LulzSec hacker gets one year in prison for Sony security breach

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's go back a couple of years to good ol' LulzSec. The "hacker" group caused a bit of a kerfuffle as they gained access to important websites and leaked private information on its users to the public. Not exactly vigilante justice either, just the leaking of user info online. Eventually their spree came to an end, and authorities worldwide began cracking down on them. It looks like another former LulzSec hacker is behind bars now, all due to the breach of the Sony Pictures website.

Cody Kretsinger, aka "Recursion", was sentenced to one year in prison, followed by house arrest, and 1000 hours community service for the breach of the Sony Pictures website. Estimates put the damage caused by the hack at $600,000.

You may remember that LulzSec leader (the source lists him as the "Anonymous" leader but uh that's not right at all) Hector Xavier Monsegur (aka "Sabu") was caught some time ago and struck a plea bargain with the FBI over the identities of many other hackers.

It looks like prosecutors got the last lulz.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: nukeboy95

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well that's a blast from the past.
I honestly did not know they were still around, I thought after the leader was arrested that that was the end of them. Seemed like it because no one was talking about them anymore.
-Lucario

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Isn't going to prison for hacking an important part of a security consultants resume?
Pretty much. There just isn't a way as good as hacking to show that you know how things work. Well there are a few, but none of them involve that much publicity.

Just like I doubt Geohot would have landed a job at Facebook without the hacking before.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much. There just isn't a way as good as hacking to show that you know how things work. Well there are a few, but none of them involve that much publicity.

Just like I doubt Geohot would have landed a job at Facebook without the hacking before.

Reminded me of this;

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Only a year in prison eh? I would have given him a few extra years. Hopefully no one gives the guy access to a computer, otherwise he might find a way to shut down the jail's security systems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself