posting a fake story suggesting deceased rapper Tupac Shakur was still alive and living in New Zealand.][/quote]
lol, i wish could do that. EPIC!I literally loled

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
30 May 2011 - Lulzsec members hack into the website of US broadcaster PBS, posting a fake story suggesting deceased rapper Tupac Shakur was still alive and living in New Zealand.

LOLLLLL. This still makes me laugh everytime.

Sad to see lulzsec go. They were hilarious.

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
They could have wreaked so much havoc if they had spent less time openly claiming responsibility for hacking attacks and bragging about how good they are at hacking and more time actually hacking things.

Also I very much doubt that they have a command structure like a usual "criminal organization" - you cannot cut off the head of an amorphous blob.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They could have wreaked so much havoc if they had spent less time openly claiming responsibility for hacking attacks and bragging about how good they are at hacking and more time actually hacking things.

Also I very much doubt that they have a command structure like a usual "criminal organization" - you cannot cut off the head of an amorphous blob.
Hacking groups need a very clear structure. Depending on the security type a group is dealing with at a given time, one hacker cannot perform all the "duties", everybody needs to know when to chime in and what to do in a particular order - without structure, hacking groups just wouldn't work. They need an "overseer" who supervises all this, so it's as far from an amorphous blob as possible.

Thank goodness they were caught, I have no idea why people cheered whenever they hacked services that YOU GUYS USE, making YOUR life more difficult, Sony's services among them.

Reactions: 2 people

xdmario1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you cut the head off of an organization that isn't even organized?

I'm fairly sure that members of Lulzsec do not know each other, much less have a defined "Head".

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How do you cut the head off of an organization that isn't even organized?

I'm fairly sure that members of Lulzsec do not know each other, much less have a defined "Head".
Lulzsec isn't Anonymous - they know, well, knew eachother very well, informed eachother about the exploits of overseas groups and logged them all on their Twitter account.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water